FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you recommend as the best powder to reload with?

Wondering if anyone has reloaded what I am currently planning... experience, feedback, and especially powder recommendation is very welcome!

Using brand new Lapua cases, 178gr Hornady ELD Match. Preparing for "longer range" large game hunting activity. (AK moose).

Looking for experienced re-loaders on here on what they would recommend for type of powder. Given the season and location I'm planning on cold to warm weather, potentially very wet conditions. Also, will be practicing on some large feral hogs in SE states.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
12,041 Posts
I use Ramshot TAC, IMR4064, and sometimes Shooters Tac Rifle or Match Rifle.

Depends on the projectile, case, and platform.

For the 17, IMR4064 or Ramshot TAC. Ramshot TAC is my preferred in LC with a 175gr Sierra Match or IMR4064 in Lapua with 167gr Lapua OTM Scenar.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use Ramshot TAC, IMR4064, and sometimes Shooters Tac Rifle or Match Rifle.

Depends on the projectile, case, and platform.

For the 17, IMR4064 or Ramshot TAC. Ramshot TAC is my preferred in LC with a 175gr Sierra Match or IMR4064 in Lapua with 167gr Lapua OTM Scenar.
very helpful thanks! Just picked up some IMR4064 so I think I am on a good path forward!

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've had good luck with 4064, Varget and 4895. Best groups were with 4895 with either 175 SMK's or 168 SMK's.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I know everyone has their favorite. I have been reloading for 50 years, and reloading .308 for about 7. I use BLC-2 (42 to 44 grains depending on range, etc.) with Hornaday 168 gr. A-Max or Eld-X. I find that to be far and away my most accurate load.

·
Registered
947 Posts
4064 and Varget are my go-to's for .308. Varget has a bit better temperature stability (do not seem to get as much shift at temperature extremes), but get MOA or better out of my FNAR with either powder. I typically use one of several different 168 gr. projectiles depending on desired use.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts