FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

New to the site, just picked up a PS90 for my girlfriend today. I already own a FA FN FNC, so I have experience with FN and usually no complaints on quality.

The Weapon -

Black, Standard Scoped, Used. 2nd Owner. About 100 rds through the pipe according to the previous owner.

Status - Clean, I have yet to test fire. I like to disassemble and mess with before actually firing a weapon.

Problem? - When actuating the bolt, if the bolt is not allowed to 100% slam forward, if its ridden at all, it will stay in an open / stuck posistion. Chambers rounds fine if the bolt is allowed to slam, but I was curious if this was a standard thing with this model of weapon, or something that might be a problem. While I try not to ride the bolt forward on any automatic, it sometimes happens and I wont be the only one shooting this weapon (especially cause its not gonna be mine...). Also the bolt, when atempting to remove it during disassembly, doesnt drop free easily.

Comments? Suggestions? Experience prefered...

-E

·
Registered
569 Posts
After reading your post I opened the gunsafe and tried one of my PS90's that's had a couple of thousand rds through it and my son's new PS90 w/maybe 100+ rds through it. Every single time, no matter how slowly I let the bolt go forward, it went all the way into battery on both PS90's. The only thing that immediately crosses my mind as a possible cause is that the original owner didn't remove all the storage lubricant before firing and this can cause malfunctions. Try thoroughly cleaning/lubing the PS90 as per the manual then try again. It's also possible that it's not past the 200rd break-in suggested for the PS90. Are there any unsual wear areas on the bolt or inside the stock? Anywho, HTH, keep us posted!...
Tomac

·
Registered
214 Posts
Make sure the weapon is properly lubricated. The area in question is where the bolt slides over the hammer. Make sure it's lubed up and the dust cover is not closed.

I can't say I've EVER had the bolt stick open unless the dust cover was closed. Even after a lot use with the silencer, the gun still functions, even when slowly letting the bolt close.

You didn't disclose if this is only when attempting to chamber a round, or not.

On a side note, the gun isn't really meant to have the bolt slowly closed (not sure of any that are). You won't experience any issues when firing the gun, and I caution against continually cycling rounds through the gun. You'll eventually get set back w/ the rounds, and the cases can get chewed up in the process too. Oh, and it's a little dangerous to just be cycling rounds though the gun -- no need for a potential ND!

·
Registered
112 Posts
i was having a problem reassembling my ps90 once and once it was together the bolt would stick open. the problem was the rods that ride down the inner stock in channels, one had come out of the channel and wasn't seated properly and was grabbing the bolt assembly. i havent had the problem since.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appreciate the tips, will look into the issue and get back to you. As to cycleing constantly, isnt a habit of mine, but I do like to safely cycle a few rounds without firing to test ejectors and extractors. I do take all reasonable precautions as possible.

As to why I was closing it slowly, wanted to see how it did handle it. Again something I try *not* to do, but like to know what will happen if I did.

When I noticed this was without chambering any rounds, with the mag out watching the action cycle.

-E

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dust cover pops open when the bolt moves back a little from the closed position, nice and clean. Isnt the issue.

Will clean it tonight and see how it works.

-E

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, update time.

Cleaned and lubed the moving parts group. Wiped any clear excesses off so that there would be no drips into the trigger pack.

With the barrel assembly off, holding the rifle normally, if one tilts the rifle from side to side the moving parts group will audibly and visibly shift, there is about 1-2mm of play. A dime can fit on either side of the bolt, and then it doesnt shift (I did remove the dimes...). With the barrel assy put back on, the bolt does not shift from side to side. On the right hand side there is now no longer *quite* enough room for a dime. Otherside will pass one however. So I assume (hopefully not a stupid decision) that this play is normal until the barrel assy is reassembled, as it does autoalign when its installed.

So. The weapon still will hang, sometimes indeffintly, when slowly letting off the cocking handle and riding it forward. However it will only *stick* when the weapon is pointed skyward. If held level or preferably at a slightly downward angle, the bolt has a slight hesitation, but continues forward.

Thoughts?

Hope I am describing this well, could probably scrounge a camera somewhere around here and take some video.

-E

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have two ps90's one that i have fired and the other is nib and neither one presents the problem you have described.

I agree with shipwreck (as long as you feel its safe) go and fire it and see if it functions, it may need a little more breaking in, also if the 1st owner only fired 100 rounds he may not have known what he was doing when he cleaned it and put it back together, definitely read the owner's manual a few times and see if that helps.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
If the previous owner velcro-ed the mag well make sure there is no extra velcro impeeding the bolt. Just something to look for. But I would say get a few more hundred round through her and so will most likely break in

·
Registered
49 Posts
Best I can say is lightly lube the guide rods and shoot a magazine or two through it. Clean it thoroughly and see if the problem continues. Mine doesn't have any hesitation when I ride the bolt forward. Isn't there a safety device or something that could be hanging up the bolt...?

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Mine doesnt hesitate at all either...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No function issues on shooting, will have some pics and video avalible once I get them off the camera used that day.

Seems to have cleared up, time will tell, but as long as it functions I doubt it will be a major issue.

-E

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Do keep us posted! :?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts