FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went in to Tripler earlier today and got the PRK laser eye surgery. It was a breeze! I was amazed at how fast and easy it was. The hardest part was concentrating on holding still. Now that the numbing drops have worn off, it kind of hurts, but it's really not bad. As far as focus goes, things are very clear, but the "band-aid" contacts I'm wearing makes things a bit hazy. You can see the entire procedure on YouTube. I'm really glad I did it so far.

Oh, and Uncle Sam is picking up the tab. Woohoo!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Good luck with your recovery. PRK takes a bit longer than other procedures to heal up, but the results are great.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Glad to hear that you are happy. :? I need to have my eyes checked to see if they have a way to help "old" eyes.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Good luck!

While I'll give the short version - essentially, I had the same pair of glasses from age 14 to my late 20s. I tried getting new glasses several times - but I always had to get a refund. I never could adjust to any other set of glasses... I'd get dizzy, headaches, and everything seemed warped at the edges of the glasses.

I always checked on the refund policy before I tried each time - because I figured it wouldn't work.

Around 1998/99 I gave it another shot. Finally got something that worked right away. I thought "great." Then, 2 months later - I started getting fatigued easily, trouble concentrating , getting "spaced out" sometimes, headaches, seeing spots, etc.

Even with insurance, all the tests costed quite a bit of money. EEG, sleep study, cat scan of the brain, etc. Nothing could be found. Also given all sorts of prescriptions that had no effect.

On one Sunday when I had a headache, took a nap, and woke up with it - I took my mom's suggestion that day to try putting on my old glasses. Symptoms went away in 1 hour!

Now, I had initially asked the neurologist ion the very beginning if he thought that it could have been the glasses - he told me no.

My old prescription was too weak, so I basically juggled back and forth between glasses as needed. Over time, the symptoms went away, but I still get a flair up on a rare occassion.

I had to get another pair in 2003, because my eye sight got worse. Same deal. I ONLY wear those at the shooting range now.

What's my point - well, it seems that my brain just won't adjust to a stronger prescription. The neurologist told he never saw anything like this before - and he suggested eye surgery to correct my eyes permanently. I decided that was a stupid decision in my case.. What if these symptoms still haunt me because of the surgery... I could never go back then....

Anyway - good luck with that - you shouldn't have near the issues I have :x

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Glad to hear that you are happy. I need to have my eyes checked to see if they have a way to help "old" eyes.
Unfortunately, refractive eye surgery won't cure old eyes. As eye muscles deteriorate with age, nothing can really be done other than prescribe glasses/bi-focals. What they can do for older eyes with refractive surgery however is give you mono-vision. This is where they dial in one eye for near sighted work and one eye for distance vision (what bi-focals are designed for). Apparently the brain can adjust between the 2 different eye prescriptions and allow you to go glasses free. Seems a bit risky to me.

I had lasik a few years back and the doc mentioned that as I got older I would eventually have to use reading glasses as natural eye muscle deterioration occurs (as with anyone). Luckily I have a decade or 2 of good vision to look forward to before I need em'.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well things are still good, but I can't look at the computer screen for more than 15 seconds or so. Things are still hazy but clear.

My mind keeps wanting to see the frames of my glasses in my perhiperal vision. I even caught myself trying to take them off when I went to bed last night, only to realize, "oh yeah, I'm not wearing them"! :x

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Isn't that a great feeling? I can't even remember what it's like to wear glasses anymore other than sunglasses. It will make life much more pleasant dealing with the day to day army life too. No more gas mask inserts, no more prescription ballistic eye protection.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, day three, and the eyeballs are doing GREAT. Only teeny tiny little discomforts here and there. Only thing is now, my right eye is a lot blurrier than the left, and I hope that clears up soon. I go back to Tripler to get the "band-aid" contacts removed, and get checked out. I hope that clears it up.

Gotta run! Parties to go to! :shock:

·
Banned
112 Posts
I watched a video on 'How its Made' and they did the laser eye surgery. The 'ick' factor made me so happy I have 20/20 vision. My brother wants to get the laser surgery and I don't know if the PRK is the same as the Lasik or not, but just watching them slice the cornea and peel it back was enough for me. My eyeballs were killing me watching them do it to someone else!

·
Registered
43 Posts
how did you get Uncle Sugar to pay for it?

i want to get my eyes fixed before my next trip to Iraq or Afganastan.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm in the Army; they cover it for soldiers.

PRK and LASIK are extremely similar, except that in PRK there is no cutting of a flap. I didn't like the idea of cutting either.

·
Banned
112 Posts
That flap cutting was what got me. Maybe I could see having it done then.
Still, I'd want to see HOW it was done before I could go for it. I still have to mash my peepers shut when I think of that video clip!

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Erica_the_Red said:
That flap cutting was what got me. Maybe I could see having it done then.
Still, I'd want to see HOW it was done before I could go for it. I still have to mash my peepers shut when I think of that video clip!
Well, it is my understanding that if U are interested - you can meet with the doctor U choose, and be given some videos and literature explaining it more in depth...

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Either lasik or PRK are not that bad, I've assisted in both at the opthomitry clinic. Pretty symple operation really. Just don't be a Rambo and refuse the pain meds. By the way(EOM) Extra Ocular Motor Muscils have little to do with visual changes do to age. Atrophy of the macula and deteriation of the lens is what causes the problems. Some have been playing with synthetic lens replacement with veried results, but are usually only done on those with 20/400 + vision.

I talked my 68y/o father in law into Lasik and he now has 20/20 vision. Prior to that he had 20/70.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
my grandfather had his done and he was really happy with the surgery up until the time he passed....

·
Registered
630 Posts
sorry for your loss, but I was hoping it was not from the surgery

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
certainly not, it was from smoking jacking up his lung ect....he was a RET marine fighter pilot so he was tough.....the docs said he was only had a year or two left but he fought for over 12 years....

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You can look it up on YouTube and see the whole process. Just keep in mind they use numbing drops so you don't feel a thing. It looks kinda freaky, granted, but it's really very easy.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
This conversation reminds me of a simpsons episode where homer goes in to get glasses and ends up getting laser surgery instead. "Less Yappin' more Zappin'. " Homer refuses the eye drops afterwards and his entire eyes crust over. Hilarious.

The procedure really is quite easy. Easier than the dentist in my opinion.

·
Banned
112 Posts
I'm sorry guys, but there are just some things I can't take. Tooth pain is one and ANYTHING in my eyes is the other. I was the last in my class to qualify OC and even then I almost chickened out. I freak out when I get sand or even a lash in my eye.
I know, I know, I can almost hear it now, but I'm really not that big of a wimp. I've gone against felons of all shapes and sizes without hesitating. I've tackled pitbulls to take them off people they were attacking, but when it comes to my eyes, I freak out.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts