FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tested the original white or black Ringsights with headmount night Vision?

Right now my ultralight AR15 with a c-more (soon to be an eotech 556) sight has night duty, but I was wondering if there would be too much bloom with the FN ringsights.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ringsight =blackhole

I am fairly serious about making this concept work and tried the original p90white ringsight as well as the later ps90 white ring with a pvs-14 on a couple diferent custom mounts. What I saw seemed to work great -abeautiful retical floating in a full 40 deg unubstructed view. The sight body would just disapear. However I quickly realized while I could see the retical perfectly objects within the field of the ring sight were imposibly dim. The ring sight does not let much light through. For me the only reason the ring sight works so well at night having both eyes open a trick that doesn't work with single tube weapon mounted nods. Hope that info is helpful albeit not hopeful. It would for cqb but with no precision capabilty and literaly an inherent blindspot under the retical - I say just get a laser to complement headmounted gogles if this is an option

·
Registered
17 Posts
I did post some photos of Gen 2 and the USG sight in the photos sub-forum.

Thanks for the info about the PVS-14-- it would seem that the issues I ran into were not unique to Gen 2 technology. I do agree with you that an IR laser may be the best option.

However, I don't believe the sight is attenuating any significant amounts of light coming through it, I think the tritium vials are just too bright and are making the tube gain-down as a protective measure.

Here are some images illustrating this, taken indoors with approx. starlight-level illumination:

(30 second long exposure, F2.7, ISO400 -- note background through the sight is the same brightness as outside of the sight to the left)

(Gen 2 NVD without sight, note that you can recognize two humanoid figurines. They are obviously clearer to the eye than the camera as most NVD photography goes.)

(Same image but with the USG sight. Blooming is minimal. Nonetheless the image is darker but it's not just the center through the sight. The areas outside the sight are the same brightness level.)

·
Registered
142 Posts
I pulled my white ring sight out of the spare parts drawer and tested it with a GEN 3 PVS-14A in a completely dark room.

The tritium "T" sight was clearly visible through the NV device, but I was unable to see anything through the sight due to significant bloom and glow from the tritium vial at the bottom of the sight. This blooming obscures anything you might be able to see and precludes precision aiming.

I believe the ring sight has just too small an aperture to see through for effective night vision use.

My normal rig is an EoTech 552 and I am able to adjust it low enough to get a good clean ring and aiming dot as well as see targets through the sight window out to 100 yards, and further if I activate an IR illuminator (DBAL-A2). My laser pointer is co-witnessed with the EoTech dot at 100yds and allows me to selectively put the dot on a target if my head is in the sight, or just use the laser dot if necessary.

The factory ring sight just doesn't cut it in the dark.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
UltraFudd said:
I pulled my white ring sight out of the spare parts drawer and tested it with a GEN 3 PVS-14A in a completely dark room.

The tritium "T" sight was clearly visible through the NV device, but I was unable to see anything through the sight due to significant bloom and glow from the tritium vial at the bottom of the sight. This blooming obscures anything you might be able to see and precludes precision aiming.

I believe the ring sight has just too small an aperture to see through for effective night vision use.

My normal rig is an EoTech 552 and I am able to adjust it low enough to get a good clean ring and aiming dot as well as see targets through the sight window out to 100 yards, and further if I activate an IR illuminator (DBAL-A2). My laser pointer is co-witnessed with the EoTech dot at 100yds and allows me to selectively put the dot on a target if my head is in the sight, or just use the laser dot if necessary.

Interesting info!

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
UltraFudd said:

That's pretty good! Are you using a 3x or 5x magnifier?

·
Vendor
5,841 Posts
UltraFudd said:

Try putting a piece of electrical tape over the light collector well to block the tritium bar glow. I did notice this while developing the REM. (which plugs the well)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts