FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
The most? i don't know yet. I plan to have both.
I'm starting with the PS90, when I deck it out the way I want, I'll get a DPMS Arctic .223, then the 2000.

Does the 2000 take AR mags?

TA

·
Registered
857 Posts
I finally got to actually see the fs200 in person this week
it was much more bulkier than i thought it would be

It looks very cool but not sure i really like it over a standard AR carbine - especially at 3 times the price, my local shop wanted $2400
my AR cost me around $800

I think i am going to pass on it for now - see what happens to the prices as more become available

for $2400 i can buy about 3-4 of the guns on my list to buy

- the 2000 does take standard AR mags but from what i hear it will only work with 30 rounders

·
Registered
268 Posts
The AR15 is a much more versatile weapon than the FS2000. The AR15's modularity is almost unparalleled. You can go with a rugged combat-tested 2-stage trigger, quad-rail FF handguard, and customize it to your liking and still not come close to the FS2000's lowest price tag.

The PS90 has been tested and used for over a decade, and fires a unique cartridge. There's almost nothing else like it on the market, which makes it kind of interesting. For a go-to weapon, I'd still have to pick the AR15.

BTW

The OAL of the FS2000 and PS90 still makes them unsuitable for CQB use since you still have to watch the muzzle while swinging it around in a doorway. A SBR'd PS90 or P90 doesn't have that problem because your supporting hand is essentially at the muzzle, which gives you a memory effect of knowing where the muzzle is at all times (not the case with the FS2000 or PS90 in CQB). When I think CQB, I think of worst case scenarios: small enclosed areas with tight doorways. Of course, in an open field or open urban environment, the barrel lengths aren't that big of a deal as long as they are of manageable lengths. I'd still take a 16" M4 over the FS2000.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I made my choice the other day, my local shop had both. I got the PS90.

I think that FS2000 gets the cool award of the year but realistically I doubt it can outshoot a high quality AR-15 and definatly is not as versitile. On the flip side to that, there's not an AR-15 made that could beat it for close quarters work

but when it comes to close quarters I'd take the PS-90 over the FS2000.

If I had everything on my want list allready and someone doubled my pay then ya, I would do it. But other than that I'll pass.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I don't own an FS2000 nor have I handled one, but I do own a ps90. For me the sideways rounds of the ps90 win out for innovation. The FS has the forward eject but the ps90 is ambidextrous as well. Plus the ps90 was a whole new concept in weapons. PS90 wins.

·
Registered
24 Posts
PS90. The FS2000 is pretty cool, but I can't easily see what it can do that a cheaper modified AR15 can't.

·
Banned
41 Posts
HMC said:
PS90. The FS2000 is pretty cool, but I can't easily see what it can do that a cheaper modified AR15 can't.
one word ... bullpup... :p but serioulsy us leftys don't like brass flying past our faces and having to contort our fingers into strange configurations to reach the weapons controls. I've owned 2 and fired alot more ARs over the years and still haven't found one that i liked more than my ak. Don't get me wrong, AR's are ok, but the wonderweapons of all time they are not.

If you want to be all Tacticool then yeah the AR has the most crap you can buy for it. But, if your like me and like your weapons NOT to look like this,

then theres alot of guns that will serve just as well as an ar. People with delusions of granduer about "Sniping" or other wannabe soldier of fortune talk really need to step back and look at the reality of what situations they are likely to be in and most importantly, thier own abilitys. if you gave a PSG-1 to the average schmo and a Stevens crackshot of 1920's vintage to a olympic sharpshooter and had them compete on the range the dude with the PSG-1 would more than likely have his ass handed to him.

Personally i would take a WWII vintage STG44 over any AR and a 9mm MP34 over any modern subgun. Personally i believe those weapons to be the pinnacle of their respective designs. Just because something is "Newer" don't make it "Better" Thats why the M2 .50 machine gun is still soldiering on 80+ years later. To bad the "ain't broke, don't fix it" metality hasn't saved more older, better designs.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The AK is not as ergonomic as the AR15. I don't like the rock and lock mag system or the lack of a BHO on the AK. The AK also spits out shell cases like it hates them, so you can damage someone else's gun at the range. There was a guy with a junk gun SKS to my left at the 100 yd, and I was shooting the PS90. A few of his shells smacked my PS90 and he was wondering why I was kind of peeved. Mainly because my PS90 is worth about 2-3 dozen of the junk gun SKSs, needless to say I tried to put up one of this nets at the range but eventually I had to move (I was there first).

The AR15 is pretty much the model of ergonomics (last round BHO, easy to reach mag catch, spits shells neatly to one area) and is extremely modular for a "standard" weapon. The FS2000 is great if you just want a FS2000. To me, the AR15 is still my "go-to" weapon and the AK would make a great SHTF weapon as well, although 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 ammo isn't easy to find state-side in case you are shooting and scooting during a zombie invasion. You can at least find a decent supply of .223 Rem at sporting goods stores in case you are running short of ammo during a zombie outbreak.

·
Banned
41 Posts
metroplex said:
The AR15 is pretty much the model of ergonomics (last round BHO, easy to reach mag catch, spits shells neatly to one area) and is extremely modular for a "standard" weapon.
I've never found AR's to be that ergonomic myself. Like i said being a lefty i would take the ak anyday. i just feels better in my hands. Plus most european weapons don't have BHO such as the p90 so to me its not a big deal, plus ar mags are cheesy and flimsy. you can use an ak mag as a club and it'll still work.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I practice shooting as both a leftie and righty. I agree that the AR was really intended for a right handed shooter, and the AK is actually easier to use for a leftie since the charging handle can be racked more easily by the off-hand.
I don't like the AK's mag catch or the rock and lock method. I know the M1A/M14 uses this, among many other weapons but I never liked them.

The AK mags are quite sturdy, but they're heavy and bulky to carry. My DH / NHMTG AR/STANAG mags are sturdy and reliable (standard USGI 30rd green followers) even with Wolf ammo. They're lightweight and less bulky than the huge AK 7.62x39 mags. Even the Bulgy waffle AK mags are still bulky (albeit lighter due to the polymer material).

I'd still pick the AR15 over the AK due to ergonomics, precision, mag availability and quality, and modularity of the entire weapon system.

A

·
0 Posts
I will have to say that I prefer the PS90 the best. It is more streamline and less bulky than the FS2000.

·
Registered
857 Posts
metroplex said:
I practice shooting as both a leftie and righty. I agree that the AR was really intended for a right handed shooter, ...
Maybe the orignal was, but not my Stag Lefty 8)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'd go out and purchase the FS2000 if it were priced the same as the PS90, but that'll never happen. It also is rumored to not like heavy .223 loads nor steel-cased wolf ammo (you're welcome to prove me wrong).

To be quite honest, I'm not going to toss a fortune into a home defense SHTF goto rifle as it's very likely that it will be seized and impounded in an evidence locker after an altercation. My 16" saiga .223 serves that role and I'd just as soon ask the DA or property clerk for a check equal to the purchase price, then go buy another one. It's accurate enough to repeatedly hit COM out to 100 yards, and prefers to toss out the heavier loads.

My PS90 makes a nice drive-by coyote, marmot, and county roadsign, and anything it can't do is supplemented by my handgun or shotgun.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I have both and I defiantly prefer the PS90.
It's more accurate, unique, simple, and durable.
I think of the P90 as the ultimate submachine gun. I don't think of the F2000 as the ultimate assault rifle. It's close, but no cigar.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I picked up a FS2000 a few weeks ago and it quickly became my favorite (I own several SBR ARs, an HK89, AKs). I chose it over the PS90 b/c I was "iffy" as I didn't know much about the ammo. Unfortunately I found this site and now I have to have a PS90 too. It is on my very, very short list......This is a great place for info!

As far as AR vs. FS2000, I would grab my 10.5" AR for one reason, the mags drop free.

·
Registered
3 Posts
PS90 - FS2000 - AR15

I have all three and have the following to add to the conversation:

AR15: best pricing, good ergonomics, great set of mods, best price, works for a lefty fine. Mine has a TA01LAW

FS2000: great ergonomics, AR15 mags , short & handy, pricey, works for a lefty fine. Mine has an ML3 4MOA

PS90: odd & expensive ammo, short & handy, good ergonomics, pricey, works for a lefty fine. Mine has an ML3 2MOA

...so which would I pick in a crunch...the closest! Actually, in the house the FS would be the one I'd grab...shorter, less protrusions to snag, has the ML3

·
Registered
980 Posts
dumapus said:
o. It is on my very, very short list......This is a great place for info!

As far as AR vs. FS2000, I would grab my 10.5" AR for one reason, the mags drop free.
If you remove the rubber seal the mags will drop free.
Getting the stock back together requires a little patience, and forethought. But it's not a hard mod.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts