FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Duluth Considers Fees For Police, Fire Response

DULUTH, Minn. (AP) ― Car accidents and house fires may soon cost Duluth residents more.

Duluth city administrators are considering charging property owners and drivers fees for police and fire responses.

City spokesman Jeff Papas says the amount of the fee hasn't been set yet.

If the Duluth City Council agrees to charge fees, it would then set an amount. The council could vote July 28.

Papas says the city is looking into whether it can charge different fees for residents and nonresidents. If so, fire and vehicle extraction fees would apply to everyone, but only nonresidents would pay to have accidents investigated.

Papas says the fees could bring in an extra $100,000 per year for the city facing a $4.5 million deficit.

He says the plan is modeled on a similar ordinance in Burnsville.

http://wcco.com/local/duluth.fees.emergency.2.774880.html

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm not a big fan of that. It dissuades those in need from asking it for help. It would cause one to pause to consider the financial implications of asking for police, fire, or medical help.

I can just see it now:

Operator: "911, what's your emergency."

Victim: "My boyfriend beat me up and he's going to get a gun and said he's going to kill me and burn my dead body when he gets back."

Operator: "Do you currently require medical attention."

Victim: "Yes, I'm bleeding badly."

Operator: "Ok, police response will cost 499, and EMS response will be 299 plus and additional 120 if you require transport to a medical facility. Please be advised that if you boyfriend sets you or your home on fire, Fire Department response costs start at 799."

Victim" "*click*"

Operator: "Hello, are you still there?"

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Hell we already have this situation when it comes to the Making of Laws(being bought and paid for) Does it supprise anyone that they then would want to charge to have it enforced? My question is: what happened to the Tax money that was collected to pay for such services?

I have a suggestion for those that live in the area in question, Ask this question to the Mayor: What Land, Property, Assets are owned by the town? Additionally, how many and how much is the Salaries of those being paid by the city. I'll bet that if they get rid of a few janitors and administrative clerks they could pay for the service.

Example: Here in my area the local cops that work at the Fart and fetch-it airport (Used to be a cow field) Make $42,000 a year but cops responding in crusers make $36,000 a year. Once the locals found out about the boon-dogle the cops at the airport now get $32,000 a year and no new tax increases are needed.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I bet if you look at that city you'll see that city management isn't taking any pay cuts/ operating cuts. This is one of the new trends with local governments everywhere in the country, one of the benefits of tax cuts is that you now get to pay for everything out of pocket.

·
Banned
112 Posts
We have a volunteer fire department in our small town. If they have to respond, there is a large initial fee of like $250 for a pumper truck and $150 for the smaller response vehicles and then so much per hour that they combat the fire.
OR
Like a lot of people, I pay the $50 a year donation to help support the fire department and then any response by them is free. I call it cheap insurance. It just makes it easier to accept when it's time to write that check every year. :D

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here - if they take U away in the ambulance - then you pay. But, if you call 911 and they come and you decline transport - it is free.

However, I'll be damned if I have to pay for the fire truck and/or police. That's what my taxes are for to begin with. Geeze...

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
ShipWreck said:
Here - if they take U away in the ambulance - then you pay. But, if you call 911 and they come and you decline transport - it is free.

However, I'll be damned if I have to pay for the fire truck and/or police. That's what my taxes are for to begin with. Geeze...
+1 tax man eats me up!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts