FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Proud owner of my new FNX 45 Tactical. Need advice. (NEW PICS)

Hello all,

Long time reader (been doing research for my first 45) and new member of the forum. I just purchased my FDE tactical and I love it! I have only put around 150 rounds through it with 230 g. I had two failure to ejects early on in the first two clips, but it ran flawlessly after that and was an absolute joy to shoot.

Need some advice on a tactical light/laser combo for the rail. I really want a green laser but other than that I am very open to any company. I have been looking at the following:

Viridian X5L Gen2, Crimson Trace Railmaster 204, Streamlight TLR-2G, and the Eotech Green laser combo.

Any advice on ones you have tried? I know the trigger guard is larger than what I am used to, and want something that feels comfortable to use and activate the light/laser.

Thanks so much!

EDIT: Here are the pictures:

IMG_20140228_182424.jpg

asdf.jpg

·
Registered
615 Posts
Congrats on the FNX Tactical! I love my Viridians, have an X5L on my FsN. I also have a C5L on my PK380. Couldn't be happier, especially since I got the holster for the PK. I like the ECR feature. I also have a Streamlight TLR-1HL that I keep on my bedside FNS.

Did I mention I buy CR123 batteries in bulk?

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Congrats on your FNX45T and welcome to the forum. I agree with arcticzale - I have a viridian X5L and love it. However I am waiting for Surefire to release the X400UG...My X5L is green and I want all of my lasers to be consistent.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. You obviously didn't hear about the FDE's failed accuracy test of not being able to hit an orbiting meteor within 5 miles of Earth. As many now know for fact, the black FNX45T struck the meteor with a double tap, thus saving the world. But I digress...

I am looking at all the green laser/light combos and I have one major gripe. There aren't any that have the green light as close to the barrel as possible. Many are well below the barrel or off-center of the centered light.

Hence I am starting a project, codenamed Double Dip and Burn Some Money.

I am ultimately going to try and see how the TLR-1 HL (630 lumens and the strongest pistol mounted light on the market) couples with the Lasermax rail mounted green laser (found here: https://www.lasermax.com/ProductDetails/tabid/127/ProductID/497/Default.aspx). The lasermax (Uni-Max Green) is tiny and mounts directly under the rail (and center of barrel) and has a mount attached to it underneath for a light or other accessory.

Ok, truthfully, I can't burn all that money, so I'll match the TLR-1 HL with an old red rail-mounted Lasermax Uni-Max I have from another gun, and see if they mate well. It'll be interesting to see how well a rail-mounted laser with a light mounted on to the laser will hold up in a 45. My guess is the laser which is directly mounted to the frame of the gun will do fine, but we'll see. TLR-1 HL arrives tomorrow and I'll post a shot after a successful range round. Or two.
:th_sign0101:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies guys! I just ordered my light/laser combo, the Viridian 5XL Gen2. I will certainly be taking some pictures after I get that bad boy on and let you know how it feels and how well the zeroing works. And I dont care if the FDE couldnt hit a barn, it is sexy ;).

·
Registered
615 Posts
I am looking at all the green laser/light combos and I have one major gripe. There aren't any that have the green light as close to the barrel as possible. Many are well below the barrel or off-center of the centered light.
I had the same concern with the C5L when I bought it. The laser being off to the side and lower was a big concern for me initially. But as I thought about what role it'll play in protecting me and my family (that role being the actual application it would be used-close quarter), it was within an acceptable tolerance. As an 'occasional carry weapon', it is only going to be deployed in situations that don't require sub-MOA precision. I realized if I zeroed at 7 yards it'll be within an accuracy tolerance for any confrontation that it will be depended on. I would have a hard time relying on a 380ACP with a 3.66" barrel to be effective at anything outside the range of where a threat will most likely present itself. That being said, it still stays in mass at 17 yards, just not hitting exactly where the laser points on target - but close enough for me. I'd still be using my irons at any range unless I was unable to - which is where the laser comes in.

I may be old school, but I look at each weapon for it's intended purpose, or role in my arsenal, and accessorize accordingly. With that being said, the Viridian laser/light combo in the full size X5L or compact C5L are both great choices. The X5L will be great on the FNX frame, you'll really enjoy it Capt!

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. You obviously didn't hear about the FDE's failed accuracy test of not being able to hit an orbiting meteor within 5 miles of Earth. As many now know for fact, the black FNX45T struck the meteor with a double tap, thus saving the world.
You're wrong. The black 45tac actually missed, but the meteor saw the FDE 45tac and was like "fvck this sh:t im out"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had the same concern with the C5L when I bought it. The laser being off to the side and lower was a big concern for me initially. But as I thought about what role it'll play in protecting me and my family (that role being the actual application it would be used-close quarter), it was within an acceptable tolerance. As an 'occasional carry weapon', it is only going to be deployed in situations that don't require sub-MOA precision. I realized if I zeroed at 7 yards it'll be within an accuracy tolerance for any confrontation that it will be depended on. I would have a hard time relying on a 380ACP with a 3.66" barrel to be effective at anything outside the range of where a threat will most likely present itself. That being said, it still stays in mass at 17 yards, just not hitting exactly where the laser points on target - but close enough for me. I'd still be using my irons at any range unless I was unable to - which is where the laser comes in.

I may be old school, but I look at each weapon for it's intended purpose, or role in my arsenal, and accessorize accordingly. With that being said, the Viridian laser/light combo in the full size X5L or compact C5L are both great choices. The X5L will be great on the FNX frame, you'll really enjoy it Capt!
I completely agree. At first I was going to hold out on a guide Rod style green laser, but then I realized that for precision shooting I will be using the sights and taking my time etc. But in a situation where i need it for defense, it will be up to 15 yards at most, and the X5L will work perfectly when zeroing it in to 8-10 yards. I cant wait to see how it looks on it, b/c as you know it must look awesome in addition to being useful!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My Viridian X5L is coming in the mail today along with my frog lube order. I will be taking some pictures of the new gun with the light on this weekend along with a quick first impression of the shooting with it.

I put about 300 rounds of reloaded ammo through it this week. Had some FTE on the lighter loads, but even those were not so bad. My target loads and hollow points reloads worked without a hitch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just an update. The viridian X5L looks great and works even better! I zero'd it in to 7 yards, and put approx 150 rounds through it at various ranges and speeds between shots. The laser has a low profile for a combo laser/light... pretty much in line with the frame. (see pictures in first post) Also, as a side note it blasted through combination of reloaded fmj, jhp, new jhp and fmj without a hitch.

Just purchased a paddle holster to fit the viridian laser with the ECR feature. I will update with pictures when i get it in.

Thanks for all the help so far, and please shoot me any questions.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Just an update. The viridian X5L looks great and works even better! I zero'd it in to 7 yards, and put approx 150 rounds through it at various ranges and speeds between shots. The laser has a low profile for a combo laser/light... pretty much in line with the frame. (see pictures in first post) Also, as a side note it blasted through combination of reloaded fmj, jhp, new jhp and fmj without a hitch.

Just purchased a paddle holster to fit the viridian laser with the ECR feature. I will update with pictures when i get it in.

Thanks for all the help so far, and please shoot me any questions.
Looks great! It's been a while since I shopped them and hadn't seen the FDE - I like it! :welldoneif4:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts