FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
The recoil springs on FN's pistols tend to run a bit stiff and won't short stroke on hotter loads like they sometimes do on light loads initially. Also won't have casings coming back at your head.

Reactions: Gnarlydog

·
Registered
34 Posts
I too was wondering this recently and found that +p was completely fine(although regular use accelerates wear/tear). Since I picked up my FNS 9 a few weeks back, I had only been able to find 115gr FMJ RN. Even though my FNS ate up any brand of this ammo I could feed it, I still wanted to find some 124gr or 147gr high quality hallow points for self-defense rounds. After picking up 3 boxes of WWB at wal-mart, I saw that they had Winchester PDX1 124gr +P bonded JHP. Long story short I ended up grabbing a box of 20 and have a magazine loaded with them for SD.

·
Registered
422 Posts
the only 9mm ammo in JHP we allow (meaning it's the only kind i ordered) is Winchester Ranger 124gr. +P Ranger T-series (RA9124TP) and the FNS eats it up just fine.

FN designed the FNS as a duty weapon so I'm pretty sure they built it to withstand +P ammo.

I don't think most people will shoot enough +P ammo to wear it down. All the FMJ we carry is not +P and we shoot alot more of that than the +P JHPs. I only have a few hundred rounds of the +P through my FNS, the rest (over 3k rounds now) is all standard Speer 115gr. TMJ.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Would starting the gun off with 100 rounds of +P be a bad idea? I'm going to the range tomorrow to spend some quality time with my new FNS-9 and want to break it in all in one session (at least 300 to 400 rounds).

I was going to start it off with 100 rounds of +P then go over to some lighter target loads in hopes the first 100 would loosen the gun up a bit more.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I tried to do a forum search but had no luck in finding an answer as to whether the FNS can shoot +P ammo. Would appreciate an answer to this. Thanks!
Most modern firearms now are built to withstand +p or even +p+ loads. Glocks, HKs, Sigs, and ALL FNH pistols etc. eat +p loads just fine even with continued use. Usually cheap guns and certain taurus and eaa guns states on there manual to avoid +p ammo. The guns Owners manual or simply calling your firearms manufacturer will confirm this info. Feed your fns9 all the +p ammo you can!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.