FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll finally have the opportunity to spend an entire day behind the 17 with the intent of making accurate shots on more distant targets. The class is just a local guy, no big names. He says about 150 rounds and we'll make it out to 800 yards. My ammunition of choice is Southwest Ammunition Run n Gun mod1 175SMK. My only debate right now is with or without my SDN6. I get reliable groups with it, and it is how I prefer to shoot, but that is just another variable among many. What say you? Class reports to follow...

My Setup:
-16" SCAR 17S
-51T Blackout
-AAC SDN6
-ADM Recon-S QD Mount
-Leupold Mark AR MOD 1 6-18
-Atlas BT10-LW17 Bipod
-Shooting Sight Trigger
-Ergo 2 grip
-Parker Mountain Front QD Mount
-TD SCAR Panels
-Magpul Selectors
-Magpul RVG
-BFG VCAS Sling

·
Registered
609 Posts
If suppresed is your main method of shooting use that. Train how you fight. If yoirmain method of shooting is nsuppressed do that.

I ran mine suppressed for a while but the wife shoots better with the can on her bolt gun and it has a better effect suppressing the shot on her gun than my scar so she has it now.

Long as its not degrading accuracy and that's how you shoot at distance targets do it

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
Sounds like you're going to have a blast. If you shoot mostly with your SDN than it would make sense for you to use it in the class I think. Have fun man and I'm looking forward to a follow up after the class.

·
Registered
600 Posts
That's alot of X's on your optics it'll be great on the LR shooting. Do you have another optic for the faster Cqb type shooting you can run. Sounds like fun, congrats.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Going to 800 you'll need more than 4X for a Precision Rifle class. 10X would be a minimum and your 16X is about right. My 17 with handloaded Match ammo is very solid out to 500m but starts to fall apart a bit trying to shoot small out past 700m. Focus on the basics in your class and you should do well.

·
Registered
600 Posts
The good thing about getting/being efficient at long range shooting is when you shoot at the closer ranges/distances is it just makes it that much easier to be proficient at those closer ranges.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There was plenty of Good and Bad for the day...

The Good:
-The 17S is Accurate! I had a 0.6" group at 100 when confirming zero.
-The recoil was easily managed and comfortable after 85 rounds.
-The Midway Pro Series mat was a good deal at $29.99
-I hit a 10" circle at 850yds after just 5 shots walking them in.
-The Shooting Sight trigger is great, but could be lighter.
-The Atlas bipod outshined all other bipods in compactness, versatility, and stability.

The Bad:
-Getting a good consistent cheek weld and view through the scope was terrible.
-The stock pad is a poor contour and contributes to my poor cheek weld.
-The Leupold Mark AR Mod1 is was not very impressive:
I had just 7 Mils of elevation left after zero with a 0 MOA mount
The eyebox is short
The clarity is not great, especially at extended ranges
A standard Mil-Dot leaves a lot to be desired when attempting precise holds
-The AAC SDN6 is good, not great:
After heating up, the wiggle really seemed to get worse
Sound suppression was quite less than similar cans used

What I learned: I learned that the SCAR17 will not be my go to precision rifle, but it did well. With a better stock pad, lighter trigger, and better optics, I would have been more consistent past 500. I learned that a rear stock bag is the single greatest part of a steady position. I don't have as good of an eye for mounting optics as I thought: at 7 Mils elevation from zero, my group shifted right 0.4 Mils. I definitely need practice with reading wind and ranging using the scope.

I will now need another job to finance a precision rifle in .260 Remington from Short Action Customs, a Thunder Beast Surpressor and a high end optic.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experiences with us.
Im thinking very seriously of taking my 17s thru one of Critical Responses sniper courses
Just installed a Geislle last night and am blown away by how good ([email protected]€KING AMAZING!) It is.
Would love to see more pics of the class if you have any.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unfortunately I was too busy spotting or making calculations to take many pictures. The targets are straight down the field with the rear most at the treeline. We started the day with a 100yd zero confirmation, tracking test and equipment discussion. We then moved to the field to talk positioning and ranging. The targets were 6", 8" & 10" steel swingers at 100, 200 & 300. We worked our way back from there, calculating our dope, and making shots at all three targets. After confirming our dope, we did some velocity calcs for the guys shooting handloads. Oddly enough, all were shooting 308 in 168 or 175 varieties, so calculations were all very similar. All in all, a great day.

·
Registered
119 Posts
There was plenty of Good and Bad for the day...

The Good:
-The 17S is Accurate! I had a 0.6" group at 100 when confirming zero.
-The recoil was easily managed and comfortable after 85 rounds.
-The Midway Pro Series mat was a good deal at $29.99
-I hit a 10" circle at 850yds after just 5 shots walking them in.
-The Shooting Sight trigger is great, but could be lighter.
-The Atlas bipod outshined all other bipods in compactness, versatility, and stability.

The Bad:
-Getting a good consistent cheek weld and view through the scope was terrible.
-The stock pad is a poor contour and contributes to my poor cheek weld.
-The Leupold Mark AR Mod1 is was not very impressive:
I had just 7 Mils of elevation left after zero with a 0 MOA mount
The eyebox is short
The clarity is not great, especially at extended ranges
A standard Mil-Dot leaves a lot to be desired when attempting precise holds
-The AAC SDN6 is good, not great:
After heating up, the wiggle really seemed to get worse
Sound suppression was quite less than similar cans used

What I learned: I learned that the SCAR17 will not be my go to precision rifle, but it did well. With a better stock pad, lighter trigger, and better optics, I would have been more consistent past 500. I learned that a rear stock bag is the single greatest part of a steady position. I don't have as good of an eye for mounting optics as I thought: at 7 Mils elevation from zero, my group shifted right 0.4 Mils. I definitely need practice with reading wind and ranging using the scope.

I will now need another job to finance a precision rifle in .260 Remington from Short Action Customs, a Thunder Beast Surpressor and a high end optic.
Mark at S.A.C. builds a nice rifle, and ThunderBeast makes great suppressors. I'll save you some future money and tell you that trimming and weight sorting Remington .260 cases are plenty accurate, rather than buying Lapua - which is very good brass.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I noticed there was no berm to backstop your targets out at 800. And there is a house in the distance behind it. If you ever shot tracers (especially out of an M-60) you would see just how far flat ground ricochets can go. Is this a regular rifle range or just a field? I cringed when I saw that picture....

Glad you had fun and learned some new stuff. If you really want accuracy get a 6mm BR bolt gun. It currently has the world record (and shot at my home range) for smallest group at 1000 yards. I think it was 1.6 inches. At 1000 yards. Yeah wow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
At about what range did you think that the MarkAR scope lose efficacy?
Do you think that your cheek weld issue would have been a lot less of an issue with a higher quality scope?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Should have bought an M1A! :wink:

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
Should have bought an M1A! :wink:

Thanks for sharing!
Boooooooo! :-D!

Don't you know where you are? Take that blasphemy somewhere else :biggrin:

:-x

p.s. yes I caught the sarcasm.

Reactions: Spilz

·
Registered
465 Posts
I agree about the stock pad contour. The way I shoulder my stock on my ar is completely different. On my ar its almost on my chest a little bit, the scar has to be right in the shoulder/ armpit pocket. One with less curve is more desirable imo.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts