FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday I bought a new FNX-9. I took home and loaded all 3 magazines full and cleaned out the preservative and lightly oiled the barrel and action. I kept the slide locked back. I went to the gun range today and had nothing but problems.

I tried the SA and it worked the first time since I inserted a magazine and hit the slide release which pushes the slide forward and chambers a round. I fired the first round in SA mode and then tried to fire a second only to have it click and did not fire. I tried again and it fired the second time. I then tried firing the third round and it took 3 trigger pulls before the SA would fire. I dropped the hammer and DA mode that worked every time. I was using 147gr Winchester Training rounds first. I then tried some Speer Lawman 147gr rounds but I had the same effect that I had to pull the trigger 2-3 times for the SA mode to fire while DA would work each time.

Good thing I brought my 40 S&W pistol so my I had a work gun at the range. I took it home and cleaned the FNX-9 again and dry fired it by pulling the hammer back and it worked flawlessly at home. Not sure what to do now. I bought the pistol at Cabela's but I guess I will call FNHUSA send it back for service.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Could be a few things.....

The first thing to have a look at is how the ammo fits in the chamber. If the ammo is tight, the slide may not be going fully into battery (forward) and you're getting no hit... if its on the bleedin' edge of working at all. Field strip, drop ammo into chamber one at a time, they should have a bit of wiggle. Rule out the easy first, no?

Could just try different ammo too.

After that.... time to call FN. Could be some tweakage needs to be applied.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I bought the following ammo:

Winchester FMJ 147gr Training Rounds
Speer FMJ 147gr Lawman
Speer 124gr Gold Dot rounds

The range had either Federal or Fiocchi 115gr 9mm rounds. I did buy a box of Fiocchi rounds but I only tried the 147gr FMJ ones since I was reading that the 115gr ones had to be shot from a gun that was already broken in.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
115 gr should run fine if it is hotter ammo (Fiocchi generally is, Rem UMC not so much).

So, at the range, when you pulled the trigger in SA mode, the hammer didn't drop? Were your thumbs pushing up the safety at all and did the trigger feel the same even though the hammer didn't fall?

Next thing I would check is the sear/hammer engagement point. Take the slide off and while keeping a thumb in front of the hammer so it doesn't fall all the way or hit the FCG hard, see if the left side of the sear is fully releasing from the hammer notch. It should every time. If not, there might be something broken in the fire control group.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I went to range again today and I was still having issues where I had to pull the trigger multiple times even the the gun would not fire at all sometimes.

So I was tried the following:

Fired the gun left handed and it fired every time. I also tried firing it single handed with my right had and it mostly worked but not all of the time. I noticed a noise with the internal components in the action when I changed over to my left hand.

When I started firing with my left hand and moved the to my right hand it worked every time. But when I started firing with my right hand sometime it would not fire in SA mode. But when and changed to my left hand there a noise coming from the action and it fired in SA mode until the magazine was empty.

I am not sure if It is my technique or what? I not holding the safety down and I took my to fire just be sure. I own an XD40SC and I know not to ride the slide with my thumb and I have fired over 3000 rounds from that gun.

I took the slide off and put an empty mag in and pulled the hammer back and dry fired it in SA mode a few times and it worked each time. But put the slide back and tried a few rounds and it exhibited the same issue noted above.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took the FXN-9 back to Cabela's and I wrote up what is wrong do they are sending back to FNHUSA for repairs. It works fine with no ammo but putting ammo in they will hopefully get the same results that I got. I know they did a test fire as they included the spent shell with the pistol. The date of the test firing is 01/14/2014.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
It works fine with no ammo
This makes me think user error. You should have the same issue trying to dry fire it :evil:

I don't know. Hopefully it comes back and works for you.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
This makes me think user error. You should have the same issue trying to dry fire it :evil:

I don't know. Hopefully it comes back and works for you.
As I said in my other post about fire both left and right handed it did not fire with my right hand but did with my left. I tried adjusting my grip on my right hand and was not touching the safety at all and it would not fire in my right hand sometimes in SA mode. There was a noticeable noise from the action in single action mode when put the gun in my left hand from my right. Did not fire in my right hand but did my left.

So the FNX-9 is that much different. I have rented the following pistols at the range multiple times over the years:

HK USP 9, 40, and 45
Sig Sauer P226
Glock 17 and 23
Beretta 92FS
XD 9 and 40

I do own an XD40SC and have fired over 3000 rounds with that handgun. If I get gun back and it is still does not work, I plan on selling it and buying some other brand.

·
Registered
614 Posts
If they send you a NEW vs. your same gun gun, maybe try the newbie guide suggestions (sticky post). It lists things you did, but for longer. A week vs one day on the slide and mags, I think it was. Maybe that will get you off on the right foot!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I took my FNX-9 pistol back to Cabela's and they returned it for service. It took a little under a month to get it back and I just picked up yesterday afternoon and took it the range today. Single action mode works fine now. Not sure what FNHUSA did since they do not say what they fixed. I fired 150 rounds before I sent it back. Today and fired a whole bunch of different rounds:

Speer Lawman 147gr FMJ
Speer Gold Dot 124gr
Winchester 124gr +P Ranger T-Series
Cor Bon 125gr +P JHP
Remington 124gr Golden Saber
Federal 115gr FMJ Target Rounds
Fiocchi 115gr FMJ Target Rounds
Winchester 147gr FMJ Training Rounds

I like the Speer Gold Dot rounds but I was rather impressed with the Cor Bon 125gr JHP as well. The +P rounds had a bit more kick but it was easy to control.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts