FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm a new member here and already getting off to a bad start. I recently purchased a new USG from a friend. He is a big fan of the platform and the cartridge and offered to sell me a spare USG that he had kept unfired for a few years. Prior to my purchasing it he let me take it out and shoot it to see if I like it. I immediately experienced multiple failures to eject with factory loaded SS195 and SS196 ammo. Sometimes the slide would slam shut and rechamber the fired case. Other times the ejection would be feeble with the fired case barely clearing the action and the slide unable to pick up the next cartridge in the magazine. He took the pistol back and immediately returned it to FN. Five weeks later he got it back after a "minor repair." He called them and asked what the minor repair was and was told that the barrel was replaced. I figured all is good and I bought the pistol from him. But all was NOT good. I still experienced the same ejection problems. Most bizarre was a round of SS195 where the slide traveled rearward, stopped short of the case contacting the ejector, and then froze in that position with the fired case still in the breech face held by the extractor. I have never seen anything like this. What seems odd is how the slide will bind with an empty magazine and will bind enough to stay open just short of slidelock. I thought this odd but my friend's own pistol behaves just the same way and he said he never has any problems. I called FN and they asked if I could be limp wristing when I shoot. I don't see how. I have decades of experience with tens of thousands of rounds downrange. I got my "A" rating in the local steel league shooting watered down .40 and .45 ammo in stock Glock pistols, and Glocks are also notorious for limp wrist stoppages. So I don't see how it could be me. Yet I don't understand how I can be having these problems. I did a search and found that others have been experiencing the same problems but I don't know how or if they were resolved. I like my USG but I don't understand why it doesn't like me. Does anybody have any insight to what could be happening here?

·
Registered
470 Posts
I don't think the 5.7 will be affected by limp wristing although I never tried it. Just doesn't seem to have enough recoil. Have you been shooting old or newish SS195? I know the SS196 is old. There were issues with old SS195. Try something else like 197 or American eagle FMJ perhaps?

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
If it's an older USG it probably has the recoil spring for the fast stuff. Try some older SS195 or if you can find it some SS198.

Reactions: BigBuckeyeGuy

·
Registered
510 Posts
If it's an older USG it probably has the recoil spring for the fast stuff. Try some older SS195 or if you can find it some SS198.
FN won't tell you anything, because the upfront and honest guy .... they laid him off.

FsNs have very heavy springs in them. Whenever they are new, you will have to break-in your springs. I usually compress them manually over and over again.

Another reason for early-on stoppages is that the contact surfaces to the slide and on the lugs is quite coarse, in a number of FsNs I have had experience with (10+?)

such that the friction will prevent the slide from going home if you release it very gradually. This is, thankfully, overcome by the return moments at each position of the slide's return as they overcome the frictional force, with most ammunition.

I recommend that you compress and decompress your spring over and over again for a few days. You can also leave the slide locked back overnight. Shoot another hundred rounds after those 2-3 days of compressing it a few hundred times, and the issues will most likely cease.

Regards.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is meant by contact surface between slide and lugs? Do you mean slide and frame rails? The slide cycles very smoothly when there is no magazine in the gun. Insertion of an empty magazine causes some serious binding when the slide is brought back to slide lock. I can't tell what's causing the friction. And what would be the difference between the new and old ammo? When they swapped barrels I expect they did give me a new recoil spring too. That change hasn't helped either. I am amazed that they couldn't (wouldn't?) fix this the first time the gun was returned. My friend loaned me his personal USG the other night so I'll try his and see what happens. I have a feeling his will function properly, eliminating my shooting technique as a possible cause. I figure using his gun, my magazines and my problematic ammo will eliminate a lot of variables.

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
The slide cycles very smoothly when there is no magazine in the gun. Insertion of an empty magazine causes some serious binding when the slide is brought back to slide lock. I can't tell what's causing the friction.
That would probably be the magazine safety.

And what would be the difference between the new and old ammo?
A lot of the newer ammo is slower and without the proper spring for speed and or bullet weight it can cause problems.

Reactions: LESTER

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took my friend's USG to the range today. Actually, I used HIS slide and frame, MY barrel, MY magazines and MY problematic ammo. As I expected, this combination performed flawlessly with consistent ejection. So the problem is not me, my barrel, my magazines or the ammo that I have. I can either send mine back to them AGAIN or I can sell it and be rid of the problem. I'm not sure what I want to do.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Since you used his slide and frame with your barrel, assuming you didn't change the spring (I wouldn't have), it pretty much eliminates the spring. What you are describing is what I call short stroking, and usually is a spring, interference, or cleaning issue. I would take a good look at any signs of interference during the slide travel. Whats the takedown cam look like on the frame? Any other signs of unusual wear anywhere? How clean are the slide rails? Without having the pistol in my hands it is really hard to diagnose it. Otherwise is this the same friend you got it from? I would send it back to FN and have them get it right, or talk to your friend about buying it back. Where are you located? If in Virginia, I am in central Va and I have a little range behind my house, and would at least look @ the pistol, plus can shoot it here.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Interesting... I never had any problems with all 5.... I had/have owned.
If you buy a $1600 Kimber ... they are known to stove pipe & word on the street among Kimber enthusiasts is... have a 500 rd break in , just saying !
When I purchased my new FDE Mk II it has a Warning letter below. I took the liberty of crossing out the AE.... even I don't shoot that out of the FsN,s.
It would sound like the spring but from what you posted ???
I'm not a gunsmith however... I do have an idea. if it would help I could send you some " dykem " spotting paste. It is used in the injection mold repair arena to identify high areas or interference areas. I realize that FN CS is a pain and they should have already fixed the problem.
But... if I can help ? Let me know. I would seek out a professional in your area also. Doesn't sound like a problem that can't be solved.
Warning letter 001.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies and offers. I might give it one more range session and then I'll send it back to FN. That letter above is somewhat vague and ridiculous. Don't use handloaded ammo, but then our own factory loaded ammo might not work either? And why is that? From what I see here, plenty of forum members have figured out how to safely duplicate or exceed the performance of FN's own factory ammo. If my pistol somehow gets fixed or replaced and functions properly I'd handload for it too. But for now I just want to get it to function properly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I recently got the gun back from FN for the second time. Prior to returning it they did call and advise that it was "dirty and dry." This is interesting, since every other firearm I own is even more "dirty and dry" than this 5.7 pistol and they all function just fine. I was told that since this is a second return the gun has been given priority attention and has been test fired by numerous personnel at their facility. I was assured that it functions just fine and it was returned to me shortly thereafter. Well, the good news is that now my pistol DOES function flawlessly. So what does this all mean? Did I magically learn to shoot it properly since the first time it was returned? Not likely. Did all the extra lube they put on the pistol make a difference? I don't see how. I was also told that SS195 ammo is not ideal for this pistol and might not be reliable, and I should shoot their 40 gr. V-Max loads for complete reliability. Funny thing is, SS195 now functions perfectly. So just what am I supposed to believe? As I see it, they lied to me the first time they said it was fixed. Then the problem was corrected the second time but I have no idea what they did to it. It's clear to me that they do not admit any of their faults. Bottom line is I now have a pistol that mysteriously functions perfectly and I guess I should be happy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts