FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

With this being my first post I wanted to share my latest PS-90 project with the community. A custom case which can accommodate two hundred rounds in four magazines, the PS-90 carbine with its scope, brass catcher and desiccant packet, all in one laptop case. This project took me a few months to put together mainly because the lack time I could to dedicate to it, work and home life just keeps me too busy.

For the first phase I used CAD software, Pro-E WF4, which enabled me to design and plan the proper spacing for all the components to be stored in the case. Second phase, the CAD file was taken to the local “machine shop” and the polyurethane foam and aluminum sheets were cut using a CNC water jet cutter; the foam took about a day to dry out. Last phase was assembly, few screws, some cutting and trimming, fit checks and it was good to go.

The case used for this project was the Pelican 1495 Laptop Case, it sparked my attention when I saw a picture on the net being used in the desert by the military to carry their laptops. Well, my thought was, if it’s good for them, it’s got to be good for me. Took note of the internal dimensions and started on the design.

It’s interesting the reaction I get from people at the range when their expectations are to see a pistol coming out of the case and instead it is a sixteen inch barrel carbine. So far, I’ve gotten positive feedback, I’ve had people approach me to see when can I start on their custom case. It feels great to show up at the range and just carry one case with everything I need.

Well, hope you guys enjoy the pictures as much I did. Many thanks and kudos to “Michael Kloth Photography” he did an outstanding job taking all the pictures.

Enjoy,
Skinner_03

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
I am VERY IMPRESSED with your PS-90 case. I would like to know what kind of scope is that? It looks like a beautiful set-up!

RAT in Houston, Texas

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Welcome! Even though you joined before me.
Very nice setup. Looks way better than my Pelican case cut jobs

·
Premium Member
9,516 Posts
Case looks great...very well done. I feel bad lugging mine around in a duffel bag.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am VERY IMPRESSED with your PS-90 case. I would like to know what kind of scope is that? It looks like a beautiful set-up!

RAT in Houston, Texas
Hey wharfrat1940,

Thanks for the complements, the scope is as follows:

Trijicon AccuPoint - TR24R:1-4x24 30mm Riflescope with BAC, Red Triangle Reticle

An awesome solid scope, it doesn't fog, the fiber optic wire lights up the reticle perfectly, I would highly recommend it.

Regards,
Skinner_03

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Welcome! Even though you joined before me.
Very nice setup. Looks way better than my Pelican case cut jobs
Thanks for the welcome Binks! As long as you have it on a Pelican, no dirt or tossing of the case will stop you.

Regards,
Skinner_03

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pelican makes one ready made for the SBR that holds four extra mags..

View attachment 12358
Hey jhs27275,

Thanks for bringing in this picture, I had seen this case before, but to my surprise it was unfortunate that Pelican didn't manufacture a case for average "long" barrel PS-90.

Regards,
Skinner_03

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
Hey jhs27275,

Thanks for bringing in this picture, I had seen this case before, but to my surprise it was unfortunate that Pelican didn't manufacture a case for average "long" barrel PS-90.

Regards,
Skinner_03
They have a service where you can send them a tracing of a weapon and any extras you want included and they will make one for you. The one I got for the SBR is the Pelican case they make for the Feds.

Reactions: Skinner_03

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Case looks great...very well done. I feel bad lugging mine around in a duffel bag.
Hey akitainu,

Thanks for the kind words. Well, in contrast, the advantage of the duffel bag option, its a lot lighter than a Pelican case (Around seven pounds empty), so a plus for that one.

Regards,
Skinner_03

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They have a service where you can send them a tracing of a weapon and any extras you want included and they will make one for you. The one I got for the SBR is the Pelican case they make for the Feds.
Hey jhs27275,

Very good point, I have buddy that used the same service and it took a few trial and errors to tuned it just right. His first tracings resulted in a oversized fit, thus the equipment inside tossed around a bit. Thanks for the info!

Regards,
Skinner_03

·
Registered
110 Posts
I like it. Great idea.

I have a 1495 waiting for this exact same thing.

What was the aluminium used for?

Also, how do the mags stay tight into the lid?

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
A1 job on that.

Reactions: Skinner_03

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I like it. Great idea.

I have a 1495 waiting for this exact same thing.

What was the aluminium used for?

Also, how do the mags stay tight into the lid?
Hey FrankOceanXray,

Good question, you'll notice that your Pelican 1495 has a series of molded plastic stand-offs on the top lid; there is an aluminum sheet or panel (with the mag cut-outs) fastened to these stand-offs. The elastic bands securing the mags are then attached to the aluminum sheet. Then the aluminum sheet is dressed with the "egg crate" foam sheet.

Regards,
Skinner_03

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thank you very much.

Once my PS90 actually comes in, this will be a project.

My other project is trying to source ammo.

Do you use this for transport only or storage as well?

Hey FrankOceanXray,

Good question, you'll notice that your Pelican 1495 has a series of molded plastic stand-offs on the top lid; there is an aluminum sheet or panel (with the mag cut-outs) fastened to these stand-offs. The elastic bands securing the mags are then attached to the aluminum sheet. Then the aluminum sheet is dressed with the "egg crate" foam sheet.

Regards,
Skinner_03

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Hey Guys,

With this being my first post I wanted to share my latest PS-90 project with the community. A custom case which can accommodate two hundred rounds in four magazines, the PS-90 carbine with its scope, brass catcher and desiccant packet, all in one laptop case. This project took me a few months to put together mainly because the lack time I could to dedicate to it, work and home life just keeps me too busy.

For the first phase I used CAD software, Pro-E WF4, which enabled me to design and plan the proper spacing for all the components to be stored in the case. Second phase, the CAD file was taken to the local “machine shop” and the polyurethane foam and aluminum sheets were cut using a CNC water jet cutter; the foam took about a day to dry out. Last phase was assembly, few screws, some cutting and trimming, fit checks and it was good to go.

The case used for this project was the Pelican 1495 Laptop Case, it sparked my attention when I saw a picture on the net being used in the desert by the military to carry their laptops. Well, my thought was, if it’s good for them, it’s got to be good for me. Took note of the internal dimensions and started on the design.

It’s interesting the reaction I get from people at the range when their expectations are to see a pistol coming out of the case and instead it is a sixteen inch barrel carbine. So far, I’ve gotten positive feedback, I’ve had people approach me to see when can I start on their custom case. It feels great to show up at the range and just carry one case with everything I need.

Well, hope you guys enjoy the pictures as much I did. Many thanks and kudos to “Michael Kloth Photography” he did an outstanding job taking all the pictures.

Enjoy,
Skinner_03
Super cool case Skinner. Looks like a case that you would see in a movie..an actor opening up his case to reveal an immaculate fitting case with the weapon, accessories, optics, and ammo..very cool. Nice work

·
Registered
3,541 Posts

The case used for this project was the Pelican 1495 Laptop Case, it sparked my attention when I saw a picture on the net being used in the desert by the military to carry their laptops. Well, my thought was, if it's good for them, it's got to be good for me. Took note of the internal dimensions and started on the design.

Skinner_03
Question about the aluminum for the mags..you had the entire aluminum custom cut to make it correct?..And if you do not mind sharing, do you have pictures oh the aluminum parts?..or even pictures of the build?..I am super impressed with the case and now am determined to make myself one. I think if you were able to post up an article or tutorial on it that it would be an incredible resource and very informative. I love the fact that you made what you could yourself. Way to go. Again, very impressive and great job. If you do not have or want to post building pics, no worries, but if you do thanks a million in advance and for posting the completed case. I want one. I do not even have a PS90. Now I have to buy one so I can make the case for it. I will place the blame on you when the wife ask why I am buying a gun just to make an super cool case for it.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts