FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15,552 Posts
Honestly - I know there is a difference in the more recent hammer packs - but I don't think it matters.

But, the trirails came out later - and they all probably have the newer packs.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I thought that the only gun that got a new trigger pack was the fs2000? I dident know about the ps90 having one.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Some tri-rails have the old pack.

As for date maybe pre-september 2007 all have the old pack.
I don't remember actually. I'll look into it.

·
Registered
980 Posts
ss190 said:
I thought that the only gun that got a new trigger pack was the fs2000? I dident know about the ps90 having one.
It seemed like the FS2000 was changed first. But they've done both now.

I believe there is an increased possibility of an out of battery detonation with the newer packs. Personally, I would look for a PS90 with the old style pack.

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
Promoted Pawn said:
I believe there is an increased possibility of an out of battery detonation with the newer packs. Personally, I would look for a PS90 with the old style pack.
+1
I'd rather have the old trigger pack than the new one.

ruthless : Why would you rather have the new trigger pack if you could choose?

·
Registered
156 Posts
ss190 said:
I believe they changed both because the deleted part was interchangeable between hammer group assemblies...

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Was the older model the one with the forward sear, and the newer model the one with the double-notched sear?

Tony

·
Administrator
11,080 Posts
How many forums are you going to post this question on?

Either pack is safe, new or old. If you try to modify either pack, you will screw yourself out of the factory warrantee. Replacement trigger packs are not available from FN.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Ruthless. I wouldn't worry about having to 'send anything in'.
Even if it was insisted that you convert the old style to the newer pack, this could be as simple as removing the one old part.- Not a terrible inconvenience.
You'd likely be forfeiting a part of the hammer group, not the whole assembly, or the whole weapon.
But really, I don't worry about it.
Having seen partially destroyed PS90 where "something went wrong" (I don't know what went wrong- it could have been a round slamming into the back of an un-extracted, live, chambered round, OR it could have been a simple out-of-battery drop of the hammer-either way it was a freak accident in that it created a chain reaction- several rounds exploding).
Anywho, having seen that, I'm glad to have the old type of trigger pack, which absolutely prevents out-of-battery release of the hammer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
HK SD9 Tactical said:
this is the second one. is that a TOS violation?

HK SD9 Tactical said:
Either pack is safe, new or old. If you try to modify either pack, you will screw yourself out of the factory warrantee. Replacement trigger packs are not available from FN.
Dont recall asking if one was safe or not. Did i mention modifying anything? Trigger pack sure is a touchy subject with you FN guys LOL
Makes me wonder if the 2 guys that trolled on my OP have something to hide?

I only ask the question because i dont want the hassle of a ATF rulling down the road. But i dont like the outrageous prices they are going for new. I guess since i have to explain myself to you, is that good enough?

wow

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the detailed answer. It helped me understand more about the situation. Hope others notice and learn something from your style. So fuctionally old style is better. I just dont want to be stuck paying $400 for a updated trigger pack, if the serial police think the old one is suddenly illegal even if not modified. I guess if i was that scared of what is going to happen then i would of never bought my RLL for my ar.

Thanks man, when i do get one ill be getting with you on that lazer work you perform. Top notch!

Ruthless. I wouldn't worry about having to 'send anything in'.
Even if it was insisted that you convert the old style to the newer pack, this could be as simple as removing the one old part.- Not a terrible inconvenience.
You'd likely be forfeiting a part of the hammer group, not the whole assembly, or the whole weapon.
But really, I don't worry about it.
Having seen partially destroyed PS90 where "something went wrong" (I don't know what went wrong- it could have been a round slamming into the back of an un-extracted, live, chambered round, OR it could have been a simple out-of-battery drop of the hammer-either way it was a freak accident in that it created a chain reaction- several rounds exploding).
Anywho, having seen that, I'm glad to have the old type of trigger pack, which absolutely prevents out-of-battery release of the hammer.

·
Administrator
11,080 Posts
ruthless said:
HK SD9 Tactical said:
this is the second one. is that a TOS violation?

HK SD9 Tactical said:
Dont recall asking if one was safe or not. Did i mention modifying anything? Trigger pack sure is a touchy subject with you FN guys LOL
Makes me wonder if the 2 guys that trolled on my OP have something to hide?

I only ask the question because i dont want the hassle of a ATF rulling down the road. But i dont like the outrageous prices they are going for new. I guess since i have to explain myself to you, is that good enough?

wow
Did not mean to sound abrupt or to imply that you would do something with it. Just wanted to let you know that others have tried (not to imply you would) and FN has refused warantee service due to factory unauthorized modifications being made. As a result, they have a parts gun.

I doubt that the ATF will rule down the road that the trigger pack is a problem. I personally think that the older packs are better. I do not know the price of older trigger packs but if you do get an old pack and want a new one, I will trade with you if the ATF is your concern, however, personally I would keep the older one.

Even if the ATF rules down the road that the trigger packs for some reason violate a new rule that they just decide to make, I am sure that under the old recall from FN, you would just be able to send it to FN and get the newer one. If the ATF does come out with a new rule for this trigger pack (very unlikly) FN would be compelled to collect all the older trigger packs, much like this guy in Florida was compelled to recall a certain item because the ATF changed their minds and decided that the method that he devised to 'bump fire' a weapon (which the ATF approved earlier) now was reclassified as a prohibited item.

I have read several stories about the FS2000 firing if droped from a certain height with the newer packs. Mine is one of these and as such it sits in my safe.

I can get the firearm to fire if dropped from knee height or butted into a hard object. I think that it is because of the trigger button itself having momentum and when the firearm comes to an abrupt halt, the trigger button will continue its rearward movement (if not is the SAFE position)causing the hammer to drop. Others have said that just slaming the trigger pack into your fist will cause the hammer to drop, however I have not tried this.

People who have had run ins with the ATF come away in total fear of what can happen for the slightest reason. It is unavoidable because you are betting your life and savings if thing go in the favor of the ATF. When you are looking at a $250,000.00 fine and 10 years, you are prone to assume the worst and take your point of view from the vantage point and while trying to offer advice in what is assumed to be a friendly manner, it comes across as blunt and overbearing with the overall meaning to stay away from that as far as you can, when indeed there is no ill intent, just a search for information.

I ran into this recently with a question about having an extra barrel for my PS90 that I wanted to short barrel. It opened a whole slew of comments and inuendos about about legalities and just how powerfull the ATF can be with their attitude that you are guilty and you have to prove your innocence.

I apologize if I came across that way.

·
Registered
980 Posts
HK SD9 Tactical said:
I can get the firearm to fire if dropped from knee height or butted into a hard object. I think that it is because of the trigger button itself having momentum and when the firearm comes to an abrupt halt, the trigger button will continue its rearward movement (if not is the SAFE position)causing the hammer to drop. Others have said that just slaming the trigger pack into your fist will cause the hammer to drop, however I have not tried this.
Yeah, you don't even need the momentum of the trigger button. Just the momentum of what I call the sear carriage (a part in the pack), is enough to cause the hammer to drop, if it is hit very hard, butt first.
This is also true of the PS90 and AUG.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts