FN Herstal Firearms banner

Would you feel comfortable carrying a .357sig backup sidearm while hunting?

• Yes

Votes: 28 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 3 8.6%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Would you feel comfortable carrying a .357sig backup sidearm while hunting?

READ BEFORE VOTING, PLEASE!

Just for clarification's sake, I am not interested in ANY other caliber choices, period! I have the option of configuring my 9mm EDC pistol for .357sig and would like thoughts and opinions pertaining to the use of .357sig in a backup role while hunting. I'm not talking while on African Safari or against North American dangerous game either, the greatest threats would be a thoroughly ticked-off wild hog/boar or perhaps the occasional agitated black bear, mostly hogs though. What I've determined so far is a 50/50 split in opinions. Again, please vote then offer thoughts and opinions focusing on the .357sig in the role mentioned. Thanks...

·
Registered
431 Posts
while hunting? So you would have a reasonable main weapon, i assume, and the pistol would be for the instances ware employing said weapon isn't necessary. moderate things that can harass and do a bit of harm, correct?

Reactions: SeaMac

·
Premium Member
9,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Correct! The primary weapon would be my 16s chambered in either .223 or 300BLK depending on the need. The sidearm (backup) would only be employed when as you say the main weapon would be overkill or an unfortunate occurrence took place rendering the SCAR inoperable or not readily available.

while hunting? So you would have a reasonable main weapon, i assume, and the pistol would be for the instances ware employing said weapon isn't necessary. moderate things that can harass and do a bit of harm, correct?

·
Registered
106 Posts
.357Sig would offer better penetration on a hog or bear. I'd trust it, personally. I'd still be picky about what ammunition I was carrying with it though.

What carry pistol has the option of moving up from 9mm to .357Sig?

·
Premium Member
9,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What ammo would you recommend? The pistol is my Sig Sauer P320C, there's an X-Change kits which allows me the option of .357sig.

.357Sig would offer better penetration on a hog or bear. I'd trust it, personally. I'd still be picky about what ammunition I was carrying with it though.

What carry pistol has the option of moving up from 9mm to .357Sig?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think I would feel ok with a 357 Sig, as long as the gun has proven to feel and cycler reliable then why not.

·
Premium Member
9,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Only preliminary but 8 out of 10 voted Yes, would like to know why 2 voted No? Care to share?

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Considering I usually carry a 9mm for backup... yes. 357 sig has great penetration. Not sure if Buffalo Bore loads any or not, but their stuff is good in all calibers.

·
Registered
22,118 Posts
In my state, only in bear season can you carry a handgun. 44mag for that animal. Not allowed to have a handgun on your person while hunting otherwise.

·
Premium Member
9,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With 76% Yes, I'm feeling a bit more comfortable in choosing the .357sig. I'd still like to hear from the 3 that voted No, what was the reason or concern with this caliber choice?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
The .357sig will do you good service for what you have specified.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've been interested in trying some of Lehigh Defenses rounds. The deep penetration and 1.3 inch wide permanent wound cavity sounds ike a good thing to me. 357 Sig 115gr Xtreme Penetrator Ammunition ? Lehigh Defense, LLC

I don't know that I would use that and that alone since I haven't had a chance to try it out - but I might stagger some of these with a known dependable JHP of some kind. It seems Underwood (the previous link from Lester) is even loading some of these penetrators in their cartridges.

·
Premium Member
9,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Poll's not over yet although there's an overwhelming percentage in favor of the .357sig for the purpose described in my OP. Not to be premature here but I'll now spend some energy focusing on bullet type and weight and must say the Lehigh Penetrators look rather "audacious" and worthy of a range evaluation. Thanks for the votes and input so far, but I'd still really like to hear from those who voted no, if not I'll assume you just chose to be let's say....different!

·
Registered
600 Posts
I voted maybe with the right bullet it would probably work it just depends on what your going to shoot with it. I'm kind of a 10mm guy though and my 29 gets carried every day with underwood 180 or 200 grainers also in the woods.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I wore out a Glock 32 (which Glock replaced) so I have a ton of time on 357 sig. At the end of the day, handguns kill by penetration and expansion. I eventually moved back to 127grain + p+ rangers in 9mm for non supessed use. It was only about 125 FPS different. If you have to have a 357 sig, it will work. I'd probably use a Gold Dot. They are super tough bullets and will penetrate well. Having said all of that, I carry a Glock 29 in the woods.

·
Premium Member
9,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Like I stated in my OP, mostly angry wild hogs or boars maybe an agitated black bear but I like bears and would probably seek other means of deterrent, hogs though not so much, they charge, they die!

I voted maybe with the right bullet it would probably work it just depends on what your going to shoot with it. I'm kind of a 10mm guy though and my 29 gets carried every day with underwood 180 or 200 grainers also in the woods.

·
Premium Member
9,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't HAVE to carry .357sig but it is an alternative. The native platform is 9mm, if there's a non-abusive round that will suffice and not place undue wear then I'm okay with that option.

I wore out a Glock 32 (which Glock replaced) so I have a ton of time on 357 sig. At the end of the day, handguns kill by penetration and expansion. I eventually moved back to 127grain + p+ rangers in 9mm for non supessed use. It was only about 125 FPS different. If you have to have a 357 sig, it will work. I'd probably use a Gold Dot. They are super tough bullets and will penetrate well. Having said all of that, I carry a Glock 29 in the woods.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.