FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellahs my charging handles keep coming off. I have the aftermarket MKS handles mount on top of the OEM. The screws are torqued more than I am willing to torque them. When rack the handle back a few times whichever handle I am not using to charge flys off. I know I am missing something stupid here. Please fill me in. By the way when I say handle I mean the whole assembly both MKS and OEM come off.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Reactions: SONYtec and LESTER

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
I had the same problem with my FSE charging handles. I played around with torque and finally got them to stay put.

I will add I do have a second charging handle assembly on stand by in case the problem arises again.

Reactions: LESTER

·
Premium Member
21,737 Posts
That's one reason my SBR stays pretty much stock.

Reactions: LESTER and Milspec

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
The only other suggestion I have, and this is where I was going with mine, would be a couple drops of glue carefully applied inside the factory handle.

Reactions: KameronTKelly

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Kam did you use the plastic insert that came with the MKS handles? You might try turning it over and putting the other side face up and see if it snugs up any tighter?

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Kam,
I have had that happen and not sure why other than my excessive testing. Send them back I will send you out a new set and will have the TS thicken up the delrin spacer ( custom for you by about .005
I did have 1 customer use rtv /silicone to secure, that way if you want to remove the MK ECH.... OEM's just clean up nicely. The original concept was to be able to remove them and always go back to stock charging handles. Once you pull the OEM snap CH off accidentally or not.... they are shot since the locking boss design feature from FN doesn't lend itself to repeated installs.
I will warranty those also and get you a new set, please PM me, I'm a little busy testing a new release & trying to get 1st part approval....in addition to snowmobiling the maximum amount possible ...

Ride On !!!!!

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kam,
I have had that happen and not sure why other than my excessive testing. Send them back I will send you out a new set and will have the TS thicken up the delrin spacer ( custom for you by about .005
I did have 1 customer use rtv /silicone to secure, that way if you want to remove the MK ECH.... OEM's just clean up nicely. The original concept was to be able to remove them and always go back to stock charging handles. Once you pull the OEM snap CH off accidentally or not.... they are shot since the locking boss design feature from FN doesn't lend itself to repeated installs.
I will warranty those also and get you a new set, please PM me, I'm a little busy testing a new release & trying to get 1st part approval....in addition to snowmobiling the maximum amount possible ...

Ride On !!!!!
Thanks MJk! As always thanks for the outstanding CS. This Is certainly an issue with the OEM handles design. It wasn't meant to hold that added weight I guess. If the nipple was a little more promenent it wouldn't allow the handle to come off. Any who I will shoot you a PM.

Folks this is CS. Take note AAC clowns!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Kam,

Ride On !!!!!
Thanks MJk! As always thanks for the outstanding CS. This Is certainly an issue with the OEM handles design. It wasn't meant to hold that added weight I guess. If the nipple was a little more promenent it wouldn't allow the handle to come off. Any who I will shoot you a PM.

Folks this is CS. Take note AAC clowns!
Agreed. This is CS as its best and what all other companies should be striving for.

Props to Man Kave for stepping up and remedying a problem with a simple but very effective solution which satisfies all parties with little loss in cost

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
I haven't had an issue with the original FSE delrin one's. Having to use 10 round mag's, I use the charging handle's a lot.

Bizarre.

Could you post up a picture of the metal charge plate, in the area of where the factory charging handle goes??? Would like to see the indent they put on it at the factory.

It is possible that it isn't out far enough to have a good hold on the handle, but I doubt it. Picture's will tell all.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Sony has a good point,( Thanks Sony )
Kam I would like to see everything, OEM's included if you can do that ? You can always return them for refund or credit if your not happy. I would do that also.
I want to state that this is very unusual, I only had 1 other contact regarding something similar...I believe the customer may have over tightened them originally.... there is a fine line but ... honestly I have never seen that senario be presented to me yet. They have been in circulation for almost 2 years and at this point several companies sell them.
I even use them on my test weapon which has to have 10k + through it...

With that said , I would like to reiterate that once the OEM charging handle comes lose for what ever reason the remedy is to get a new set. If they continue to fail then it may be some technical anomaly that I can't explain. ( At this point ) A picture tells a thousand words ( hint ) stands true in this case. If there was a die tooling crash in manufacturing which stamps out the cocking handle assembly and then the die punch was fixed or repaired thus leading to a reduced protrusion/ indentation ( aka... boss ) in the cocking handle assembly ??? it wouldn't be the 1st time something like that happened... in manufacturing. Unfortunately that part can't be ordered from FN ... according to the info I have. My bet is on the OEM CH being worn thus letting the momentum & forces dislodge the MK ECH & FN CH . Maybe a new set will help ? Those " Bosses " in the stamping should have the capability to hold everything in place.

Wish I could say more but if there is a problem ... and you can't use them ? ( Your covered here @ MKS ).

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm sure I over tightened them. Probably deformed the original plastic past the point of no return. I did several modifications to several platforms that night and I missed the the part about not torquing them too much. I might just need a new set of OEMs to remedy this. Are those hard to come by?

Reactions: SAVAGEJIM

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks fellahs. I don't want MJK to cover costs when it was a combination of me and the OEM handles at fault.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts