FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my situation, I'm looking to up my ammo stash both in .308 for my fn bolt gun and 5.56 for my ar-15. With the way ammo prices are its getting harder and harder for me to buy a significant amount ammo so i can keep my training up but have enough in reserve for the possible shtf scenario.

i currently use federal 168grain gold medal match in my bolt gun and winchester 55grain fmj in my ar-15

after searching the internet, privi partisan ammo seem to be some of the most inexpensive ammo on the market. I like the fact it's brass cased ammo and boxer primed. I also like the fact that privi .308 is about 33% less than federal match and privi 5.56 is about 10 cents a round cheaper than winchester.

the two privi partisan loads i'm looking at are the 168grain BTHP Match .308 round and and 55grain FMJ XM193 5.56 round.

i don't have all the money in the world to try out every type of ammo available, so i'm wondering if this is a viable option for training and self defense. I'm not worried about not using JHP's for a rifle i just want something thats reliable, has decent accuracy, and thats good at putting holes in things.

Some questions i'm hoping to have answered are:
how is the accuracy of .308 ammo out to 400-500yards?
how is the accuracy of the 5.56 round out to 300 yards?
how is the reliability of the 5.56 in the ar platform for feeding and extraction?
How does privi partisan compare to the ammo i currently use?
Any input on privi partisan ammo in general is also welcome.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I can't comment on the .308, but the 55 gr. .223 stuff isn't bad.

I've shot steel at 300 meters, and hit it, with that load, but I can't tell you how it groups at that distance.

It's not as hot as real M193, but most quality AR's will eat it fine. It helps if you have a 5.56mm chamber vs. a .223.

For a little more, you can get Federal XM193C, which is full power 5.56mm M193..........

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've shot a lot of the Privi 7.62 ball ammo thru my FAL, no issues. Good stuff.

I've also shot one box of the Privi 7.62 match ammo, no issues. Didn't have a scope and a long range, so I'm not sure how much more accurate it is, but for iron sights it did well.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well thats the thing, i bought a bunch of winchester 55grain fmj white box back when it was 4.95 a box, so its been a few years ago, now i see it for around $9 a box. the cheapest place i can find privi partisan 55grain fmj is $7 a box. is that a big difference? no it's not but for every 3K rounds of winchester i could have 4K rounds of privi partisan.

like i said i don't have extra money to "test" two or three kinds of ammo even if its cheaper just to see if its par with what i shoot now.

i know i need to get into reloading, and i might i have the oppurtunity since my brother just gave me a nib lee deluxe reloading set that he bought a couple years ago and never opened

1 - 5 of 5 Posts