FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want some thoughts on this.

Assume you have a scar 17s and a Remington 700 in 308.

Lets just assume a SHTF scenario and you had only 1 long range scope. When would you choose to use the Scar vs the Remington 700?

When would the extra accuracy and longer effective range of a bolt action precision rifle be worth using?

I am just trying to see how each weapon would be useful in a SHTF scenario, or possibly it would be always worth just to use the Scar.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
Personal preference. Depending then area you live and what not too. Personal personally I would not hesitate to grab the Scar17 over the 700. Effective range 800 yards and lower recoil. I can't think of a time that I would need more than that. A stupid accurate semi auto is hard to beat. That's only my opinion.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Here's how I'd look at it. All things being more or less the same..

Weight & Mobility - Practically speaking, I'd call it a draw.

Firepower on just one magazine < SCAR

Modularity and ease of reconfiguration < SCAR

Spare / Replacement parts availability < Remington

As for long range accuracy? If I'm being forced to defend myself and a threat is 400+ yards away, the last thing I'm going to be doing is shooting at it. I don't dream about SHTF much, but I think it's a reasonable assumption that in such a scenario I would probably be

1. Frequently on the move or have a need to be very mobile
2. In short supply of anything essential
3. Scared absolutely sh*tless

I'll stick with the platform that I'm most familiar with - the one I have to think the least about operating - and use it until I no longer can. In my case, that would be the SCAR.

·
Registered
157 Posts
When I go to a friend's place to shoot (300-600 or so yards) I always take the SCAR 17 in addition to "precision rifles". Based on having shot them side by side several times in gield conditions, I would have no problem picking the SCAR for this scenario.

It's definitely easier with a precision rifle, but the SCAR can get it done and keep up. You can't quite say the same for a big bolt gun in a lot of other scenarios.

Once the distance gets long enough for any mechanical accuracy/precision differences to be a practical factor, wind is the big problem. Any difference in the rifles at that point is minor in comparison.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Echoing Brady -- no question I grab the SCAR. If you're shooting at something outside 200-300 yards you're doing it wrong :)

If its just me, I'm actually grabbing my SCAR 16 and not my 17.
More ammo > penetration and range in this case IMO.

·
Vendor
1,776 Posts
Those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it.

Custer's troops were armed with Springfield trapdoors, which were lethal and accurate out to 600 yards. The Indians had Henry rifles who's lethality was only about 150 yards.

However the Trapdoor rifles only had a cyclic firing rate of about 3 per minute, because they were single shot, and you had to load by hand. The Henry rifle has a cyclic rate of about 8-10 per minute.

So the Indians were getting wiped out when they were back at 600, because they were taking hits and could not return fire. However once they pressed, and took the losses to get within 150 yards, suddenly the advantage was reversed, so they had 3x the rate of fire. The rest, as they say, is history.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Depends on what kind of shtf and where you are in the world.

Katrina/sandy type shtf defend in place scar17 probablity is something to consider

Rodney king riots defend in place scar17 probability is realistic

Zombie/chinese/russian/un invasion highly unrealistic toss up between scar17 and bravo company lightweight carbine.

I cant think of a single situation in which any bolt gun offers anything over a scar17.

If my scar breaks and i cant get parts ive probably already sent enough rounds downrange battlefield pickups will provide whatever replacement i need.

I keep a few small parts on hand like retaining clips piston rings stuff like that. I do that mainly because of convienence at the range not some mythical red dawn type thing.

·
Registered
609 Posts
One other thing. I hunt down near the texas mexico border. As the drug trade and illegal alien issue has gotten worse i found myself taking my deer rifle AND an ar15 for defense against two legged critters. This was getting ridiculous.

I looked around at what was out there that could fill a deer/yote/hog role and fill the self defense role.

Top contenders at the time was larue 308, rra ar10, fnfal, hk93. I stumbled across a scar17 at midwest industries new store close to where i live and the owner after telling him what i was looking to do pulled a scar17 off the wall and said try this...

I bought it on the spot. Come december will be three years with the scar17 and i do not regret getting one. Simply the best there is no doubt.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've shot my SCAR 17 in a couple of precision rifle matches out to 500 yards. While the scope quality and magification on my SCAR is below what I have on my .308 Savage bolt gun, the two are pretty much neck and neck as far as accuracy is concerned. With my knowledge of the SCAR's capabilities, I'd choose the SCAR. In the case of the Little Big Horn incident, I'd quickly ditch the optic and flip up the irons. Best of both worlds. Something that would be tough to do with a scoped bolt gun.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you have the means $, being able to wield the SCAR17 with a 20 round magazine and a good quality scope would be the way to go. Why? My opinion only but, the ability for faster follow up shots and shear versatility in ranges and settings one could employ this weapon compared to a mostly stationary roost utilized with the bolt action 700 gives advantage to the SCAR. Even without a scope you have solid iron sights that can do the job with the SCAR 17.

·
Registered
398 Posts
SCAR all the way. Deer hunt for food? Check. Defend the holdout? Check. Everything in between? Check. Done reliably? Check. Having said that, I'd like both! :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Echoing Brady -- no question I grab the SCAR. If you're shooting at something outside 200-300 yards you're doing it wrong :)

If its just me, I'm actually grabbing my SCAR 16 and not my 17.
More ammo > penetration and range in this case IMO.
same here, if I could only grab one I'd grab the 16. Honestly though, I'd grab the 17 too, couldn't leave my baby behind.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you were in a SHTF scenario you wouldn't want to be wasting time racking that bolt back and forth on the Remington when you're scared Sh*#less! SCAR all the way, just pull the trigger and drop the first twenty coming at you!!!

·
Vendor
1,776 Posts
Actually, in thinking about it, I think you are asking the wrong question.

What you asked suggests you have the option, and there is no cost implication. Easy answer: in combat the SCAR is a better option.

However, if you are prepping for SHTF, you have a limited amount of income to prep with, so every choice has a financial impact. Without knowing what the actual scenario will be, you have to chose between dropping $700 on a Rem 700, or $3,000 on a SCAR 17. The Rem 700 would leave $2,300 left over to buy a bigger generator, or more gas, or water or food, or dig your shelter 12" deeper .....

If your imagined scenario involves combat, the SCAR would likely be a better choice. But if your scenario involves Katrina, you rarely need to fire more than 1 shot, the $2,300 you saved could be buying more important stuff. If the rifle is defensive, or a combat rifle, or just for hunting makes a difference in the capabilities you need.

As I'm typing, I'm imagining all the prepper scenarios that have actually come about that I can think of, and I'm actually tending towards a value firearm, and saving the money, versus getting a top of the line combat rifle that will likely exceed it's need.

My personal SHTF rifle is my bone stock unmodified CMP M1. The rifle is a beast, and will take any abuse I can dish out. $650.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have both rifles and after getting my first long range scope, I am wondering what is the point of the Remington 700 in SHTF.

I don't know how practical shooting out past 500 yards would be with either rifle in a combat situation.

c6857831-92d9-47e1-a167-2dcde42ee34e_zpse5f634ae.jpg

20140420_134226_zps8db7aced.jpg

·
Registered
247 Posts
I had a similar question in mind, however, I was considering either getting the Scar 17 or Sig 716 since MK 20 is not out. I already have Scar 16.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts