FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have read another thread on zero'ing the 17, but am confused a bit.

http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-scar-17s/27707-17s-iron-sight-zero-range.html

To be honest, the instructions confuse me more. lol

I am understanding from the above link the following:

Leave the rear sift on '2' and adjust only the front sight when sighting in at a 200 yard zero? So at 100 yd's it should be about 1.8" low of bullseye?

Am I correct on this?

Thanks
DTT

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
Here's the information to correctly establish BZO or Battle Sight Zero for a SCAR 17s with 16" Barrel.

1) Establish mechanical zero for both front & rear iron sights, the Owners Manual provided will show you how to do this.

2) Set rear sight to 3

3) Establish a target at 25m or 82'

4) Fire a 3-shot group with POA at Center Mass

5) Determine center of your 3-shot group

6) Adjusting front sight only correct the POI to reflect a -3.0 MOA (approx. 3/4" low) using 149gr FMJ ammo (M80) or -1.8 MOA (approx. 7/16" low) using 175gr OTM ammo (M118LR)

7) Shoot a 3-shot group at 300m to confirm

NOTE: At 25m MOA is equal to approx. 1/4"

Hope this helps!

ummmm anyone?? :smile:

·
Registered
150 Posts
The CQC variant is zeroed at 200. I'm assuming you have a 16.25" barrel. If so, rear drum centered and set to '3'. At 25m adjust your fronts to shoot -1.0 MOA low meaning 1/4" low. That will give you a 25/300 BZO. At least that's how I understand it and how I did it and my irons work great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,521 Posts
The CQC variant is zeroed at 200. I'm assuming you have a 16.25" barrel. If so, rear drum centered and set to '3'. At 25m adjust your fronts to shoot -1.0 MOA low meaning 1/4" low. That will give you a 25/300 BZO. At least that's how I understand it and how I did it and my irons work great.

when u say 1/4 low, you mean quarter inch below point it aim? What are the other numbers on the rear sight for? Anyone know if possible to out tritium in the front?

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
1.8 MOA is from using 175gr OTM in a 16" or 20" barrel and referencing the USGI SCAR Operator's Manual.

Where are you guys getting -1.8 MOA?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I understand what is written and VERY much appreciate the clarification on everything...but I have to ask. Who the hell uses their irons for 300 meters (328 yards)?!?!?! lol

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
At 25m MOA is equal to approx. 1/4", The rear sight elevation drum is numbered 2-6 for 200 to 600m, the numbers on the side wheels are windage and yes apparently the AR15/M16/M4 tritium post fits, it will be wider and thus could cover your target at distance.

when u say 1/4 low, you mean quarter inch below point it aim? What are the other numbers on the rear sight for? Anyone know if possible to out tritium in the front?

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
This is a misnomer and depends greatly on the ammo used to zero, the USGI Operators Manual only list two types for the 17s to zero, the M80 (149gr FMJ) or M118LR (175gr OTM) there is no reference to .25 MOA for either round listed.

Yeah, if you're aiming dead center your impact should be .25 MOA low. Other numbers are distances in 100's of meters. :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
This is a misnomer and depends greatly on the ammo used to zero, the USGI Operators Manual only list two types for the 17s to zero, the M80 (149gr FMJ) or m118LR (175gr OTM) there is no reference to .25 MOA for either round listed.
Crap. I meant -1.0 MOA at 25, or -.25", not .25 MOA. Sorry. I fixed my reply.

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
I don't see -1.0 MOA for any of rounds listed. For both MK16 and MK17 I have -1.8 at the lowest with -4.6 at the highest with no -1.0 anywhere in between. Bear in mind this is NOT the civilian manual but the mil and I have to defer to the mil.

I'm seeing -1.0 for all four bbl/bullet combos. Hrmmmmm.....

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hmmm, I must be looking at a bad copy. I follow the first link when I google "scar operators manual". The PDF it takes me to shows -1.0 for every combo except the CQC barrel.

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
Still not jiving with the USGI Manual, his most accurate round according to Uncle Sam for zeroing will be the M118LR (175gr OTM) which at 25m/82' will only be approx. 7/16" low or -1.8 MOA

Crap. I meant -1.0 MOA at 25, or -.25", not .25 MOA. Sorry. I fixed my reply.

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
Right now I have the BZO Target Template and Plasticized Instructions for the USGI Tool Kit. Not sure what you Googlin' but it ain't jivin' with the info I've got. However we are really only talking about fractions of an inch. For close range BUIS usage the OP should be fine, like even he said "who shoots 300m with Iron Sights?"

It's all good... :?

Hmmm, I must be looking at a bad copy. I follow the first link when I google "scar operators manual". The PDF it takes me to shows -1.0 for every combo except the CQC barrel.

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
I do hope this isn't too confusing and you're good to go!

Ok I understand what is written and VERY much appreciate the clarification on everything...but I have to ask. Who the hell uses their irons for 300 meters (328 yards)?!?!?! lol

·
Registered
150 Posts
Right now I have the BZO Target Template and Plasticized Instructions for the USGI Tool Kit. Not sure what you Googlin' but it ain't jivin' with the info I've got. However we are really only talking about fractions of an inch. For close range BUIS usage the OP should be fine, like even he said "who shoots 300m with Iron Sights?"

It's all good... :?
Oh yeah, it's all good. Your numbers are obviously correct. I just wish I could find the right numbers myself. I see -1.0 MOA on every PDF I can find and a pic of the zeroing target shows -3.5 for all barrels and all bullets. I just hate being confused. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts