FN Herstal Firearms banner

PS90 – What have we Learned?

4K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  black campbell 
#1 ·
Okay, Shipwreck had me interested from his posts in the XD forum. My question, and a legitimate one, is what has the current owners learned to date about this gun during their ownership? For example: design falls, upgrades that are needed out-of-the-box, common errors to avoid, ammo selection, cleaning methods, etc.

It would be nice to make this a “Master” review post to review “Learned Lessons” on the PS90. It gets really tough reading some many posts to capture a synopsis of the PS90.

Much appreciated and thanks!

#2 ·
That's an intesting first post. Welcome to the forum. :)

To answer your question, the PS90 sections of this forum are grouped together and it's probably best to just read thru those to get everyones views.

My view?
1. Be careful with the mags. If you go slamming them around or forcing ammo into them wrong, or jamming them into the rifle, you may crack one. They are not delicate and I haven't broke one, but they are not aluminum and I am carefull not to abuse a 50 dollar mag for no reason.
2. The Black ring USSS stock site is better than the white one in most peoples opinions. But still, most people will probably choose to put a different optic on it.
3. The trigger pull not light but I like it as it is. I may try to lighten it later but not anytime soon.
4. They are easy to clean and lube.
5. Ammo is a bit pricey but in todays market it is not out of line.
6. The Urban ERT strap is great.
7. The brass catcher is worth every penny.
8. It is a hoot to shoot! And everyone that see's it wants to come look at it.
9. I'm glad I bought it.
10. Check out our sponsors sights for assesories.

TA

#4 ·
8)
I give the rifle 2 guns up!
Best all around defensive weapon! Beter than a pistol and smaller and lighter then a full rifle.
The only weak part on it is the original white ring sight. (but there is going to be a fix on the market soon .... :wink: )

I'm cosidering selling some of my other weapons to buy a few more PS90's. :shock:

#6 ·
Do you mean letting the bolt slam forward on an empty chamber? That is not supposed to be good for it. Mine does not show any wear though.

TA

#9 ·
The only problem with it I've got is that there's not BHO.
But, a)I don't see how you could do one and b)it would lose it's great simplicity.

It's a great simple defensive carbine. Just don't try to make/compare it to what it isn't (a P90 is not a M4. They're for different jobs. One's a PDW, one's a rifle, etc. etc. etc.).

#14 ·
What I have learned.
1. thousands of rounds and never a misfire
2. the trigger weight selector improves accuracy, big time
3. the standard ring sight is, under some lighting conditions, absolutely worthless
4. doesn't pull on my beard :p
5. one of my barrels (16") has developed small bulges in the bore. :(
6. tried zeiss, USSS, Trijicon tripower, and Eotech optics. The Eotech is by far the fastest and most visible in all conditions
7. PS90 is heavy all decked out and fully loaded!
8. ACCURATE!!! 1" groups at 100 yards
9. I have black and green, TR and 'regular', and I don't have a favorite between them.
10. The internal laser is the coolest accessory.

#17 ·
What I've learned:

The PS90 mags are on the breakable side. I was gentle with them, but if you don't insert them gently into the weapon, the rotary face can crack. This is my only real complaint.

Changing the OEM sight to the USSS or another kind of sight is a good idea, but I fond the OEM worked okay (and the iron sights work just fine.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.