FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In an attempt to glean as much information as possible for my upcoming 16 purchase I want to focus on bullet weights for my 16's configuration and PoU. The barrel will end up 14?" but 16.1" OAL with brake/adapter and will sport a suppressor (Surefire SOCOM556-SB) as soon as I complete the Trust, submit paperwork and endure stamp wait times. The PoU will be primary SHTF, range fun and pistol/carbine competition. The research conducted to date shows the 77gr Mk262 or 62gr Mk318 Mod 0 to be top performers from a short barrel, I would also prefer to stock one cartridge in 5.56 it just makes life a little easier. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Mk 262 Mod 1 was the preferred round out of a 14.5" barrel or less while I was in. This was due to the open tip of the 77 gr SMK w/cannelure and it's reliable fragmentation at velocities less than 2700 FPS (2700 FPS being the speed at which the 62 gr FMJ would reliably yaw and break up due to bullet upset.) Worked great against unarmored flesh, but the tradeoff was in barrier blind capability.

While 77gr SMK was the projectile of choice for Mk 262 Mod 1, any cartridge capped with a 75-77gr OTM bullet will perform similarly.

On the other hand, Mk 318 is designed to be a barrier blind type round. Superficially it's very similar to the Federal Trophy Bonded Bearclaw.

Reactions: SeaMac

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
In other words if I chose Black Hills 5.56 NATO 77gr SMK HP as primary ammo it would be good choice overall, correct? I have had great success with Black Hills in the past.

Mk 262 Mod 1 was the preferred round out of a 14.5" barrel or less while I was in. This was due to the open tip of the 77 gr SMK w/cannelure and it's reliable fragmentation at velocities less than 2700 FPS (2700 FPS being the speed at which the 62 gr FMJ would reliably yaw and break up due to bullet upset.) Worked great against unarmored flesh, but the tradeoff was in barrier blind capability.

While 77gr SMK was the projectile of choice for Mk 262 Mod 1, any cartridge capped with a 75-77gr OTM bullet will perform similarly.

On the other hand, Mk 318 is designed to be a barrier blind type round. Superficially it's very similar to the Federal Trophy Bonded Bearclaw.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I like Mk262 mod 1 quite a bit and BH's 77gr SMK offering IS the exact same cartridge and it's a great loading for both competition and self defense. Is that the only loading I keep on hand? No. 5.56 w/77gr SMK can get pretty spendy, if you don't "roll your own." So I load 55 and 62 gr FMJ for practice/training and load 69-77 BTHP for serious stuff like competition and late night social situations.

Reactions: SeaMac

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking 77gr SMK for "real world" occurrences and agree using 55gr or 62gr for practice, it's much cheaper even factory rolled. Thanks I appreciate the info!

I like Mk262 mod 1 quite a bit and BH's 77gr SMK offering IS the exact same cartridge and it's a great loading for both competition and self defense. Is that the only loading I keep on hand? No. 5.56 w/77gr SMK can get pretty spendy, if you don't "roll your own." So I load 55 and 62 gr FMJ for practice/training and load 69-77 BTHP for serious stuff like competition and late night social situations.

Reactions: LebbenB

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
SeaMac,

I have been stock piling ammo for my SCAR 16 and FS2K using this exact same logic. I have been stock piling the Black Hills 77grain SMK round for personal defense and more accurate paper punching and have had luck purchasing the IMI 62grain round for blasting away. Just thought I would share a similar thought.

I was thinking 77gr SMK for "real world" occurrences and agree using 55gr or 62gr for practice, it's much cheaper even factory rolled. Thanks I appreciate the info!

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aha, similar minds thinking similarly, I know in the past Black Hills served me very well, reliable, clean burning and extremely accurate but yeah, a little pricey. You know it's funny you mention the FS2K, damn viral affliction/addiction we suffer collectively has me eyeing an FS2k.

SeaMac,

I have been stock piling ammo for my SCAR 16 and FS2K using this exact same logic. I have been stock piling the Black Hills 77grain SMK round for personal defense and more accurate paper punching and have had luck purchasing the IMI 62grain round for blasting away. Just thought I would share a similar thought.

·
Registered
139 Posts
So how does M855 55 grain ammo do in a 14 inch barrel? I know we used 55 grain 855 in our 14.5 M4's in Iraq and Afghanistan with decent luck.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wasn't aware SS109/M855 came in a 55gr variety, only ever knew it to be 62gr even the new M855A1 is 62gr.

So how does M855 55 grain ammo do in a 14 inch barrel? I know we used 55 grain 855 in our 14.5 M4's in Iraq and Afghanistan with decent luck.

·
Registered
604 Posts
M855/856 is 62 and 64 grains respectively. M193/196 is 55gr. Both work reliably out of a 14.5" barrel. The issue that M855/856 runs into is that it doesn't fragment very well at range due to the loss of velocity and it's construction, the steel core retards fragmentation at slower speeds.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very good information contained within, thank you!

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo
this is a good reference point for all types of calibers. It will cover 5.56 and may help you narrow down your decision. A lot of agencies are starting to lean toward bonded bullets for the 5.56 platform (mine department included).

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I have MK318 as my round of choice, works great in the 16 just wish I'd bought more of it.

For range work cheaper 55 / 62 gr loads are fine, just shoot to your POA for your SD load and realize you'll be a little off an accept it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts