FN Herstal Firearms banner

Do you prefer Metal or Polymer guns?

• All Metal Baby!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pass the Polymer!

• I'm a complicated guy... I like both...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of us like both, but as a whole, do you prefer metal guns or polymer guns?

I used to prefer metal, steel preferably. Years ago, I was a 1911 fiend. Over time, my gun interests changed. And now, every one of my guns are polymer now....

·
Registered
27 Posts
I like both.

In a service grade gun, I prefer polymer. In a match grade gun, I prefer steel.

Bolt guns, sniper rifles are exceptional, of cause.. :D

·
Registered
205 Posts
Metal all the way.

Look at your Glocks or P99s. What's plastic there? Only the frame, and not even that at all. All the guide rails, reinforcements and that stuff is made of metal.

Metal has it's big advantages, of being still strong with minimum thickness. If I were to make a damn good looking gun, even if it were a futuristic design, I would make it out of metal. Sure, I would cast many parts, cause that saves work, and can be as strong as machined parts. Hardening of the parts is an essential part in making a gun, and with plastic, you are quite fixed to the specific properties of the plastic you take. When you use metal instead, you can differentially harden parts, and get different properties in one piece of the same metal.

With the technonlgy of today, you can create anything out of metal, it has it's special feel, that plastics will never have, and it will probably even last longer. I have seen 600+ year old swords, that look like they are new, and even have the same strength and durability they had when they were made. Now, someone show me a 600+ year old Glock frame with these attributes ;-)

If it is for a rifle, then plastic can be applied everywhere they want to, except for the action itself (barrel, hammer / trigger group, bolt, whatever belongs to that).

I would rather tend to metallic polymers for the future, as they are clearly coming more and more. (SIG uses these already very frequent, as all SIG Aluminium Frames are made out of a Polymer, not plain Aluminium)

Reaper

PS. didn't want to retype it all again ;-)

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's obvious that there is still metal in the polymer handguns. But, you know what I meant.

Some people refuse to pick up a polymer framed handgun (Glock, XD, P99, etc). On my handgun forum, tthere's always a few 1911 fanatics who won't own anything else.

That was what I meant by the poll.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I like both but I definately have developed a leaning to steel so I picked that side.

I feel I had to since I CCW'd a Glock(G30) for 8 years then I decided I REALLY wanted to own a 1911 because I never had. Within 6 months of buying, firing, and carrying the 1911 I realized I never picked up, fired, or carried my G30 anymore. I sold it. I am not the kind of guy who sells his firearms either. I own just about every firearm I have had since I was 9 years old(to my wife's displeasure) but I couldn't wait to sell that thing.

I actually used the money from it's sale to buy a Bear recurve bow, of all things, for hunting.

I WILL own another polymer framed gun at some point. My wife has decided she loves the feel of the G26 and wants her CCL so we'll shop around for polymer pistols in that size/weight range in 9mm.

MY next pistol will be steel as well, however. I want to play with and experiment with one of the tiny 1911s in .45 ACP. I have heard mixed reviews about how they function but the Kimber Ultra RCP makes me all tingly inside. ;) I may get the SA GI micro instead and massage it into what I want. That should be cheaper than buying the finished Kimber.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Too much plastic is the rule of thumb anymore. I like buy stuff I can pass down to the children and grandchildren. I also like the look of the steel and wood combo. Plastic is great for cups and bottles but I'm not a big fan of coving my gun in it! I'ts really not that much weight saved anyway.

·
Registered
14 Posts
CHICAGO TYPEWRITER said:
Too much plastic is the rule of thumb anymore. I like buy stuff I can pass down to the children and grandchildren.
Plastic will be here after humans are extinct and the steel has rusted away. :wink:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I like both but I prefer metal, it just feels more solid since it's heavier. Any reason why gun manufacturers don't use Titanium for the frame/slide? That would be great since it's light yet strong.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I have seen titanium on a FEW semi auto handguns - but they are multi thousand dollar guns usually. There is a 1911 made by STI called the Tiki. I think it's something like $10,000 or so :p

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Wow... this is an old thread!

I like both. Variety is great.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Steel was my preference until God struck me in the head with the Walther P99 one day and said, "Here, use this!" :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
857 Posts
ShipWreck said:
Steel was my preference until God struck me in the head with the Walther P99 one day and said, "Here, use this!" :shock: :shock: :shock:
Gonna have to rent one of those and try it
see if i can get past the looks

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To me, with the two tone color (I hard chromed my slide) - the P99 looks kewler than any other gun I've seen. I have the newer style frame, though. Some P99s fans like the original fram, but the new frame and new slide look kewler :?

·
Registered
857 Posts
ShipWreck said:
To me, with the two tone color (I hard chromed my slide) - the P99 looks kewler than any other gun I've seen. I have the newer style frame, though. Some P99s fans like the original fram, but the new frame and new slide look kewler :?
To each his own - I think the grips are so fugly with the "pimples" and i just don't care for the overall shape of the gun

but looks aside, i will still give it an honest try

·
Vendor
5,704 Posts
I love my Glock 17 and my PS90! But I also love the feel and ruggedness of the M1A1. I hate the AR-15 just because of the cleaning but love the AK-47 because of the simplicity. I Love the HK-91 but hate it also because the hand guard gets hot after 60 or so rounds of fireing

·
Registered
857 Posts
wlcohen said:
the more i shoot plastic guns, the more i like my 1911
OK - I may have to change my tune. The more I shoot my new S&W M&P .40 the more I am falling in love. The recoil is very soft and with the laser on the rail, you can really get off multiple shots very quickly.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts