FN Herstal Firearms banner

PS90 a Love/Hate relationship.

6K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  mbjku 
#1 ·
I really like the PS90. It just feels right and is a fun gun to shoot.
I really hate the PS90. it's expensive to shoot an lord only knows here the bullets are going.
OK, it may be me. Started with about 200 rounds trying to calibrate the red dot sight. Got the elevation somewhere near right but the windage was all the way out and the bullet strike was still at the edge of the paper target at 25 yds. I hate this gun.
Look at the rail and it was all the way against one side of the channel. Off to the auto parts store to buy a set of feeler gauges and get the rail centered.
Back to the range, 25 yd zero range and getting very nice shot groups feeling real good. I love this gun.
Home, clean it, put it away for another week and back to the range to shoot at the 100yd targets. Where the heck are the bullets going? There is a 24” square target on a virgin 6’ square backboard and after 15 rounds not a hole in sight. I hate this gun.
Then I notice the rail and sight are loose. Somehow the set screw loosened and the sights are somewhere but nowhere close to where they should be. Put the gun away with a curse. Pick up the 10/22 and put a bunch of holes in the target just to make me not look so bad.
Home, Clean the gun, pull out the laser boresight tool reset the rail/sight, refill the magazine and wait til next week when we go back to the range. I want to love my gun again.
Ugh: My wife actually picked up and likes the 9mm Beretta CX4 Carbine.

See less See more
#2 ·
Loctite is your best friend with the PS90. I had the same issue.

#6 ·
+1 on the LocTie thread locker.
That damn setscrew loves the screw you over and back out.
I hav not heard of a single PS90 from which that stupid screw loosened out.

+1 on the Tros mount too. That is a well designed piece and it even loweres the sights so you do not have to deal with a sight heights offset when sighted at 100yrds but firing at short ranges.

#3 ·
I really like the PS90. It just feels right and is a fun gun to shoot.
I really hate the PS90. it's expensive to shoot an lord only knows here the bullets are going.
OK, it may be me.Started with about 200 rounds trying to calibrate the red dot sight.Got the elevation somewhere near right but the windage was all the way out and the bullet strike was still at the edge of the paper target at 25 yds. I hate this gun.
Look at the rail and it was all the way against one side of the channel.Off to the auto parts store to buy a set of feeler gauges and get the rail centered.
Back to the range,25 yd zero range and getting very nice shot groupsfeeling real good.I love this gun.
Home, clean it, put it away for another week and back to the range to shoot at the 100yd targets.Where the heck are the bullets going?There is a 24” square target on a virgin 6’ square backboard and after 15 rounds not a hole in sight.I hate this gun.
Then I notice the rail and sight are loose.Somehow the set screw loosened and the sights are somewhere but nowhere close to where they should be.Put the gun away with a curse.Pick up the 10/22 and put a bunch of holes in the target just to make me not look so bad.
Home, Clean the gun, pull out the laser boresight tool reset the rail/sight, refill the magazine and wait til next week when we go back to the range.I want to love my gun again.
Ugh:My wife actually picked up and likes the 9mm Beretta CX4 Carbine.
Solution.....

TROS mount.

#4 ·
Before you go to the range ( or even at the range) take the upper off so you can look down the barrel. Put it on a table and look through the barrel at a point 25 ft away. Now look through your sight and line up the sight to what the barrel is pointing at. This will save you a lot of ammo and get you close to your zero. Blue Loctite does help keep those screws from loosening. :target:

#8 ·
For those who may be interested: My PS90 came with the red dot sight. to center up the mounting bracket and sight I hit the tool box for a set of feeler gages. Found that the mount has .046 total spacing so I used a .023 strip and tightened everything down. Rechecked the zero (using the above method) and it is still spot on. Find out at the range Friday.

#11 ·
This is why I decided to SBR my tri-rail and not my standard white ring sight PS90.

Have to have the locking bolts nice and tight.

Yes, thread lock will help with your issue.

#13 ·
Little bit on the center Alan head screw should do it.

#19 ·
There are 2 kinds ( primarily ) for this application 242 & 243 . The 243 is the grease & oil ( i believe ) type... which I prefer. I would dbl check that but I used all the 243 up.... The big bottles are about $99 now a days....
ouch !
Just for the record, loctite works best when both mating surfaces are cleaned , I use alcohol or contact cleaner. Blow off with air & apply.
I myself agree with Kam, sooner or later it will work loose and be a spoiler.... just about the time your lending it to a range budd to share how flat shooting & consistent it is..... !

#20 ·
I also hate having to adjust the fn sight. But it is awesome, uses sunlight to power it and when needed I flip on the back up power modification done by m1bullpup. Now far as the ps90 goes I hate it so much I plan on eventually buying another one. It will likely get a h1 aimpoint or a micro red dot rmr or burris fast fire. Also I want it to have an original p90 flash hider. Of course it will be sbr`d.

#29 · (Edited)
I own and shot both PS90 and CX4/9mm, it is little different carbines and main difference to me is rounds. You could use bipod with CX4 and zero it pretty well, besides it is longer. With PS90 it is not as simple but I did zero it at 25 yards pretty well and it is very accurate even with cheap Bushnell red dot. Longer than 25 yards I can't see well and my results is not as good, 50 yards is longest I tried with PS90 and at 50 yards I am not that good with red dot, maybe if I use optics instead i could adjust but carbine seem made for red dot. Anyway, I love both, 25 yards is very good distance for both and I am fine. For longer I shot my AK's or AR's with optical scopes only, honestly hate red dots ...:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.