FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a little help. The former posts on this subject matter have gotten me thus far, I just can't seem to get over the hump.

I am trying to reinstall the chopped barrel. I have all 3 springs in the receiver being held captive by a wooden dowel rod. I am attempting to slide

the barrel over the wooden dowel rod from back pushing the barrel forward through the receiver. The barrel gets about 3/4 of the way through the upper

receiver and appears to be getting stuck somewhere? Is there a specific reference to pay attention too while re-inserting the barrel? Are there notches,

rings, etc that need to be lined up in order for the barrel to slide through? Or, is brute force with a rubber mallet going to be the answer? Thanks in advance

you have reinstalled a chopped barrel into a PS90 before?

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Get rid of the wooden dowel and place the spring around the barrel. I don't know why people think it is difficult to do this without a wooden dowel. Just pay attention to how it comes apart and it should be no issue. I would guess you are binding up on the spring. It is a pretty large spring

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks - getting rid of the dowel helped but in reality the idea of the dowel is good- wasn't my issue. My dumb ass had the barrel return spring at the rear of the barrel and not located at the correct end of the barrel between the threads and the new flash hider. So, it was at the rear of the barrel and would not allow the barrel to slide forward.

There it was - right in the write up JHS did all along...not paying freaking attention and making things harder than it had to be! Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

Get rid of the wooden dowel and place the spring around the barrel. I don't know why people think it is difficult to do this without a wooden dowel. Just pay attention to how it comes apart and it should be no issue. I would guess you are binding up on the spring. It is a pretty large spring

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Thanks - getting rid of the dowel helped but in reality the idea of the dowel is good- wasn't my issue. My dumb ass had the barrel return spring at the rear of the barrel and not located at the correct end of the barrel between the threads and the new flash hider. So, it was at the rear of the barrel and would not allow the barrel to slide forward.

There it was - write in the write up JHS did all along...not paying freaking attention and making things harder than it had to be! Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.
I'm really trying to find someone to take care of this for me. However, assuming my eForm 1 gets approved, I may be stuck having to do this myself. Congrats on getting it done.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Honestly, if I could accomplish this, anyone can accomplish this. Go the form 1 route and I can help guide you but the write up JHS did on the PS90 barrel removal made it happen for me. Once you hacksaw the shroud an separate the barrel the rest is easy in terms of sending out the barrel to be cut, re-thread and have an adapter made. In hindsight had I not messed up the barrel return spring this would have taken 5 minutes and not 3hrs....-LOL! Do it, we will help you!!!

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
A dowel as a guide is not a bad thing.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I did not use a dowel either. I simply installed barrel 3/4 of the way and then fed the spring onto the barrel and then finished sliding barrel threw the receiver.

·
Registered
421 Posts

There it was - right in the write up JHS did all along...not paying freaking attention and making things harder than it had to be! Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.
Nice to know I am not the only knucklehead pretending to be a gunsmith..... :-D

Reactions: sldcountry
1 - 9 of 9 Posts