FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this is for those whom reload their 5.7 ammo. I have loaded a few 100 rounds so far and have had no problems using the published data found, but I was wondering about primers. So far the data only states the use of Win. small rifle primers or small pistol primers (note small pistol primers will cause slightly lower performance) but have any of you expermenters tried small mag. pistol or small mag. rifle primers? And what were your finding? Any gains or no differance? Or are they are to hot to use? How about just differant brands like Federal, CCI or Remington primers? Please share your experances, thanks. LM

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I have not tried reloadind this yet-This winter- but do to the small capacity of the case I would say that magnum primers would be a NO NO and would drive the pressure up, Also the PS90 is blow back action and could not see good thing coming of this.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Primer selections

Lightingman, you can use the small rifle primers of any manuf. Each may give a bit different vel and ES or print on paper in assorted POI. If you dont have a chronograph, then your grouping is about all the info you'll get as far as performance. Reading the case, primer condition and case shoulder movement, is a good indicator of pressure conditions. This is where the rifle and pistol primers will give some widely disparate readings. The pistol primers are shorter, hence will seat deeper in the rifle case pocket, and will give an inaccurate reading of pressure, a couple thousandths set back on firing WILL alter the reading. I wouldnt say they are unsafe, but this is a rifle case at rifle pressures and a SR is different construction from the SP. Its not been a problem in pistol usage as far as misfires.

Its been my observation that the tougher the primer in the rifle, the longer my cases last. I've even used the REM 7 1/2 with no problems in the PS90, and thats a tough sob as far as primers go. Seeing as how the weakest part of the 5.7 case is the primer pocket, it makes sense to me to try to reinforce the strength of that area any way I can, and the thicker primer construction and proper fit is the only way I can see to do it.

The Mag primers are not really needed, the std rifle are hot enough, and are probably hotter in this application than the mag pistol. I got the best vel MAD with the win srp in my chosen loadings, but that may not be the case with your load. My primary load development is for rifle, and what litttle pistol has been more conservative.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts