FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are these fake cans that are around worth buying? Like the Gemtech one I see on GB? I don't want to mess with SBRing and then spend more on a real can with no subsonic ammo around.

So do the fake ones hold up, shoot loose, change POI, cleaning problems or any other issues? It looks like you have the real deal on your gun by the pictures I've seen.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I haven't used a fake can but I have read in this forum that they get alot of gunk in them and must be taken off and cleaned after every trip to the range. I almost bought one, then I came across the barrel shroud by Moerse Lekker one of our forum sponsors. It looks better than a fake can, and cost less than half the price. Check it out!

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Yes- IF you are going to get 1 - that would be the one. The way he has the holes on it done - it is less likely to get dirty inside (from the flash hider). The other ones will be very tough to get off after shooting because of the stuff that comes out of the flashhider.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the Gemtech on mine and I really like the looks of it and it completely eliminates any muzzle flash . Although I have not tried to take it off yet :D But have not really seen a reason to. My bore snake runs right down the barrel with it in place

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I think U may have some issues getting it off if U've fired a lot of rounds thru it - I hear that if U have one - shoot the 197. The 195 is much dirtier...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rspaulding said:
I have the Gemtech on mine and I really like the looks of it and it completely eliminates any muzzle flash . Although I have not tried to take it off yet :D But have not really seen a reason to. My bore snake runs right down the barrel with it in place

Hey that looks really nice! That is my exact setup too..I even have that light!

Is it muzzel heavy? does it suppress any of the sound that you noticed?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ShipWreck said:
Muzzel said:
Is it muzzel heavy? does it suppress any of the sound that you noticed?
That's a fake can... just for show...
Yeah I know...but sometimes you change the pitch of the blast when you cover things up.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Although it is a fake can it does seem to be a little quieter to the shooter although the sound is still there it is just all directed out the front and away from you. It is still very loud though so it in no way can be shot without hearing protection or anything.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well....I bought one and I really like it! keeps the gun nice and steady as well as balanced,, looks good. Shot about 125 rounds of 195 through it with great accuracy. The can is stuck on now and did not want to come off just by turning and pulling on it, so I did not mess with it anymore. Just used a bore snake and that was that. I agree there is no reason to remove it in the typical fashion I can see unless you no longer want on the unit on the barrel.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
I do agree with you that it balances out the '90. I couldnt imagine personally not having one on mine...
:?

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Agreed, i have a different fake can and mine is rather easy to take off.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well I took my fake Gemtech off today and gave the PS90 a good bath. It did take a little persuasion to get the can off but it was not all that bad. Now if I had of let it go much further it may have even been worser I am sure.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Yea i did that recently as well. There was some residue but I was able to make her all nice n' purty and happy :)

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Ehhh CLP again :roll: One thing I did like about it was that it didn't seem to have much of an odor, but hell I'd rather get a buzz while cleaning LOL :p

·
Registered
125 Posts
One thing I was wondering about the residue built up. I know most of you that have the fake can dont really worry about the build up as you most likely will never take it off, which makes sense. I'd do the same if it were me. But lets say 5 years and 5,000 rounds later, there is so much residue that the heat generated from the barrel causes the residue to catch fire maybe? I don't know how possible that is, but with a plastic lower, it might be worth considering taking it off everyonce in a while for safety. Just thought I'd mention the possibility.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok...I tried again just to see if I could get it off and with a litttle more effort it came off and I cleaned it real nice. Now I have to say those cans are made very well! solid Mfg. job. I took the spring out too and WD40 it put it back together and ready for the next time.

I can't think that it could ever catch fire from residue though.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I know some people here leave it on, but take it off during shooting. Maybe that is 1 idea - or lube the hell out of the barrel before going.

The barrel sleeve sold by 1 sponsor here has more holes in it - and would probably eliminate some of this problem.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts