FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone caught wind of any "rumor" that FNH is planning to halt civilian PS90 sales?. Please don't bother to 'flame me out' on this question, just ran into a couple comments on GB /blogs questioning this issue. Not sure if it is just jitters from the FSK2000 civilian sales discontinuation. I am a new FFL holder, plan on calling FNH tomorrow FWIW and will give your their opinion on this topic,and for my own information, if the FS2K is still under production for military contracts. Any respectfull discussion would be appreciated,TYIA, John K

·
Registered
317 Posts
Let us know what FNH says or better yet if they can provide in writing if they do intend to stop sales to civilians and the reason.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Has anyone caught wind of any "rumor" that FNH is planning to halt civilian PS90 sales?. Please don't bother to 'flame me out' on this question, just ran into a couple comments on GB /blogs questioning this issue. Not sure if it is just jitters from the FSK2000 civilian sales discontinuation. I am a new FFL holder, plan on calling FNH tomorrow FWIW and will give your their opinion on this topic,and for my own information, if the FS2K is still under production for military contracts. Any respectfull discussion would be appreciated,TYIA, John K
This rumor comes up fairly regularly.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
John I too think it's rumors. They seem to be plentiful and steady and they have been around a long time.

In other news congrats to your son and his unbelievable accomplishment in the pool-AWESOME!

·
Registered
42 Posts
It would be an odd move considering the purpose of the PS90 was for civilian sales. As for any rumors... 190th Rule of Acquisition; Hear all, trust nothing.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Probably a rumor. However, I ordered a spare hammer pack from FN-Browning a month ago and the CSR told me they are on backorder and have no idea when they would be in stock.

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
You really should think before you post. :p

Reactions: Talhoffer

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
The rumor mill is a common practice used by unethical sellers to move products faster and at higher prices! The FS2000 production suspension is purely based on sales projections in a U.S. market flooded with 5.56 offerings. Last I checked, the only quality 5.7x28 platforms are made by FNH; furthermore, with the release of the MKII and growing popularity of the cartridge in civilian circles, it is safe to say that the demise of the PS90 is absurd.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
To be honest, I'm surprised that no one has came out with a Clone yet. Considering what FN is charging for a relatively simple blow back weapon they have to be laughing all the way to the bank.

If FN was stupid enough to discontinue it, I'm quite sure that within a year there would be a knock off out there.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
To be honest, I'm surprised that no one has came out with a Clone yet. Considering what FN is charging for a relatively simple blow back weapon they have to be laughing all the way to the bank.

If FN was stupid enough to discontinue it, I'm quite sure that within a year there would be a knock off out there.
I paid $1200 for a PS90 and $900 for a USG, It does not seem over priced to me! The Master Piece Arms carbine 5.7 goes for $700 and their pistol goes for $500, Now that's an expensive price tag for a low quality design, material's, and QC. It may operate on a simple bow back system, but FNH engineers' their products to withstand the rigors of professional use. In addition, FNH's R&D department is focused on innovation, not the run of the mill cosmetic alterations that have become the norm in the firearm industry. I love my basic SIG,s: p220, p226, p239, and 556R, But for God's sake, the new line-up is now the equivalent of a woman's shoe store! Certainly I like to save money like the rest, as long as the quality is not adversely compromised for cost savings.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I paid $1200 for a PS90 and $900 for a USG, It does not seem over priced to me! The Master Piece Arms carbine 5.7 goes for $700 and their pistol goes for $500, Now that's an expensive price tag for a low quality design, material's, and QC. It may operate on a simple bow back system, but FNH engineers' their products to withstand the rigors of professional use. In addition, FNH's R&D department is focused on innovation, not the run of the mill cosmetic alterations that have become the norm in the firearm industry. I love my basic SIG,s: p220, p226, p239, and 556R, But for God's sake, the new line-up is now the equivalent of a woman's shoe store! Certainly I like to save money like the rest, as long as the quality is not adversely compromised for cost savings.
I too paid $1200 for a PS90, and then lucked into a deal that let me put a USG sight on it relatively inexpensively for $200. The platform intrigued me and I understood what I was getting into beforehand. The elegance of design impresses me immensely. But I do confess to holding the opinion that FN is laughing all the way to the bank with this one. It's just not that complex a manufacturing feat to turn out such an item of few parts and plastic sub-assemblies. (Or at least I'm very skeptical that it is.) Never-the-less, I was happy to cough up the money to own one. Consider it my back-handed compliment to FN. Now I am faced with the difficult decision of what pair of SIGs to get next to go with the p232 and p229 I recently got. (Does this Sig make my butt look big?) ;)

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Compare the PS90 to the complexity and techniques required to manufacture an AR-15. A PS90 trigger group is entirely molded plastic, the stock is a two piece molding, the receiver is a ROUGH casting. CNC the bolt, contract out the barrel to a barrel manufacturer.

After recovering tooling costs, the cost to produce should be no more than $400.00

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Compare the PS90 to the complexity and techniques required to manufacture an AR-15. A PS90 trigger group is entirely molded plastic, the stock is a one piece molding, the receiver is a ROUGH casting. CNC the bolt, contract out the barrel to a barrel manufacturer.

After recovering tooling costs, the cost to produce should be no more than $400.00
I'm not an expert in the industry, but I'm sure the import duties from Belgium, the currency differential from Euro to dollar, and the expenses of reconfiguration state side for 922r compliance are a driving factor in price. Also, the overhead for a multinational corporation is considerably higher then a small business. Finally, FNH stands behind their products 100%, even a bad magazine gets replaced. Their CS may be slow, but they take care of their costumers. It's a fact that FNH even offers a discounted replacement price for products damaged with out defect. All in all, I am satisfied 100%, and will continue to purchase FNH products without regret or apprehension. If its good enough for "operators operating in operations" then it will serve my purpose well enough.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I'm not an expert in the industry, but I'm sure the import duties from Belgium, the currency differential from Euro to dollar, and the expenses of reconfiguration state side for 922r compliance are a driving factor in price. Also, the overhead for a multinational corporation is considerably higher then a small business. Finally, FNH stands behind their products 100%, even a bad magazine gets replaced. Their CS may be slow, but they take care of their costumers. It's a fact that FNH even offers a discounted replacement price for products damaged with out defect. All in all, I am satisfied 100%, and will continue to purchase FNH products without regret or apprehension. If its good enough for "operators operating in operations" then it will serve my purpose well enough.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my PS90. But the FACTS are they are raping us on price, if they can sell it to Law Enforcement for $799.00 (what I paid), are you telling me there was no profit? I guarantee you that OMB Guns made money and FN made money.

I would not be surprised for one of the 9,000 AR manufacturers to see that this is an wide open market. Almost no competition.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my PS90. But the FACTS are they are raping us on price, if they can sell it to Law Enforcement for $799.00 (what I paid), are you telling me there was no profit? I guarantee you that OMB Guns made money and FN made money.

I would not be surprised for one of the 9,000 AR manufacturers to see that this is an wide open market. Almost no competition.
$799 is a hell of a deal, Did yours come with SS factory optic? I understand you logic, and also hope other quality manufactures get into the 57 market. The 57 AR uppers don't interest me, but a compact pistol for discrete CCW would be on my short list.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
I love retail....I'll manufacture the product, charge whatever I want & if you don't like the price you don't have to buy it! I deal with this all day long and day after day with the retail real estate landlords. They, often much like the consumer try and claim they know my business better than me. They read the annual report, see the gross margin & the operating margin, watch sales climb, market share grow and then magically they say we are making too much damn money and need to pay more rent.

I always laugh. The question-am I not allowed to make money as a retailer or wholesaler? Because anything more than that is laughable. If you don't like my rent deal it's no problem, there are 3 other malls, two more lifestyle centers and a good fashion street in most markets & guess what - one of those LL's will love my rent deal. If the product is solid and the market is captured correctly then the flexibility of the business is completely leveraged to succeed!

It's no different on the consumer side, really; again if you don't like the price then don't buy but in this case we have no other option for the platform than FNH. So, I'm happy to let them profit from my purchase-I want to keep feeding the beast. I want more R&D, I want more great weapons platforms, I want innovation and I'm happy to help to pay to get it. After all, Mom always said you get what you pay for! With FN I get my $$$'s worth every time-call me crazy!

·
Vendor
3,284 Posts
I thought I heard thru the " gossip vine " that this latest rumor originated from a " Glock " forum . Kind of interesting due to a Glock being 1 of the only other hi-cap weapons around . ( albiet Kris Vector w/ Glock mags ) Well there may be a few others but please dont jump on me since I only primarily frequent FN Forums for my info !
As for me I like the rumor I picked up on better 1`/2 way thru last year which was.... " FN to release 500 PS90's to consumers " . That did seem to happen however I can't reveal the source ! ( He is a big gossip monger ).
Just my .02
I guess I won't have to worry about the end of MKS anytime soon.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts