FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little experience with Primary arms, as I have a 4X prism with acss reticle on an AR I use for hunting small game. I really like the quality and performance it has given me. As a new SCAR 17 owner I am now in the market for optics. PA has a new 5X ACSS with 308 bdc due to be released at the end of the month that I will be trying 1st on my SCAR. but they also have a 4-14X44 FFP id be interested in trying. Does anyone else have any experience with PA? if so share what you think of them. thanks, Ramie

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have the 4-14x44 FFP Mil-dot scope not the one with the ACSS reticle. I've used it on both my 16 and 17. The scope is clear and I have not had any issues with it. It's a great scope for the price and you get alot of value from it. I didn't get the 4-14x44 ACSS FFP because the BDC doesn't line up with a 16" barrel. I believe it is based on a 175gr SMK out of a 22" barrel so just be aware of that if you decide to get the ACSS model.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a couple of the T1 like reddots. They worked out great on my HK UMP and AR SBR, so I decided to try out the Primary Arms 4-14X44 FFP. This past weekend I took it to the range mounted on my Scar 17 with their basic scope mount. The first few rounds I got on paper about 4" left of the bulls eye. I tried tracking it in to the center, but after every shot the basic mount from PA came loose at the picatinny mounting nut. Before heading to the range, I was told by PA that locktite was needed before shooting with the mount, as the picatinny nut may come loose. I didn't do this and sure enough, the .308's impulse walked the nut loose. I didn't get to give the PA 4-14 a fair chance yet, because of this problem, but I was able to use it for a short while. The scope is very clear, and the turrets have a good positive click when adjusting it. On youtube Tim from Military Arms Channel gave it a good thumbs up. You can see his video $1000 for a 1000 Yards. I think this scope is a great bargain so far.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Here's a photo of it mounted with the PA basic mount. I just ordered the ADM Delta. Hopefully it will fix my loosening mount on the Scar 17.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the heads up on the reticle tasty_chicken. Thanks for your input Houston, and yes I have watched that video on MAC which is what got me to give it another look, because that guy is really particular about his gear. Hope to hear some more input when you get the mounting issue fixed.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I've tried 3 of there products, an aimpoint pro clone, mico-clone and the 1-6 ACSS scope. The aimpoint pro clone just quit beyond my warranty. For 69$ it was a bargain, and worked well although the dot was oblong to me and it had to be centered for accurate shots, parralax was evident. It just quit working after about 13 months on my mp15-22. The micro clone had a similar parralax issue and in bright daylight I could see a reflection of my face with both eyes open , which was annoying. It's still going on my son's 10-22 but I wouldn't recommend it, the only reason I didn't return it was he didn't notice it since he shoots with his left eye closed. The ACSS scope hasn't quit yet, after a year. I now use it on my mp15-22. I like the reticle, but the illumination is weak in daytime. I have serious doubts that there products will last long term on a SCAR 17, but you can't beat the price. Just look at it as a temporary investment, while you save the coin for something better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah unless the 5x just blows my expectations away it will be on there for temporary status. I plan on trying several optics on it over an extended period of time. I would really love an Elcan 1.5-6 but I haven't found a money tree growing in my back yard yet.

·
Registered
974 Posts
This M.A.C. vid talks about the P.A. 4-14 FFP scope around 12:30 into the vid. Basically what he says is the main thing you are giving up for the very affordable price over a more expensive more military grade scope is ruggedness...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts