FN Herstal Firearms banner

Popular knives, size comparison

4K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  wolverine_173 
#1 ·
Here are some popular knives for size comparison.
whats your favorite wilderness knife, steel, blade shape etc..?

#3 ·
I've mostly use folders just because all I've really hunted is small game and waterfowl, but I've been getting into deer hunting and looking for a fixed blade for that. ESEE has a new knife coming out in June that looks like it might fit what I want.

#7 ·
I use both but only carry a fixed blade in my pack when big game hunting. I always have a pocket knife though. The Spyderco in this picture has been nice but I wouldn't have bought it fully serrated for full price. This was a $35 pawn shop special, not bad for a normally $120 knife. Either way I love Spyderco! Business card and pen for size comparison.

Eyewear

#9 ·
I use both fixed and folders. Benchmade (Mel Pardue designs) and I too hunt big game A LOT while living here in the Pacific Northwest. I hunt from OR, ID, MT, UT... you name it. I only use me fixed blades for skinning and or quartering (but you need a bone saw for the big bulls!) Other than that, a good big folder to dress all my animals. Hiking in 10 or 12 miles (one way) in snow I don't want 2 of anything for weight reasons... heck by day 5 I don't even want to take 2 packs of gum in my pack! :-D Of course it's when your legs are spent on day 6 or 7 that you shoot a big ass bull 7.5 mile in and get to make 3 trips in to get him all out!

#10 ·
Fixed and folders. I have cleaned a lot of deer with my spyderco military. One of my if not my favorite blades. Its light thin and made out of s30V. Good steel.

Reactions: McCrapper
#12 · (Edited)
I've never had a spyderco or benchmade fold up on me. I'm also a big fan of the higher end Kershaws and kershaws zero tolerance brand. I beat the crap out of my knives so I know that they will not fail me when I need them.

This is my latest one. I've been rockin it over here for a few months.

Its S30V

Reactions: 00stormbringer
#15 · (Edited)
I generally prefer a fixed blade over a folder for actual work. Carrying is another story. Folders have inherent problems, mostly with the hinge point.

Modern folders are much less likely to accidently close, but that really isn't my biggest gripe. It's the grit and filth that gets caught in the action that I hate. Sometimes it's almost impossible to free up the action, without taking the knife apart. This seems to be made worse with blood. When skinning, I have no problem using a folder. When gutting white-tailed and other large game, especially when removing the esophagus, trachea, and back connective tissue, a blade gets immersed in blood and other tissues.

#16 ·
Have you tried any new knives with the bearing bushings (little bearings in a polymer ring, knife roles on the bearings)? I haven't gotten it immersed in blood, but the bearings on my ZT 0561 have stayed smooth after a year of carrying it and getting the knife pretty dirty. I like it a lot better than the standard bushings other knives have.

Reactions: KameronTKelly
#17 · (Edited)
Yes, I have. A nice Benchmade comes to mind.

I too like the bearings, and as long as it isn't full of gunk, it works fine.
Because I travel so much, I carry a small bug-out-bag with me. I keep a couple of knives in that bag. Those knives are used in my hotel as kitchen knives. Even cutting fruits can cause problems with the knife's action due to the sugars in fruits.

A good pocket knife is a great carry tool, but when I actually am using a blade, I generally prefer a fixed bladed knife, just my preference.

#18 ·
I have had my knives emmersed in blood and haven't had any issues with the action getting gummed up. Even the Infidel has been fine after getting and butchering and that thing can't even stand light dust. A little soap and water and its good as new. While on the subject I have had the spyderco in some serious muck before and the bearings are still nice and smooth. I understand trusting fixed blades more than folders but the point I'm trying to make is that there are some awesomely reliable folders out there.

Reactions: Dobe and McCrapper
#19 · (Edited)
The selection of folders currently is better now than I have ever seen it. When I was younger , I primarily carried a Case or a Buck. Now, the selection and the quality is much better for folders than ever. I generally carry Benchmade now, but there are others as good or better.

I wouldn't hesitate to use a folder for field dressing, but I certainly prefer a short fixed blade. Even backpacking, I generally will go the extra weight and carry a 6" Randall #1. It's just big enough to chop with, but small enough for a long trek.

#20 ·
My back packing/woodsman knife is an ESEE 6. That's as big as I'll carry, but I also have a Buck Vantage Pro on me and a leatherman Juice S2. I use the Buck for finer tasks and the ESEE is the chopper.

The one thing I'm missing now is a good small fixed blade knife. Almost got a SOG Field pup, still might as they're pretty cheap.

Reactions: KameronTKelly
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.