FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This got a good response in the welcome Forum, here is the rest of the build.

First the donor, It saved my wife's all weather from the transformation.

It took several weeks to come across it but found this little number for cheap (stainless with grey laminate stock, metal trigger guard and Simmons .22 scope).
It is the nastiest gun I have ever seen, It must have had 10K rounds through it with out a cleaning.

I don't have pics of the crude in the action but it was BAD!!!

I spent 40 min with Hopes #9 and a tooth brush then gun scrubber.

I got it cleaned, up removed the scope, barrel, mount and removed the Stock. The stock has a few small dinks and scuffs but a refinish will look like new or make a great upgrade for a shooter as is.

I have the P90 airsoft rifles incoming, I got two! One is a non functioning unit for $5 and another new unit for $25 to play with.

Soon it shall begin .

I have the epoxy and micro-bubbles ready to stiffen and reinforce the stock.

Bit of an update.

Got the P90's in , don't bother using the for actual airsoft guns... they suck!!!

Here are some progress pics.

I don't want a flimsy rifle like the other builds and didn't want to rely on support on the front of the barrel so I could have the option of swapping barrels and having a semi free floating system (the site will rely on support form the barrel though).

I made a very extended mag release and test fitted the setup and it works out well.

I used Aluminum 1/4" stock instead of plastic and I will use extended bolt stop and trigger guard pins to stabilize the receiver from behind.

I made a take down screw mounting block out of a chunk of scrap aluminum I had.

It looked real nice!!!!

Then I went after it with a grinder for glue bite and a drill to swiss-cheese it for Epoxy and rebar to so it would hold tight.

After laser bore sighting and lasering the frame to colimate them, I built a mold to mount the block to the frame and molded in a magazine guide to speed up mag changes.

I am now waiting for the Epoxy to set.

Next I will fit and place a carbon fiber tube guided and carbon fiber reinforced trigger rod assembly.

It should be a blast. I am looking for a 20" sporter barrel but until I can find one I am using the 22" barrel.

I placed the receiver back farther than most other builds as well. This is to allow for the most barrel length should I decide to SBR it.

The back of the Receiver is touching the butt plate as well so the recoil is going straight into my shoulder and not through the frame.

Here are some hi res shots of the inside shell and the clean up of the charging handle.

I filled in the trade mark with epoxy and sanded it flush I am going to engrave the other side with the actual trade marking for S&G.
You would not believe how hard it is to find high res shots of a real P90... esp a tri-rail...

http://olivier.quenechdu.free.fr/spi...g/P90_high.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../24/FN-P90.JPG
http://talks.guns.ru/forums/icons/fo...454/454047.jpg

You can see the plates with the rear reinforcement holes for the extended Bolt buffer.

I will be filling some of the cavities with epoxy , carbon fiber struts and micro bubbles to stiffen it up.

I was getting rid of the trade marks and figured I would put the FN Trademarks on it... that grew to SN and then model and caliber...

I didn't spend a lot of time I just put a picture of a P90 on my pantograph and traced them out...

For some reason I cant get the angle in a photo, the marks are more distinct than this.

Here are the Semi completed pics with and without the Fake can.

I think I will get a nicer mag although I am kind of proud of my mock bullets!

Thank you.

It is done now!

Just need to refinish it with OD green.

Did I mention the p90 charging handle works?

I still need to make some kind of Square shroud for the charging handle rod but that will be simple.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Nice job! I would like to see how you connected the P90 charging handle to the 10/22

The only thing I would point out just to keep you out of trouble is that the serial number has to visible. a simple widow cut in the side would do this, just like on the other bullpup stocks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is a Shot with the Eotech Clone and a fabbed up proto sling.

It has a 10 round mag in it now.

I have a brass catcher bag I am making to complete the look with the 25 round and 50 round double stack mags that will allow swapping mags easily.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Nice build.

I built my PS90 .22lr clone back in '07.

I ended up using a tokyo Marui P90 body (almost as sturdy as the real thing) and a metal upper receiver base that was machined to have a taper
fit of the ruger 1022's taper barrel in the pic. The rifle is rock solid, cheap to shoot and actually pretty accurate. It has an 18.5" barrel and BARELY
hits 26.5" OAL . Fun little plinker with the 25rnd TI25 mags. I am also using a real FN white ringsight with adjustable zero just as my real PS90's had.

The only thing I didn't work on getting functional is the side charging handle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool,

I was planing on doing a nicer one with a TM but I am going to use a real PS90 Stock now.

Is your mag release a slider connected to the Ruger release? I am planing on doing this with mine.

Remember 26" is measured from the Muzzle back!

The muzzle is deemed the start of the barrel, if the break is not permanent is IS NOT the muzzle as it is not part of the barrel.

·
Vendor
5,876 Posts
:shock: Nice work! I Fitted an M1 Carbine in an Airsoft stock and it really makes shooting that old relic fun!

Here is an instuction video for a 10/22 conversion. :?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yup 26.5" from the front of the barrel, not the brake. It's a pre-ban ruger 1022 in that, so I can have a threaded barrel here in CT.

I don't see how you could connect the top mag release to the ruger's mag release though. The fake P90 mag I'm using is exactly like the real deal with metal bullets in it (inert) and will pop out
if I pull the upper mag release.
I'm just using an extended mag release on the bottom as usual.

There is a ton of info on the : www.customrifles.info website regarding custom built rifles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My ps90.10/22 Functioned perfectly with CCI's and one magazine, I had a lot of light strikes on the bulk pack stuff and one magazine kept keeping the trigger from resetting weird...

Do you have a shot of the inside?

I am interested in seeing the thickness of the stock and ribbing as well as the Metal reciver.

I think I will be doing this for real with a good stock.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Go to that site I linked in the prior post. There are bunch of pics I posted and videos too in the past of my builds including the PS90.

Too much to write and I don't even knwo where the pictures still are.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Since my Dremel-Fu isn't as good as you guys, I'll stay away from this project.
But nice work though :?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts