FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been on the fence for days about purchasing the PS90 because of the ammo. I love the look and size of the gun. I am comfortable with the ballistic performance but I can find only one other gun out there (besides the 5-7) that fires this round. It's like buying a car that runs on special, one-of-a-kind fuel. Will it be around next year? Will the ammo cost shoot up because there is very little competition on the market?

I want so badly to hear "Don't worry, this ammo is common now and probably won't be banned" but I am not hearing that.
I was ready to "pull the trigger" and get one of these today (since I looked at it last night first hand) but I can't get over the ammo issue. I hate to say I am considering the "other" gun just because of my concerns about the ammo.

I have been reading non-stop about the PS90 and I want one!!! - BUT - is it too risky. If the ammo becomes unavailable, the gun will be worthless. Are other manufacturers using this roundof which I am unaware?

With the wealth of knowledge on this board (which I greatly respect) others must have the same concerns. I am very anxious to hear your feedback.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Worst case scenario the round dries up. Keep your brass and places can reload for you, or you can get into reloading....

Elite Ammunition can reload your brass.

I had the same concern, but when I realized my ARs were consuming ammo that cost the same as the 5.7 I decided to take the plunge.

Thus far I got alittle over 1K 5.7. Once Im upto around 5K I will feel comfortable that I can continue reloading even if the current production dried up for several years...perhaps my lifetime. As stated KEEP YOUR BRASS.

I have heard nothing about this round being discontinued as it is.

If you can justify the weapon financially and have considered its limitations ballistically (no flame intended fellas), I say get it sooner rather than later....if for no other reason than the prices seem to be inching up.

·
Registered
15,552 Posts
Initially, I had the same concerns. So, I stocked up. I have 2100 round on hand all the time. I will tryto increase that to 3000 by the end of the year.

If they stopped making it - I'd have enough to last me several years. If I got a hint that this was coming, I'd pick up more.

I didn'tw ant the gun to be like that gyrojet rifle that use to be sold - and no now one can get the ammo for it.

I'm not too concerned about it. But, if it were to happen - I would have a stash of ammo.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Here is a list of countries/units using the 5.7x28mm ammo with the P90.
Hope it helps in your desision.

Austria - Austrian Army, Jagdkommando.
Argentina - Buzos Tácticos and Amphibious Commandos Group.
Belgium - Belgian Directorate of Special Units and Special Forces Group.
Canada - Used by police in the Halifax Regional Municipality in Nova Scotia and by the Service de police de la Ville de Montréal.
Chile - Chilean Army, Chilean Marines.
Cyprus - Cypriot National Guard.
France - French Gendarmerie GIGN and National Police RAID.
Greece - Coast Guard.
Indonesia - Kopassus.
Ireland - Irish Army Rangers.
Lebanon - SSL (Service Secret Libanaise) and the GSGN (Groupement de Sécurité de la Gendarmerie Nationale)
Malaysia - PASKAL counter-terrorist force.
Mexico - Mexican Navy and the Fuerzas Especiales (special forces).
Morocco - GISGR (Groupement d'Intervention et de Sécurité de la
Gendarmerie Royale).
Netherlands - Bijzondere Bijstands Eenheid and Korps Commandotroepen
counter-terrorism units.
Pakistan - Pakistan Army, Special Service Group and VIP protection
squads.
Panama - Institutional Protective Service.
Peru - Peruvian Navy and special forces.
Philippines - Philippine Special Action Force; certain army units.
Portugal - Special Operations Groups.
Saudi Arabia - Special Emergency Force.
Singapore - Singapore Commandos.
Spain - Spanish police and Guardia Civil special forces. Also used by the
Spanish Armed Forces. Navy, Army, Air force for special
operation units such as the Escuadron de Apoyo al Despliegue
Aereo (EADA) and the Escuadron de Zapadores Paracaidistas
Thailand - Royal Thai Army special forces.
United Kingdom - Used by the West Midlands Police at Birmingham
Airport, and other constabularies at regional airports.
United States - United States Secret Service and numerous law
enforcement agencies. The first U.S. team to do so was the
Richland County Sheriff's Department in South Carolina.[4][5] It is
also used by SWAT teams in Washington D.C. and Indianapolis. In
California, the San Francisco Police Department SWAT team uses the
P90.[6][7] In Missouri, the Columbia and Hallsville police
departments are among those whose special-duty units have them,
while the Creve Coeur Police Department uses the P90 as their
patrol duty rifle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shipwreck/easy,
I am planning on reloading this round if I purchase the PS90. I tend to be on the cautious side when purchasing items that rely on consumables (ammo).
I've been away from reloading for quite some time and I'm looking forward to getting back into it as an extension of the hobby/sport.

I know .223 ammo prices have increased and is about the same if not more than 5.7 but I am looking at this more from an availability standpoint than price (although price is the second priority).

Financially, I have justified the gun - but - I wouldn't want to put this amount of money into something I have to worry about feeding a year or two from now. It's such a shame this isn't available in a more common caliber. I would have been working on my SBR by now.
I don't mind stashing ammo but it would be so much more comforting knowing I could get more if needed.

I really appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
devildoc,
This is the kind of info that does help me decide. This is an impressive list of users!

Do you know if other manufacturers are adopting the 5.7 round?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Right now, as far as I can tell FN in belgum is making most of it, Fiocchi in the US is under contract to make the SS197 ammo. There was scuttlebutt that Wolf was going to also make 5.7 ammo but no new word on that as of yet. There are a few small groups such as BACA, EA, and others that make custom (pricey) ammo. Although I haven't used any of the custom stuff, I hear mixed reports.

Like others I also keep over 1000 rounds on hand for my PS90, but not because I'm worried about the ammo becoming scarce, its just that I like having lots of food for all of my babies. :D

On a side note: I have read that alot of US police dept are looking at the PS90 as a possable patrol car gun do to its design and the new SS198LF Ammo confirmed my suspions.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have yet to enter a gun shop that didn't have 5.7 ammo in stock.

The pricing varies GREATLY, but they all have it.

And if you are worried about it being banned, keep saving your brass! It's a great gun, well worth the money (especially for what they sell for now days!).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, I'm starting to feel a bit more comfortable with my purchase but I need to ask this.
Based on ammunition supply and price only, is there any reason I would go with the .223 over the 5.7?

Is the .223 at the same risk of being banned as the 5.7?

Thanks again for all of the info you guys have provided.

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
shockspot said:
With the three candidates we have running for President who can say?

As far as I am concerned.....if you WANT to own a certain rifle you BETTER GET IT NOW...cause in a few short months we are gong to see legislation that will limit what rifles and ammo you can purchase.

No question about it if you ask me. If you don't get it now..you may NEVER have the RIGHTS to get it later in your lifetime.

·
Administrator
11,082 Posts
ick said:
shockspot said:
With the three candidates we have running for President who can say?

As far as I am concerned.....if you WANT to own a certain rifle you BETTER GET IT NOW...cause in a few short months we are gong to see legislation that will limit what rifles and ammo you can purchase.

No question about it if you ask me. If you don't get it now..you may NEVER have the RIGHTS to get it later in your lifetime.
Good reply. If you want it now, get it. You will not be able to get it later, regardless who is elected to the presidency. Every candidate wants to take your second amendment right from you so exercise it now while you can.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for the feedback. I feel much better about my decision to buy the PS90 tomorrow. YES!
I have also decided to get the "other" gun as well. So now there is no fence for me to stand on. This Saturday will be one to remember for me.

I'm looking forward to being actively involved in this forum as I earn my stripes.

After being away from this sport I love for many years, I'm excited to get back into it. Before work and kids took over my life, I was primarily a pistol shooter. I'm looking forward to my next journey with some great guns and new reloading experiences.

Thanks for helping me with my decision!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did it!!

I am finally a proud owner of a brand new Black PS90! Now I'm onto the the forms to SBR this baby and dress it up a bit. Reloading dies for 5.7 are on the list too. I also bought one of the "other" guns as well. After all of the "Get it NOW if you want it" replies I just had to do it. I'm glad I did.

I will be looking for a place to live after I gather all of my clothes off of the front lawn. Women are so sensitive!

·
Registered
408 Posts
@shockspot

As my father told me once... never buy anything you don't want to be thrown at you at a high velocity, unless you ordered flowers for the wife first.

hehe

Zhur

·
Registered
12 Posts
The price was local here in mid michigan. 18 a box is the best I have found. They "michigan police supply" just bought a case. No I am not an LEO just joe civilian. I will buy a case or 2 in July.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts