FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there have been some posts about optics but I was hoping to tailor a thread, :lol:, to my specific situation. I live in south Texas, and if anyone has ever hunted down here you know that most shots are 150 - 300 yards. I will be using this to hunt hogs and shoot at the range. Knowing what my uses will be which Vortex optic would you wonderful people suggest? The reason I'm sticking to only Vortex is because I have a source that can get their products at a STEAP discount. Thanks for the infinite amount of wisdom you wonderful people spread to us newbies!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a Vortex Razor 1-6 and its a awesome piece of glass. 6x is plenty for 300 yds. The Viper 1-4 would be pushing it at 300.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Trijicon Variable Combat Optical Gunsight (VCOG) 1-6x24mm Illuminated Segmented Circle Sight with Mount; BDC for 7.62/175gr. Also, NV compatible.
6x is fine for me out to 300 yds.
If hog hunting a night add a day/night NV device (e.g. ATN PS22 or PS28 with IR illuminator/laser - LDI DBAL-D2).

The VCOG and ATN setup is expensive, but a great value (quality, reliability, accuracy, day-night hunting).
Also, be ready to hull around about 12 pounds of rifle.

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
I just got a deal at bullets.com on a 3-9x44 that really works nice It's the PST with illuminated reticle--which I don't need. The Vortex is well done in packaging and customer care. I was wondering if the non illuminated (which cost less) are as good as these, just minus the cost of illumination. I got a nice MOA reticle however and like to use holdover so I'm happy.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
The PSTs are nice for the price, but in no way compare to the Razors. Just replaced my 6-24 PST on a bolt gun with a Razor 5-20. The Razor glass is amazing, better than my Nightforce imo. The illumination is also much brighter. Only downside is the weight. The 1-6 would suit your needs on the SCAR.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Trijicon Variable Combat Optical Gunsight (VCOG) 1-6x24mm Illuminated Segmented Circle Sight with Mount; BDC for 7.62/175gr. Also, NV compatible.
If hog hunting a night add a day/night NV device (e.g. ATN PS22 or PS28 with IR illuminator/laser - LDI DBAL-D2).

The VCOG and ATN setup is expensive, but a great value (quality, reliability, accuracy, day-night hunting).
Do you think the VCOG's value outweighs the Elcan? I am still trying to decide between the ELCAN, VCOG, Khales 1x6 and Mark VI?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Do you think the VCOG's value outweighs the Elcan? I am still trying to decide between the ELCAN, VCOG, Khales 1x6 and Mark VI?
When I did my research, I narrowed it down to the VCOG or Leupold MkVI. I preferred the reticle options from the VCOG. All said, the VCOG or Mk VI are about the same, including pricing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm saving my bones for a Leupy MkVI with TMR-D reticle. I prefer the ability to use my own dope to dial/hold a specific mil rather than relying on a BDC. I have had good luck with the BDC's on ACOG's and the like out to about 500~600m but depending on the load it's been off by quite a bit (last time I shot with a TA11E I had to hold on the 600m mark to get hits at 500m shooting PRVI 147gr).

·
Registered
173 Posts
that's a nice rig......

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I went with the Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 FFP EBR-1 (moa) and I must say I'm impressed for 800 bucks. I think it would serve you well on the ranch. :?

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Nice!!!

·
Registered
162 Posts

This is my current pig hunting setup minus the PEQ (I just use the ATN illuminator), works great but with a suppressor on the end the weight is an issue. bring some shooting sticks... scar vcog.JPG

1 - 18 of 18 Posts