FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Major law enforcement groups said Tuesday that they oppose Gov. Ted Strickland's support of a bill that would allow a new protection against prosecution for people who kill an attacker in self defense.
One exception: Strickland's own State Highway Patrol.

The patrol and its state agency — the Ohio Department of Public Safety — have no official position on the bill but support the governor, public safety spokesman Tom Hunter said.

Under the bill Strickland favors, people who injure or kill an attacker in self defense no longer would shoulder the burden to prove their actions were justifiable.

The Democratic governor has long been supported by the National Rifle Association for his views on gun rights.

Director John Murphy of the Ohio Prosecuting Attorneys Association says the bill could allow drug dealers to claim self-defense in shootings of rivals in deals that went sour.

"The people it works to benefit are criminals who ought to be convicted," Murphy said.

NRA lobbyist John Hohenwarter countered that the bill would put an end to "people getting dragged into court for defending themselves."

A House committee recommended the bill Tuesday 9-3 and it is set for a vote by the full House on Wednesday. It already has cleared the Senate.

Several law enforcement groups oppose the bill overall but were particularly against a provision added Tuesday that would allow rifle owners to carry unloaded weapons inside their cars without having to acquire concealed weapons permits. The gun could not be carried on the driver's side.

The groups believe the change will allow a person to carry a loaded gun, ejecting the ammunition only if an officer approaches.

"We really don't think any changes were made that would protect law enforcement," said Jay Smith, a lobbyist for the Fraternal Order of Police, Ohio's largest police union with more than 25,000 members.

The Buckeye State Sheriffs Association also opposes the bill, director Bob Cornwell said. "Obviously, he (Strickland) does not support law enforcement and its concerns," Cornwell said.

Detective Steve Loomis, president of the Cleveland Police Patrolman's Association, said Strickland and lawmakers are going to have to decide whether they are on the side of police or the NRA.

"It's going to obliterate safety," Loomis said. "It takes less than a second to load a gun and do damage to us."

Former Gov. Bob Taft would not sign legislation allowing people to get permits to carry hidden handguns until the state patrol dropped its opposition in 2003.

Strickland said Tuesday that his office has been in discussions with various groups to try to get more support, but he acknowledged he hasn't been successful with law enforcement.

"I'm hopeful that ... we can come to a decision that everyone might not feel good about but will represent a common-sense approach to this, unfortunately, too-often divisive issue," Strickland said. "I think oftentimes the extreme positions are not the positions that provide the best public policy."

Asked why the patrol did not testify before the committee, Strickland said, "I did not urge them not to, so I'm not sure."

http://www.10tv.com/live/content/on...pose_Self-Defense_Killings_Bill_.html?sid=102

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
"It's going to obliterate safety," Loomis said. "It takes less than a second to load a gun and do damage to us."

The thought process of...
Restricting the rights of everyone in order to possibly hinder a criminal who will not obey the law anyway... I just don't understand...

Let's restrict cars because it only takes a second for a criminal to possibly use a car to cause damage to a cop. Let's ban ball bats for the same reason... and knives... because these things HAVE been used recently by criminals to hurt cops. So if you want to restrict firearms then you must also restrict these other things, right?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I agree with you T.A. . The other thing I wish to point out is; The Large police depts are on what side of this issue? Hmmmmm dosen't seem they care too much about the saftey of the citizens they are suppose to serve.

As for the issue of worrying that the Gang bangers will kill each other, well good riddance. My only suggestion is that they kill each other quietly, esp. in my neighborhood cuz most of my neighbors would probably assist them in their self distruction, otherwise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts