FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After toying with the 17 and the BCD in the yard yesterday I decided to draw something up in SW and print out a tester to use on the 17 today in the yard.(Range)
I'm a stickler for ergonomics probably a bi-product of having being strapped into a race seat in a 100*+ Car for hrs at end I hate using something does not feel and function 100% in my hands.

It's no secret the stock Selector lever is DooDoo Brown and based on the other Aftermarket units i have used I was just not that impressed. So here is my proposed PMM Selector lever for the 16/17 platforms.

i figure can take one of two avenues if there is some decent interest in these for you guys.

#1. Buy some black PLA filament and print out a pile of these in plastic, This tester(in white) took another 300 rounds on it today and is still tight like a tiger. The in-flil on the arm is at 100% which means the 3D printer does not Honeycomb the part it fills it in 100% for better strength.
PROS:

• Light weight -and still strong(factory unit is ABS)
  • Cheap (MSRP on a set $8.00 or so)

CONS:

• despite the in-Fill being cranked up the finish is still a little rough, This is a non issue for me as you can feel the lever better and get grip

#2.Take the traditional route and machine them from 6061 and Hardcoat em.
PROS:

• Stronger over the long run but a bit heavier

CONS:

• MSRP would fall in the regular $20.00 Range for the pair.

Post up your thoughts. Regardless Im going to order up some Black PLA filament and print up some in that color, If there are an members interested I would definitely send some out to you at the cost of Shipping Via Snail mail for testing and impressions.
~Jarod.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can print up a Plastic set and send them out as soon as I have the PLA it takes Aprox 30 mins to do the pair.I can set it and forget it for a day and make say 60 at a time? or the machine route?

·
Registered
6,665 Posts
Machine it and lose the lower flange, 6061 wouldn't need it for strength and rigidity right?

·
Registered
6,665 Posts
Funny you mention this J, I was planning on purchasing another Magpul set so I could have the full-length lever on the right side so I can shoot ambi without issue, I do now and there is. Make 'em both the same length. My $.02

What do you guys think about the two different size selectors? I never got the idea behind this?
~Jrod.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I can ditch the lower edge no biggie and that would make my life easier on the Mill, The plastic PLA Units would be fine with out them also if i just thicken up the main arm a bit also no biggie. What do you guys think about the two different size selectors? I never got the idea behind this?
~Jrod.
I prefer the same size selectors, large and aggressively textured.

·
Registered
6,665 Posts
Quick question J,

How big of a deal would it be to cut a relief around the top border, nothing major just a little extra bite. The MP's have a little stepped pyramid which is excessive. I think one relief would work great. Again, my $.02 YMMV

·
Registered
6,665 Posts
That's perfect, now what about the relief around the top's border? Hey, if there's room why not add your logo to it? WTH Jarod you gotta get your company's name out there. I for one would be proud to display the PMM logo and tell anyone who asks where I got it.

Oh like dis?
View attachment 28669

I will do a 3D Printed model in the morning when the wife is nor sleeping the Makerbot is loud!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have two 16's and two 17's. I would buy four complete sets in aluminum. Please make both selectors the same size and tell me where to send the money. These would be awesome. Knockin it out of the park.

·
Registered
36 Posts
great product idea! love your PMM mounts and looking forward to trying these out in aluminum... :welldoneif4:

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Interesting but thus far I've been happy with my Magpul selectors over the OEMs. Probably wouldn't change, but I think you have a great product!

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Very cool! :shock: I would be interested in trying these for sure.

·
Registered
6,665 Posts
Jarod!?! I just had a thought -I know scary right- in addition to the reveal around the top border how 'bout milling down the wider diameter end just a smidgen and either engrave your logo or leave it blank. It'll add some depth. Just a thought, like I said... :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jarod!?! I just had a thought -I know scary right- in addition to the reveal around the top border how 'bout milling down the wider diameter end just a smidgen and either engrave your logo or leave it blank. It'll add some depth. Just a thought, like I said... :biggrin:

Take you factory Selector off and measure the depth of the mounting slot then the height of the selector arm........you will find the answer you are looking for Mr Mac.:-D

I will most likely start having my logo on my parts I was avoiding it at first because I like clean parts not accessorize shameless plugging of everything I make, But as you said I guess it's important to build the brand.

·
Premium Member
9,524 Posts
I'd definitely be in for a set (or two) of the machined version.

1 - 20 of 167 Posts