FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the front sight have to cover the target for proper aiming of this gun, rather than being just below?

Is there an advantage to a sighting system like this?

I already own an FNP-45 with this type of sighting system and not sure I like it enough to purchase an FNS 9 if it is the same.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have shot 5 different fns and fnx guns and none of them used any different sight picture other than using the top of the front post.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
It's supposed to be covering the target like your 45.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't care much for the combat sight picture either. Rather have a POA or even the 6 o'clock aim. Not sure if aftermarket sights can fix this. Does anyone know at what distance the pistol is zeroed at? I remember a sig sp2022 being at 25 yards but that thing always shot low. Even with proper sight picture it would shoot 3" low at 7-10 yards.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
They're supposed to be sighted in for 25 yards. With my FNP-9 it shoots a little low with the combat sight picture, but my FNX 45 Tac is right on at 25 yards with that sight picture.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Since all the Fn's I've shot used the "traditional" sight picture, I got to wondering if maybe the different sight pictures required are caused by heavy/light bullets or loads. Has anyone tried different ammunition and what were the effects?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was reading some stuff on sevignyperformance and per their testing, the heavier bullets (135 and 147 grains) hit higher. And it would seem like the type of load would definitely affect it.

FNS & FNX Competition Sights | Sevigny Performance

also....i haven't been able to browse the whole forum yet, is there a thread on hand load recipes with the fns?? Does anyone know? Really interested in what peoples favorite recipe is.

·
Registered
66 Posts
CamboSoup

Thanks for sharing the link

The FN's I've shot were all with standard for caliber weight bullets, maybe that is why I've not experienced the "shoots low" syndrome.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Also found in the manual (section 20 on page 40)

20. Sighting
The sights are factory set for a combat hold (point of aom equals point of impact) at 20 yards. This may vary slightly with different types of ammunition.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I did read that in the manual. I also did some research that indicated difference of opinion as to which sight picture really is combat sighting. Guess it still gives us something to discuss:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts