FN Herstal Firearms banner

If it were mechanicaly possible, I would like to see a.........

• 9MM P90/PS90

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • .40 SW P90/PS90

• .357 P90/PS90

• None, I like the P90/PS90 as is. 5.7 all the way!

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Im new to this forum. From what I see, I like it very much. Everyone seems to act like adults.

I plan to get a PS90 TR in the near future and convert it to SBR. My question is.........Do you think the P90/PS90's are capable of being chambered in 9mm, 40, or .45ACP cal. weapon. I know it is a long shot for FN to do this. Speaking as a police officer and firearms instructer, I think that a .45 or .40 cal P90 could take the LE SWAT market by storm if properly marketed.

Im fully aware of the LE switch to 5.56 weapons, but most SWAT teams I see do no add sound suppresors to there weapons. If I had to cut loose indoors with an unsuppressed long gun. I would prefer it to be a long barreled .45 rather than a short barrel 5.56/.223.

My purpose is not to start a "Pistol Cal Vs. 5.7" debate, but to exlplore the possibilities of a different Cal. out of the P90 format. I personaly think that a .45ACP P90 would be the ****. Even if the design had to be upscaled a bit.

Again, I know the potential for this is virtually nill, but its nice to dream. I possed this question on the other board quite a while back and nearly got flogged and put in the rack! LOL. Theres some good info over there but WOW those Mod's need to relax a little!

·
Administrator
11,078 Posts
I also do not see it happening. Just the amount of metal required to go to a larger caliber will make the weapon unsually heavy and awkward.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Based purely on my desire to have a MP5, I would love to see one in 9mm.

But really any of the handgun calibers would make this gun much cheaper to shoot.

I wonder if the magazine system would work?

Steve

Looking forward to getting my first PS90 sometime this summer. :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
I went to grad school with a guy who's son worked at FN (on the M249). I asked him to ask his son about the PS90 when they were first coming out.

Anyway, I was told that some guy at FN was, in fact, screwing around with building a .45 ACP version. Although it sounded more like a "I wonder if I can do this" thing then a "production" thing.

I never heard of it again, so I guess they dropped the idea.

·
Vendor
5,591 Posts
I like the PS90 the way it is. If, and I mean IF it could be chambered in a different round I'd choose the 30 Carbine. That would be interesting.

·
Registered
15,552 Posts
You always see handgun mags in singlestack columns in 22 - apparently, the shape of the case doesn't work well in double stacks.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I like it just the way it is (ie: 5.7). Muzzle blast is surprisingly mild out of the PS90, I did a test where I fired it w/o hearing protection and got off about 10rds before it started becoming uncomfortable so I don't know if a 9mm/45/etc version would be any real improvement (unless your fav handgun is in that caliber for interchangeability of ammo).
Tomac

·
Registered
54 Posts
For me, a lot of the appeal of the PS90 is the Cal. and the capasity. the calibur is extremely interesting. I like the ballistics of it, I can't wait for next month so I can try it out on some Prairie Dogs.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Some History for Thought

Some here will already know this but the 5.7mm in a PDW was done first in the USA. A variation of the M1 Carbine was chambered in 5.7mm Johnson. The 5.7mm Johnson cartridge was made initially from necked down M1 .30 Carbine casings. Of course need to mention that the M1 .30 Carbine was the first ever PDW developed specifically for the purpose as a Personal Defence Weapon. The .30 Carbine cartridge is actually an excellent ammunition for Close Quarters Combat use. The Israeli's (police & National Guard units) still use many M1 Carbines today due to excellent performance of the .30 M1 cartridge in an urban enviroment, including the ability not to over penetrate.
This bit of history and info leads to my reason of wanting to see a PS90 chambered in .30 M1 Carbine.

I'd also like to see a .22lr conversion or variation.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I figure that whatever you convert it to, the ammo has got to fit in the mag. So .223 is out of the question. Also, the ammo can't have a protruding rim so 44 mag is out (I actually opened up a mag and poured some in to see if the would stack- NO WAY, dumb idea, couldn't extract anyway!)

so here is a list of cartridges that will fit in the mag.(I'm not saying they could feed through the ramp!!- A new ramp would be part of the conversion-along with a new barrel and moving parts group. )

9mm, 9mm largo, .38 super auto, .357 sig, .40sw, 10mm auto, .45ACP, .45 win mag, .50 AE, .30 m1 carbine others??

the last three would have the most suitable length for the mag, but the 9, 40, and 45acp would be a nice choice for the obvious reasons

I wonder if you could use the same direct blowback moving parts group with those big cartridges.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I dont know how big the bolt is in a PS90 but I used to have an Uzi Carbine and was suprised at how massive its 9mm bolt was.

·
Registered
181 Posts
For an existing cartridge that would fit in the current P90 mag my vote would be for .30 Carbine. I don't know if the P90 could handle the cartridge though. 10mm auto would be interesting also.

I'd love to see someting like the P90 in the KAC 6x35mm or it's parent cartridge the .221 Fireball. This would take a wider magazine and probably require the mag, or the inside of the mag, to be curved.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts