FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone run a PMM compensator installed solely using o-rings? I like the concept of being able to screw it on and off as I please. Not sure I want one if it's a semi-permanent installation.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Are you asking if it's a good idea to rely solely on a rubber O-ring to secure any muzzle device? I would have to opine...NO it is not!

If you download the install instructions from PMM's website you will see there are no set screws. It installs (per PMM) like your typical rifle muzzle device. You are provided shims for timing and Rocksett for securing.

It would be inadvisable for any firearm to have a loose or potentially loosening attachment at the "business" end. Just sayin'...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have one on a 509 Tactical. It uses shims not O-rings. It has never moved once the correct shims secured it in place. I have put many rounds through it and no problems or any loosening.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you asking if it's a good idea to rely solely on a rubber O-ring to secure any muzzle device? I would have to opine...NO it is not!

If you download the install instructions from PMM's website you will see there are no set screws. It installs (per PMM) like your typical rifle muzzle device. You are provided shims for timing and Rocksett for securing.

It would be inadvisable for any firearm to have a loose or potentially loosening attachment at the "business" end. Just sayin'...
Sorry, but I'm confused by your reply. The tread protector that comes with the pistol is secured only with an o-ring. I've never had a suppressor so I can't say how they are secured, but I would be surprised if you are supposed to use Rocksett or Locktite, but perhaps I'm mistaken. Why is it not the same for a compensator, or am I missing something?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have one on a 509 Tactical. It uses shims not O-rings. It has never moved once the correct shims secured it in place. I have put many rounds through it and no problems or any loosening.
Did you also use Locktite or Rocksett, or did you just screw it down?

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Sorry, but I'm confused by your reply. The tread protector that comes with the pistol is secured only with an o-ring. I've never had a suppressor so I can't say how they are secured, but I would be surprised if you are supposed to use Rocksett or Locktite, but perhaps I'm mistaken. Why is it not the same for a compensator, or am I missing something?
The 509 thread protector uses an O-ring to prevent loosening, not all threaded barrels use O-rings. The thread protector also only extends beyond the muzzle very little approximately 1/16". In contrast the PMM compensator extends considerably beyond the muzzle as such it is subject to spinning expelled gas and the spinning bullet itself. The ports on the comp also direct gases out of the comp horizontally to mitigate muzzle flip, this can result in the comp unscrewing itself or loosening in the opposite direction of the spinning gases and bullet. Therefore the compensator must be secured in such a manner that it cannot loosen or obstruct the bullet's exit path, doing so would be very bad.

Suppressors and compensators are entirely different animals. Since your OP pertains to the PMM compensator my replies will focus on those to not to add to confusion.

Reactions: Leftee

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 509 thread protector uses an O-ring to prevent loosening, not all threaded barrels use O-rings. The thread protector also only extends beyond the muzzle very little approximately 1/16". In contrast the PMM compensator extends considerably beyond the muzzle as such it is subject to spinning expelled gas and the spinning bullet itself. The ports on the comp also direct gases out of the comp horizontally to mitigate muzzle flip, this can result in the comp unscrewing itself or loosening in the opposite direction of the spinning gases and bullet. Therefore the compensator must be secured in such a manner that it cannot loosen or obstruct the bullet's exit path, doing so would be very bad.

Suppressors and compensators are entirely different animals. Since your OP pertains to the PMM compensator my replies will focus on those to not to add to confusion.
Thank you for the explanation.

·
Registered
468 Posts
The Comp uses metal shims just for timing. You will absolutely not be able to use the comp without some kind of compound on it (rockset, loctite, etc.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts