FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm a newb looking to pick up a PS90 USG this winter but have a question about the black USG sight. None of my local dealers stock them, so I haven't been able to inspect one in person yet, but my understading is that the optical sight is not adjustable?

If not, (seems a strange choice for a red dot optic?!) how does FN pre-zero them? Any particular distance?

I realize it's a submachine gun and not a precision weapon, but I imagine that unless the tolerances are super-tight on the weapon there's the possibility of significant discrepancies between Point-Of-Aim and Point-Of-Impact?

Thanks for setting me straight here.

TFD

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad to hear they're adjustable, but how?

Even the PS90 Owners Manual I saw posted eleswhere on the web doesn't mention sight adjustments at all, and the one USG I have seen in person(at a gun show) had no visible adjustment dials/knobs that I could see?

Thanks for clarifying!

TFD

·
Registered
39 Posts
There are two adjustments - one behind the sight for vertical the other in front for windage. Loosen center allen screw then turn large slotted screw and tighten allen screw.

Bruce :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Bruce. So if I follow you correctly, adjusting the sights on a PS90 USG actually requires moving the entire sight housing, rather than adjusting the internal location of the reticle within the sight's tube as you would with a traditional (EOTech, Aimpoint) optical sight?

TFD

·
Registered
857 Posts
Like I said, FN sights suck
go with the rail only model and get your own sight

I learned that lesson and applied it to my FS2000 purchase.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
wlcohen said:
It's adjustable, but if you can get one of the rail models with out the sites.
FN sites are just crap.
Thats true of the old White Reticle sites but the new USG/USSS (Black Reticle Sights) are 10 times better.
USSS Sight Front View

USSS Sight Top View

USSS Sight In Complete Darkenss

USSS Sight in Natural Day Light

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Those screws with the collar on them in the previous post are used to adjust them, You loosen the center allen screw and rotate the collar for adjustment. Its is a PIA to sight in if your not set up for it but my PS90 in a sight vice will put all 3 shots touching each other in a 1 inch target dot. :shock: The sight uses a radio active element to make the night site T reticule glow. The glow is subdued as it is night vision compatible.

·
Banned
328 Posts
The sight uses a radio active element

Tritium. The same element found in regular night sites on pistols, watch dials and various other items. I'm with Tqtran - nothing wrong with the USG sight.

You should never need to adjust the sight under normal conditions. As near as I can tell the weapon is zeroed between 50 and 100 yards from the factory. If you zero shorter than that you actually have to aim low at ranges beyond the zero which is kind of counter-intuitive. At very short ranges it's not critical anyway if you are engaging human-sized targets.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
kanthek said:
If you zero shorter than that you actually have to aim low at ranges beyond the zero which is kind of counter-intuitive.
My air rifle is like that. I have it zeroed at 25 yards and when shooting racoons or opossum on the bird feeder I have to aim about 2 inches lower than where I want to hit them. It helps to draw a picture to understand it better.

And yes, the USG sight is much better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just got one with the Black Reticle. I see nothing in the Glass...What am I missing.

Never said I was Sharpest Tool in the Shed :D

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
You most likely did not have your head down low enough for the proper cheek weld or you would have seen this

·
Registered
127 Posts
glocko said:
Just got one with the Black Reticle. I see nothing in the Glass...What am I missing.

Never said I was Sharpest Tool in the Shed :D
No problem.

My son had the same problem with the white reticle sight.

Rounds all over the range.

Son - "But Dad I am looking through the sights"
Me - "Do you see the cross hairs?"
Son - "Ah, what cross hairs?"
Me - Grabs son's head and repositions it where he could see the cross hairs.
Son - "OK, now I see it" And proceeds to send 30 rounds down range in rapid fire.

I have since upgraded to the black reticle sight and it helps both of us quite a bit with sighting.

Thanks,

Hoover :shock:

·
Banned
328 Posts
You're not right-handed and left-eye dominant are you? I had someone like that try my ps90 once - they found it impossible to see the reticle. I field stripped the weapon and had them look straight into the sight from behind and then they saw it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
glocko said:
Left eye, Right eye, Both eyes, upside down...I see nothing :cry:

No cross-hairs??? I'm stumped?
Strange. :(

The "cross hairs" that I refer to is just the reticle that is shown in the photos on this thread.

You do have to get your head/eye fairly low onto to the stock to see it.

Thanks,

Hoover

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
kanthek said:
You're not right-handed and left-eye dominant are you? I had someone like that try my ps90 once - they found it impossible to see the reticle. I field stripped the weapon and had them look straight into the sight from behind and then they saw it.
See, that is me. THat is why I love my Eotech setup on my PS90 - I can use either eye

1 - 20 of 33 Posts