FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After toying with the 17 and the BCD in the yard yesterday I decided to draw something up in SW and print out a tester to use on the 17 today in the yard.(Range)
I'm a stickler for ergonomics probably a bi-product of having being strapped into a race seat in a 100*+ Car for hrs at end I hate using something does not feel and function 100% in my hands.

It's no secret the stock Selector lever is DooDoo Brown and based on the other Aftermarket units i have used I was just not that impressed. So here is my proposed PMM Selector lever for the 16/17 platforms.

selector logo 1.jpg DSC03982.JPG DSC03984.JPG DSC03983.JPG
i figure can take one of two avenues if there is some decent interest in these for you guys.

#1. Buy some black PLA filament and print out a pile of these in plastic, This tester(in white) took another 300 rounds on it today and is still tight like a tiger. The in-flil on the arm is at 100% which means the 3D printer does not Honeycomb the part it fills it in 100% for better strength.
PROS:
  • Light weight -and still strong(factory unit is ABS)
  • Cheap (MSRP on a set $8.00 or so)
CONS:

• despite the in-Fill being cranked up the finish is still a little rough, This is a non issue for me as you can feel the lever better and get grip

#2.Take the traditional route and machine them from 6061 and Hardcoat em.
PROS:
  • Stronger over the long run but a bit heavier
CONS:
  • MSRP would fall in the regular $20.00 Range for the pair.

Post up your thoughts. Regardless Im going to order up some Black PLA filament and print up some in that color, If there are an members interested I would definitely send some out to you at the cost of Shipping Via Snail mail for testing and impressions.
~Jarod.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Dammit man. I like both ideas. Can you show it with it on fire and gripping the pistol grip on both sides? Meaning does it go under your hand at all while on fire? Love your evil genius streak....always thinking.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
With safty in fire position, pic of hand in full grip fire position w/ pic from strong side . (is it to big and under your hand) by all means 6061, what weight..... if that matters you need to hit the gym !!!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Either works for me but also want it not to be in the way with a high grip on fire. Maybe downsize a tiny bit.

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
Looks good Jarod. How tall is it? I mean how far does it protrude from the rifle? I thought the OEM stuck out way too far.

Reactions: SeaMac

·
Registered
397 Posts
Yeah, I use the stock ones. Have tried the ones made by that "M" company. Prefer the stock ones. SO I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO TRY YOUR DESIGN after your testing period.

I like both options. But I would prefer the Aluminum ones if they are as good as they look. One thing about aluminum, you may have a problem with the screw loosening up on the aluminum ones. This can be fixed by using blue Loctite.

I believe the plastic acts to help hold the screw in because the hole is small and provides resistance to vibration. You might want to test well with an aluminum prototype. Also, you should sell the screws separately in case they get bunged up. I believe the screws that FN uses are not hard so they are subject to damage in an aluminum piece.

One last note: Rock River Arms has a design for their AR selector that you might want to check out. What they did was create a sort of star/knob at the end of the selector. This allows your thumb to rotate around the end of the selector as you push it. I see you have incorporated sort of a kidney shape in the selector to allow the thumb to rotate a bit, but if you were to "knob" the end of the selector (raised knob) then you would increase the mechanical advantage as the thumb could catch it better at multiple angles. Hard to explain. I will post a link to RR.

Good Picture Here: Rock River Arms ar-15-star-safety-selector

As you can see the "star" is raised and allows your thumb to rotate around it. On the SCAR the movement is only 60 degrees (?) so rotation is not AS critical, but the mechanical advantage of always pushing on the end of the selector is. Hope this makes sense to you.

I have four of your rear QD mounts and am VERY happy with those so far. They are made pretty much the way I would have done it. Hope this works out as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
+1 on the RRA style raised star end of the selector. I'd totally hit that is incorporated into the design. It's my favorite style selector, great tactile feel.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Guys thanks for all the feed back, I pride my self on making parts that people will use not just put on so they hit the cool a factor. The RRA Selector is neat as I can see how it would act like a pivot point for your thumb to rotate on, Kinda like a suicide knob for AR's.

Kam, right now the height is .250" it's a bit lower profile then the stock unit but I am limited as to how low the front can go based off of the factory standoff.
~Jrod.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I run the stock selectors and have no issues with them. I would like to try yours Jarod. I'll give you honest unbiased feedback. Let me know when they're available and I'll place and order.:?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I like the idea but haven't had an issue with the stock one. It feels fine and does the job.
Maybe if it was a little longer than stock for more leverage?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts