FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might buy a gun safe soon - but I only have handguns and the 1 rifle - my PS90. Anyway, the PS90 is obviously is short that it won't fit into the normal slots for rifle barrels in a regular gunsafe.

How are U guys doing it? I suppose I could lean it in the corner of the safe, but I'm not sure I want to worry about it sliding.

My main concern for locking stuff up is to kiddie proof my weapons. I won't be buying a super expensive one, so it won't be a 2000lb, immovable safe :roll: - It won't be super burglar proof anyway (although, I always have someone at home now). I just want to keep a child from getting to it as he gets older, and to cover my ass legally so I don't have a kid with one of my guns one day, and I'll get arrested (as a probation officer, I don't need that).

I was using a combination doorknob on a closet, and the door hinges have non removable pins now. I like the way my ammo is stored at the moment, and I have a hook and stabilizer mounted on the wall right now. So, the PS90 is free standing against the wall at the moment - looks pretty kewl too. I'd kind of prefer to keep a "gun closet." Moisture problems are less of an issue that way too.

But, the combo doorknob I have been using is broken, and I am returning it. I might get another one that doesn't have a motor that runs on batteries (the motor broke). But, before I spend another $100+ on a different combo doorknob, I might just buy a gunsafe.

However, I am not seeing any gun safe in my price range that fits what I want. I have mostly handguns, and most of these gunsafes are for rifles (with just 1 shelf at the top). I don't really feel like making shelves (I don't have the power tools and am allergic to wood dust, so I can't do it myself).

Gander Mountain sells a nice grey gun safe for $450. And, it has several shelves w/ it. However, when I looked at it again yesterday - it has NO way to mount it to the wall. There are no pre drilled holes like some other safes have. The $450 is already at the top of my budget - where my wife is claiming I must use my new gun money to buy it. However, for that money, I expect to mount it to the wall. It is too easy to tip over.

The cheap Sentry and Stack On safes at least have a kit to attach the safe to the floor or wall.

So, I am debating a Sentry safe or a combo doorknob. I can get the Sentry safe today if I want to - assuming I am happy with how to get everything in there - and I'm really not...

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you are gonna continue using your current closet, I'd go with a mechanical combo lock like a Simplex rather than a battery powered electronic. Like this one:

http://citywidesecurity.stores.yahoo.net/sim70.html

I have a hand gun safe made by these guys:

http://www.handgunsafe.com/

It has a simplex lock and it is very easy to use, even in complete darkness. If anyone is looking for a hand gun sized safe, I heartily recommend them.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I already have a Gunvault - it holds 1 handgun. But I am looking for something to hold the rest of them, the PS90 and my ammo.

Yea, I am going to be getting a simplex one next time, if I choose not to get the safe.

·
Registered
170 Posts
It really depends on what you plan on buying. Will you buy more long guns? Will you start stocking up ammo? More handguns? If you plan on really buying more guns I'd buy a real safe. If you are done buying stuff then there is a little corner gun lock thing you can buy. It screws into the studs of the wall then a locking cable goes through the guns then you lock it. It's not a safe or cabinet just a cable.

·
Registered
120 Posts
ShipWreck said:
Well, I already have a Gunvault - it holds 1 handgun. But I am looking for something to hold the rest of them, the PS90 and my ammo.
My example of the Handgun Safe was an endorsement of the Simplex lock, not a recommendation of their product for your application.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
I bought a Sentry safe from Academy for about 500. It has the coded entry and I love it.

Only has one shelf though because I only had two handguns when I bought it. This is what it looked like the day the cabinets were finished and the safe was slid into place.

Since these pics were taken... I now have a lot more hand guns... and more rifles. The bungie cords on the inside of the door hold my carry guns in their holsters. When I get dressed I walk to the safe punch in the code, turn off the protection :D , and pick out a carry piece. .380, 9mm, 40SW, or 45.

So I need safe number two now. Or I'll move a few to my bro's house to make room in mine. He still has a little space in his safe.

Sentry makes a safe like mine that has shevles down the left side. It would work better for you for now. But they weight about 400lbs.

I don't keep ammo in safes with guns. I'd use your closet for that. And I put moisture absorbant devices in the safe each month since it is near the washer and dryer. The PS90 gets proped up behind the longer guns or stood in the middle of them. And I had to lower the one shelf I have so I could stand the pistols up next to each other. My safe is bolted to the floor.

TA

Reactions: wharfrat1940

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
TA- nice safe! Hope you don't store ammo in there on those multiple, back-to-back clothes drying days (just kidding).

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, the Sentry safe I was looking at is like that one, but with a combination dial.

There is one at lowes I am going to go look at on the way home today for $397. It is grey, and has shelves. I think it will also attack to a wall. As it will go in a closet with floor in it already (on a concrete slab), I don't want to attach anything to the floor.

I have 6 handguns and 1 rifle. At most, I may get 1 more rifle (MAYBE a Beretta Storm, 1 day). And, I will probably have more handguns over my lifetime.

I already have a handgun rack that holds 4 handguns. I may buy another one soon. I am not sure if 2 next to each other would fit on the shelf in the cheaper Sentry Safe.

I already have 1200 rounds of 9mm and 2000 rounds of 5.7, and 500 rounds of 22. That's about all I plan to stock. If I buy a safe but don't keep the ammo inside, then I guess I'll still lock that closet door - just with a regular keyed lock.

I didn't want to have to worry about where my keys are at all the time when my child gets older - hence something with a combination - whether it be a a safe or a combination doorknob.

I'm kinda waivering back and forth on which I want. I will go look at the two safes today again and tryto decide. The cheaper one is on sale, and my wife might let me come home with that one. The one at Lowes is $397 - a little bit more. From the lowes website, it seems similar to the one in Gandre Mountain - shelves inside. So, that might work better.

If I was more skilled with tools - I'd just buy the cheaper one and make my own shelves. But how I picture it in my mind, and what the shelves will actually come out looking like are 2 different things :lol: - And, I don't really know anyone who would help me do this without charging.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, it doesn't matter now. My wife agreed to go look with me. We didn't even make it out of the neighborhood before it started... No "discussion".. No talking... No conversation between two people... - She just started talking AT me. She was mom and I was the child... Got 1/2 way to the store, and I just turned around and came back. What was the point.

She doesn't want me to have guns, and I don't think I should have to use a year's worth of birthday and Christmas presents to buy a safe. It's like a piece of furniture.

I suppose even if we disagreed - if we could have just had a normal conversation, I wouldn't be so

Now, she wants separate checking accounts and to split all the bills in 1/2. Geeze... I just wanted a damn gun safe.....

Oh well....

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well - compromise - after I reminded her of the $2k we spent on her dog and his damage to our yard.

I can get an allowance after the baby is born :shock:

I can get it in August - and just pay it off with the allowance.

Then, I can buy guns and pay them off with my allowance!

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Ship you are hillarious! :-D

She's what? 8 months pregnant? You aren't winning any fights for a long time! Your allowance is gonna be buying huggies!

TA

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Texas Armadillo said:
Ship you are hillarious! :-D

She's what? 8 months pregnant? You aren't winning any fights for a long time! Your allowance is gonna be buying huggies!

TA

Well, the deal is I only go shoot 1x a month - She spends a lot every month on Skype, calling her mom in China everyday.

Then, I get $50 allowance a month on top of that.

When I was married before, I used to get $30 a week allowance :? . Oh well. Anyway, back then, I would charge a gun, and pay it off over several months with my allowance.

So, I can do that again soon, after my wife returns to work after the baby (probably Aug).

As for the safe - I am still debating that or just get another lock - but I have a couple of months to think about it.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I like my handguns on a shelf - so, if no gun safe - I'll just buy another locking doorknob.

But, if I did buy the safe - I'd be paying for it with my "allowance" - hence, another reason to go with the door knob.

Besides, U guys say not to put the ammo in the safe - I wanted to clear off the shelves. So, if I shouldn't do that, then I'll probably just get the doorknob.

But yea - it is dropped until August.

But, I am satisfied that I don't have to wait thru 2 damn Christmases to buy stuff - As I go to work everyday too. I'm not asking to come home with a new gun a month - but 1 a year is fair.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's a fine balance to be sure, I am of the mind that buying a bigger safe than you currently need is like the movie Field of Dreams.
"If you build it, they will come." I have three safes and one large locker. My real challenge is ammo storage, I just bought a 40' cargo container to set up for storage, gun cleaning and reloading. I have so much in my office that if it ever caught on fire it would be like a Bruce Willis movie.

My wife and I have a don't ask don't tell policy. I ran out of excuses on why I need another gun a long time ago. She never believed me anyway.
If the bad guys ever do come, I will be vindicated. Right now it's just a midlife crisis.

Good luck, raising kids trumps about any logic other than putting meat on the table. :cool:

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
See, my wife wants me to sell them all.

There was a night, a couple of years back, when a lamp came on by itself in the next room, 10 min after we went to bed. It also made a click when it went on.

She sure as well was glad that I had my gun. And, she sat next to me while I kept the door covered. After a few min of nothing - I went out and looked in the living room. Figured out that the switch was left 1/2 way between on and off - and it must have clicked itself after a little while.

But that night - she was hella glad I had a gun. I remind her of that - Hopefully the day never comes when I ever need it.

If it does come - I will say "see, I told U so, " and then I will be at the gun store the next day - buying $10k of guns.... :x :x :x :x

·
Registered
395 Posts
Those $100 Homacks they sell at Wal Mart are not bad if you bolt them to the floor AND wall studs.

They have 2 locks on the door. Someone could get in em, but not without some work and a LOT of noise.

I used 2 of them for years until recently buying a safe by Treadlok. Same company that makes Onyx and Granite, and Winchester safes.

I got a 700lb 12-gun with 4 shelves on right side for $650 delivered!

Place called Buds in KY is a HUGE dealer and blows em out cheap!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts