FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
I would be very interested as well. I don't like anything that is currently on the market. Went back to using the stock CH unfortunately

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Like I said I have to see where and when I can get them fit in, I am working of some pretty neat things these days aside form SCAR parts.

I have never found a real need for a charging handle out side of the factory unit. and I am a meandering gorilla when it comes to my guns and have never smashed my knuckles.

How about I toss this put: Based on what the market has for Offering what would you guys like to see that is different?

·
Registered
974 Posts
chargingh.png

Sorry for how crude the drawing is...

The handle needs to be angled to clear optics and mounts.

I would suggest a charging handle that is designed to strike the hand, fingers and other objects in such a way as to lessen the damage inflicted and pain. This can be accomplished by the following strategies:

Since the charging handle reciprocates front to back in a predictable motion, it makes the point of contact from a strike easy to determine. In other words, it is only the front or rear vertical surfaces of the charging handle that are going to whack into your hand, fingers or other object.

These charging handle impact surfaces can be improved by:

1) Making the striking surfaces broad and flat sided to spread the striking forces out over a larger area rather than concentrate them on a small edge or point. Also use a wide radius for all corners and edges to prevent cuts and gouges into flesh and objects from a charging handle strikes.

2) Angle the striking surfaces of the charging handle to help make a strike a glancing blow and to help deflect or push the hand, finger or object away from the charging handle (or the Scar away from the object). This also would help serve the purpose of a strike draining less energy and inertia from the motion of the charging handle and hopefully allow it to complete the cycle without jamming.

3) Add a cushion to the striking surface such as a silicone cover or perhaps a fat o-ring in a grove, although in such as way as to not prevent the charging handle from slipping past the object that is struck.

The idea would be to produce a charging handle that would hurt less and do the least damage to anything it might strike. I would say design it for wussies, but I would never call US troops wussies and others have posted that the charging handle is one of the main complaints of our troops. Make one that they would be more confident using and I believe it would set it apart from the other options currently available.

·
Registered
104 Posts
i run a 3/4" Freedom Fighter Tactical charging handle on my Benelli M4 and i run the Carolina Shooter Supply extended bolt on handles for my AKs. They are both similar in that they are larger than the stock charging handle and are round and knurled. For the SCAR, i would like something similar that is also angled. The HDD design is the closest to what i would be looking for but the price tag is a little ridiculous.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
I wouldn't mine seeing a charging handle that has a similar foot print to the Sig 556 handle. Less outside protrusion with that flared curve to it. Then maybe some unique texture for a positive purchase.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Not sure if it's been done before, but what about a charging handle that is double sided? so something available on both sides of the rifle?

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Charging Handle is a tough market IMO. Lots of options are out there and despite the fact that people think I'm an SE hater, I haven't been able to find a better CH than the EACH compared to OEM, TD, and Apex.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll restate that I want something like the HDD but at a more reasonable price. If such thing doesn't exist then I simply won't bother. With my optic and mount, the factory handle works just fine. I just wouldn't mind something a little more substantial with a little more finger purchase. All other options on the market, whether they work as advertised or not, don't really do it for me as they stray too far from original design.

If no one will make one... I'm open to a used HDD if anyone's got one.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I'll restate that I want something like the HDD but at a more reasonable price. If such thing doesn't exist then I simply won't bother. With my optic and mount, the factory handle works just fine. I just wouldn't mind something a little more substantial with a little more finger purchase. All other options on the market, whether they work as advertised or not, don't really do it for me as they stray too far from original design.

If no one will make one... I'm open to a used HDD if anyone's got one.
GG&G for under $30 is basically an all steel angled OEM. It's smooth like the OEM without the diamond pattern. I used one before I ended up with the EACH which worked better for me.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Not sure if it's been done before, but what about a charging handle that is double sided? so something available on both sides of the rifle?
That's what I was going to ask for. I like mine in the left, which works best for me in most cases, but in prone it would be nice on the right.

·
Registered
104 Posts
i'm with fmunk on this. I'm really not into the flat or square options that are out there. The OEM handle is fine but I need the angle to clear optics so I run the GG&G. I have no problems with the GG&G handle but for other folks I will let them know that it does have some "play". If the GG&G handle were a little bit larger and knurled, like the HDD one but at a price of ~$50 I would be all over it. Besides, charging handles are the gateway drug for the SCAR. If someone were to make a charging handle to my liking I would more than likely buy other products made by that manufacturer. I never checkout with just one item in my shopping cart.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
GG&G for under $30 is basically an all steel angled OEM. It's smooth like the OEM without the diamond pattern. I used one before I ended up with the EACH which worked better for me.

Don't care for the GG&G. As I stated, I want something similar in look to factory but with more surface area and better finger purchase. GG&G's handle is no larger than stock... only bent.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts