FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed this was a problem with my PS90.
Look at the 3 pics at the end of the gallery:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_PS90

The hammer group is getting chewed up by the cases, along with the frame. I've stuck some velcro to protect it since the PS90 is rather expensive to just throw around like a $70 SKS.

S

·
0 Posts
I did not now that. while examining my personal weapon i noticed the same damage. I will definitely make some changes to negate this wear. Your velcro idea sounds great.

Thank you for the tip.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually got the tip from someone on AR15.com, but hopefully it will handle the hot brass. I got a nasty ring cut on my arm that I thought was an infection at first. But it measured approximately 1/4" and it was too much of a coincidence that I was shooting .223 Rem at the range that day :D

Here are the pics for everyone's convenience:

I recommend everyone take a look and try to protect it from further damage.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool! I put fuzzy velcro over wherever I saw polymer wear. I will do the same for my ARs even though people say they are tools. My dad taught me that whenever possible, take care of your tools.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
For a total newbie to the PS90, let me see if I understand - U are just attaching a piece of the self stick velcro over that part - and everything still feeds correctly despite the addded thickness?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ShipWreck said:
For a total newbie to the PS90, let me see if I understand - U are just attaching a piece of the self stick velcro over that part - and everything still feeds correctly despite the addded thickness?
Fresh cartridges are not fed through that chute. Empty/spent cases are ejected down that chute, so the extra thickness does not affect feeding at all. Good luck!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Polymer frame wear

Forgive my ignorance, but looking at the pics, noticed that the dust cover was not installed in any of the pics. The only real damage I've seen in mine after 250 rounds(so far) is alot of gouging on the dustcover/deflector in the ejection port.

is that a component not found on the earlier guns? Comments?

Thanks, Gregg

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Here are pics of my velcro job:

I also noticed some marks on the cover after my 1st range trip. Granted, the gun was on sandbags, and ejected rounds bounced around in the ejection port since the gun was on the table. That's probably while. Standing up, I'll bet this wouldn't have happened.

Anyway, I added some velcro there as well...

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Bolt Hold Open Wear

The bolt-hold-open (BHO) device is a replaceable part, so I took a picture after ~500 rounds through a new PS90. The hammer pack did not get as much wear and was about the same as previous pictures posted. The bolt hold open device gets chewed-up pretty good.

Another method of protecting the hammer pack is to get some self adhesive UHMW tape (0.0115, 10 mils thick). The UHMW (polyethylene) is very wear resistant and opaque in color.
It's available from McMaster-Carr Supply Company via mail order.
http://www.mcmaster.com
Search for 'UHMW tape" or look on page 3328. I recommend the 1" wide, 0.0115 thick, smaller strips can be cut with a scissors.
Disassembly of the stock is probably required to place it on the BHO device. I don't know if the UHMW will actually adhere to the bolt-hold-open device as well, but seems to adhere remarkably well to the hammer pack. The UHMW plastic also trims well with an Xacto knife.
Just letting others know that this is another good method of protecting the hammer pack from spent case damage. The BHO device damage concerns me less since it is replaceable and hopefully will be available from FNH in the near future.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
See, I've had people argue w/ me that this piece isn't affected by this polymer damage, and that it's only the trigger pack that gets this wear. But, I saw wear here too after my 1st range trip.

I assumed that this might have been because I had the gun on sandbags, and one was covering the ejection port (so maybe the rounds bounced around more).

While I covered the side of the trigger pack before even hitting the range, after I saw a little wear on that cover after my 1st range trip, I put velcro on that part too.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I remember back to my snow skiing days that you could buy a very think clear tape that you could put on the top or your skis to protect them - I have no idea if anything like that is sold any more.

but i was wondering if that would work better than velco
The velco just looks so "cheesy" on a $1600 + weapon.
A heavy duty clear tape would look much better, just wondering how it would hold up - there has to be somthing better than velcro

I wonder how the fully auto P90 holds up - I highly doubt you will see those guys with velcro on their weapons

1 - 20 of 99 Posts