FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Gun owners in Connecticut registered about 50,000 assault rifles before the Jan. 1 deadline, state public safety officials reported Friday as they drew close to completing the task of processing reams of related paperwork.

That rough estimate comes more than two weeks after the deadline to register banned rifles and ammunition magazines—steps required by last year’s gun control legislation passed in response to the Sandy Hook shooting.

The bill increased the number of guns prohibited in Connecticut and banned ammunition magazines capable of carrying more than 10 rounds. Residents who owned the newly-banned items before the law were required to register or declare them to the state prior to Jan. 1, if they wanted to keep them.

In the days leading up to the deadline, gun owners formed long lines outside state police offices to present the required documents in person. Others choose to mail the paperwork.

Since the beginning of the month it has been unclear exactly how many weapons and magazines were registered. Employees of Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection and the State Police Special Licensing and Firearms Unit have been sorting through piles of declarations and registration applications, which were postmarked on or before Jan. 1, but continued to arrive in the days following the deadline.

Read more.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm curious to hear from the Officers in Connecticut about this issue? Are they for the registration or think it's a waste of time? I would think the politicians are wasting the officers time and costing the state money they could be using elsewhere.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
That's it?

·
Registered
469 Posts
That's probably about 25% of the "assault" weapons in CT. Most legal gun owners are not idiots. We just need an Executive Order from Mister O (like that's really going to happen)! The Dems poll numbers are so low, they may need OUR help to maintain power in 2014 and 2016. Not enough felons and dead people on their voting rolls to guarrantee their victory.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
As a resident of this gungrabbing communist state....there will be 50,000 knocks on doors soon..
pand of course , gangbangers get a free ride..only us legal owners take it up the kazoo. :-(

All of the republican. And democrat governor candidates, are gun grabbers,,,,
wow, what a choice ...yes, like I am getting represented...

a tea party member will be running for gov. Is the only strong pro2A. Candidate...
looks like I will be drinking a lot of tea.

Reactions: Gunny6

·
Registered
876 Posts
What the government will never understand is this.......When you take something thats legal and make it illegal people are still going to do said thing but with even more disregard for the laws. Case in point.....Prohibition....

·
Registered
250 Posts
At 50,000 - it appears that there are more assault weapons than people signing up for Obamacare. CT is supposed to be a shining star in the ACA roll out.

Reactions: Gunny6

·
Registered
969 Posts
For anyone keeping score.

Connecticuts #s --- 50,000 assault rifles registered ------ 34,000 obamacare registered

Reactions: P-Factor

·
Registered
45 Posts
At 50000, that is 50000 to many. This will just prove to the anti-liberty commies that they can get away with this. If you don't stand for liberty and the constitution on registration you have rolled over and joined them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It's easy to sit back and say "No way I would ever register mine". I honestly don't know what I would do if I lived there and was faced with that decision? My first thought would be hell no! But stopping to think about that, you would NEVER be able to shoot that gun again (baring full out war). That weapon would have to be hidden away with a sign "Break glass in case of emergency" on it. You could never go to a range with it, you could never go to any kind of open area and shoot with it etc. It would purely be a **** hit the fan weapon, no more sport shooting with it that's for sure.

Tough decision for sure.

·
Registered
44 Posts
How is this even enforceable for existing (non new purchase) rifles? Federal code enforcement official at every gun range checking serial nos and comparing to the registry? Don't see that happening?

·
Registered
72 Posts
How is this even enforceable for existing (non new purchase) rifles? Federal code enforcement official at every gun range checking serial nos and comparing to the registry? Don't see that happening?
My guess is they will do spot checks. So you never know when they may show up at a range to do a check. And it wouldn't be federal, it would be local PD I would think?
They didn't issue any kind of "registration" card did they?

·
Registered
250 Posts
It's easy to sit back and say "No way I would ever register mine". I honestly don't know what I would do if I lived there and was faced with that decision? My first thought would be hell no! But stopping to think about that, you would NEVER be able to shoot that gun again (baring full out war). That weapon would have to be hidden away with a sign "Break glass in case of emergency" on it. You could never go to a range with it, you could never go to any kind of open area and shoot with it etc. It would purely be a **** hit the fan weapon, no more sport shooting with it that's for sure.

Tough decision for sure.
More like Australia. There are no weapons here anymore.

Cache of 325 guns and 4.2 tons of ammo found in farm raid by Australian police | Mail Online

1 - 20 of 24 Posts