FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m in the market for the 16s, and as a Massachusetts resident they can be hard to come by.

I found a private seller offering a FDE SCAR 16s with an EOTech 512 + magnifier, bolt assist, altered charging handle, single point sling, MA pre ban magazine, and a custom painted pelican case that reads “Scarlett.”

Those aside, an issue I have is the custom paint work he had done on the rifle. On the stock, there are stapled up wounds, one on each side, with the name Scarlett in red on the lower receiver near the mag well. To me, that reduces the value of the gun and limits potential buyers in the future. Not to mention, the stock is pinned (stupid MA law) to a length that is too long for me, so I may have to pay to get the stock altered or replaced.

He is asking $3000 for everything minus the optics, $3650 with the optics. Given that the gun has a few hundred rounds through it, the pinned stock, the paint work, and the fact he has been trying to sell it for five months with no luck, I was wondering what to shoot him an offer for.

I was thinking between $2500-3000 for the whole setup. Plus, I would be driving nearly 3 hours to get it.

Need some opinions, thanks!

·
Administrator
11,675 Posts
If you think $2500 is a fair price for it, make the offer. If he says no then you can offer a little more if you want. Its going to be your rifle if you buy it so don't pay more for it than you think its worth, or you will eventually regret it. New SCAR 16s sold for $2200 or so you need to decide what it is worth to you with the add ons.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you think $2500 is a fair price for it, make the offer. If he says no then you can offer a little more if you want. Its going to be your rifle if you buy it so don't pay more for it than you think its worth, or you will eventually regret it. New SCAR 16s sold for $2200 or so you need to decide what it is worth to you with the add ons.
I’ve better chances of winning the lottery than finding a new SCAR 16s in Massachusetts for $2200. All prices I’ve seen up here are $2900+!
But I will keep in mind how much I feel it’s worth. This deal is pretty good all things considered.

·
Administrator
11,675 Posts
I’ve better chances of winning the lottery than finding a new SCAR 16s in Massachusetts for $2200. All prices I’ve seen up here are $2900+!
But I will keep in mind how much I feel it’s worth. This deal is pretty good all things considered.
If that is the way you feel, then go for it. I have no idea what Mass requires for rifle sales considering it is an "assault rifle". Of course, anything in Mass that is not a muzzle loader or a musket is considered an "assault riffle"

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If that is the way you feel, then go for it. I have no idea what Mass requires for rifle sales considering it is an "assault rifle". Of course, anything in Mass that is not a muzzle loader or a musket is considered an "assault riffle"
What I know is that a rifle does not classify as an "assault rifle" so long as a few parameters have been met. Those are: the stock cannot telescope (this is achieved by pinning the desired length in place), magazines cannot exceed 10 rounds unless the magazines were manufactured before 1994 or are undated, and must be semi-automatic. It is acceptable, and thankfully not as bad as CA.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I do not like "customized" guns and generally see these modifications as a negative on the impact of value. Those "changes" were made for a previous owners personal preference, and if not in line with something I was thinking of doing, or would do, lessens the value to me. This is particularly true with finish and "paint" that is not normal or standard. I do not know the value of guns or availability of them in your state but would think you are correct in the price should be lower than he is asking. My two cents

·
Registered
304 Posts
Any chance you can post some photos of the rifle?

·
Registered
263 Posts
This is America. If you want it and can buy it at a price you feel appropriate, do so. ‘Value’ is highly subjective. But personally, I wouldn’t do it. However, I can easily see why someone would. IMO, unless you have to get the 16, I’d get the 17 in a minute and never look back. Scar16 has little or no advantage over other options while the Scar17 is wildly better than most....in my opinion.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Seems like the paint can be removed fairly easily

·
Registered
701 Posts
Modified lowers marketability

You said new ones go as low as 2900? If you cant get it for 2500 or less I would buy new.

Reactions: OfficerSmith

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Seems like a high risk investment to me. What is "legal" in Mass. today might easily be changed to illegal the next at the whim of the governor or legislature with no grandfathering in. If you want to roll the dice and buy it, a replacement lower is not too hard to come by. I have seen several here selling theirs after replacing them with aftermarket ones that can use SR-25 mags. Seems like they sell for around $75. Occasionally an OEM stock comes up for sale as well. Buy the gun if you get the deal you want then put a want to buy ad on the forum for a fde lower and stock. Maybe by the time you get an offer you will have gotten used to the customizations and can live with them.

·
Administrator
11,675 Posts
What I know is that a rifle does not classify as an "assault rifle" so long as a few parameters have been met. Those are: the stock cannot telescope (this is achieved by pinning the desired length in place), magazines cannot exceed 10 rounds unless the magazines were manufactured before 1994 or are undated, and must be semi-automatic. It is acceptable, and thankfully not as bad as CA.
I was being a little bit facetious on this. Mass has a history of classifying firearms as assault weapons based on whims. I know it is a bit more complicated than that but what I have seen in the past 10 years in Mass has me concerned that it will soon be the east coast Kommiefornia as far as firearms, more importantly where semi automatic rifles are concerned.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Depending on condition/age/generation of the optics, I'd guess the Eotech 512 is worth like $250-350? Magnifier maybe a bit more. I highly doubt that a 512 and Magnifier (especially used) is worth $1K...not to me anyway. As I said before, if you really want it just get it. Why sweat over a couple hundred bucks if it's what you really want and maybe even hard to find. That paint will come off or spend the money on a cool cerakote finish; hell, I'd probably just rattle-can that thing! But I'm a Neanderthal so there's that I suppose.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I would not think that the eotech set up would be your optic of choice for this rifle. If it is, then consider the value of a used setup. If not, would negotiate the price without and go shop elsewhere for exactly what you want and possibly by an optic in a different transaction

·
Registered
701 Posts
Used optics don't hold that much value in my opinion as well.

Reactions: OfficerSmith

·
Registered
85 Posts
The SCAR 16S Belgium made rifles are no longer produced, the FDE rifles are scarce and drive high demand/prices, and used rifles are now moving at $3k+ on gunbroker. I think you can get into the rifle for a good value at the negotiated price.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Sure can.
Oh Jesus...!!! He sure did F that up !!! Maybe there is a way to sand the magwell area lightly then have a Cerakoter mask it off and cover with a coat of ..... Urban insanity camoflage ??

This thread had some very good feedback from HK, cdiamond and clubmanager .
It will be interesting to see where you ended up as I read on to the threads end.
For what it's worth... Right before the last weapon buying frenzy ( aka Sandy Hook ) Scar 16's NIB were easily had for $2400 or maybe lower ( less easily ). I will admit to getting sucked in during the frenzy on a couple instances ( which I regret today ) .... however.... FTR.... I purchased a 16 in the frenzy @ 3000 with some goodies, I just could not stand the thought of not having a 16 to match my 17.... (or at least that's my story).... I had coveted that lesser of 2 "evil's" for several months and then selling it back to " The Frenzy " .... because I had foreseen the end ! I sold it for exactly what it cost me and in the end only lost the cost of shipping.

Moral of the story is to consider carefully since values are extremely subjective.
Weapon does look in good condition.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh Jesus...!!! He sure did F that up !!! Maybe there is a way to sand the magwell area lightly then have a Cerakoter mask it off and cover with a coat of ..... Urban insanity camoflage ??

This thread had some very good feedback from HK, cdiamond and clubmanager .
It will be interesting to see where you ended up as I read on to the threads end.
For what it's worth... Right before the last weapon buying frenzy ( aka Sandy Hook ) Scar 16's NIB were easily had for $2400 or maybe lower ( less easily ). I will admit to getting sucked in during the frenzy on a couple instances ( which I regret today ) .... however.... FTR.... I purchased a 16 in the frenzy @ 3000 with some goodies, I just could not stand the thought of not having a 16 to match my 17.... (or at least that's my story).... I had coveted that lesser of 2 "evil's" for several months and then selling it back to " The Frenzy " .... because I had foreseen the end ! I sold it for exactly what it cost me and in the end only lost the cost of shipping.

Moral of the story is to consider carefully since values are extremely subjective.
Weapon does look in good condition.
I was thinking that sanding it down might work. I ended up offering $3000 for everything (compared to their asking $3650), noting that the paint lowers the marketability, the used optics, and the fact that I'll probably have to pay to get a new stock or have it readjusted because of MA compliance.

I'll be sure to let the thread know how it ends up! I don't think I'll ever see a ~$4500 deal like this.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts