FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to keep a rifle in my vehicle. In the summer here, it probably can hit 160F+ in the summer time.

I have a PS90 I was thinking of keeping in there fulltime. I know the rifle can take it - but what about the factory optic? I don't know a whole lot about its construction. I assume there is no glues or adhesives inside that might have issues with those temperatures?

I have enough money to go buy a S&W AR15 Sport and a cheap primary arms red dot. Or, I could buy a shotgun - but unless I put slugs in it, my max range is what - maybe 35-50 yards?

I worry about leaving a high end priced gun like the PS90 inside the vehicle too. An M&P Sport is like $600, and a shotgun less. However, I will admit to preferring to keep the $650 I currently have in my pocket for something else down the road, and just keep the PS90 in the car.

What do you guys think? As long as I periodically oil it, I shouldn't have to worry too much about rust, I would think. The barrel is chrome lined.

I have known guys who had shotguns in their car for a couple of years, and then they developed so much rust that they couldn't open the cover of the tube where the shells sit.

I've thought of other options... Had a CX4 years ago -don't really want another. The folding Keltec 9mm and 223 rifles aren't known for being the best. And, other options start surpassing that $600 I can get that M&P Sport for...

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
As a rule of thumb, I would always recommend leaving a S&W M&P15 Sport in a vehicle instead of a PS90 just if for no other reason than the vehicle not being a very secure place to keep a firearm.
Yeah just ask the NY Trooper, FBI and ATF when you leave your firearm in your car.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hey Ship. I'm with these guys. Cars are not very secure to begin with. I'd only leave a rifle/carbine/shotgun in a car all the time if I had a decent way of securing it. There are systems that you can install in vehicles that can do this.

I carry a long gun with me. But only on long trips out of town. But if I were too have a secured rifle/long arm in my car at all time. I'd go for something cheaper, but still good quality and reliable. Either the S&W Sport you mentioned, or (for example) a Zastava AK (not made by Century if that matters). Or a Century made vz. 58 from Aim for $500 (come with extra mags, etc) (Yes it's made by Century, but it's generally very good considering Century made it.) Or go and buy a good quality, but cheap shotgun from CZ or whoever (there are many) that sell the Turkish made shotguns. A shotgun ain't a rifle. But it's a big step up from a handgun.

Guns have survived sitting in vehicles in Iraq and Afghanistan the last decade plus. But if you know guys that have had rust issues in TX. You definitely need to give a good wipe down every so often. Or you could try something like Eezox on it. You've heard of that right. ;)

All that being said. Removing the long gun from you car after each day may inhibit some rust/humidity/environmental issues.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
The Florida Heat and humidity had no ill effects on my FS2000 that I kept in the trunk for years. I never left it overnight, and kept a coating of Sentry Solutions Marine Tuf Glide on it! Since the production halt, I switched to the SIG 556R! Just make sure your vehicle is alarmed and disconnect the interior trunk latch. Home owners insurance usually covers firearm theft anywhere, including vehicles, so check your policy. I carry a handgun CCW but have always kept a rifle or shotgun in relative proximity. Nothing wrong with being prepared! The Elite Survival discreet carry case works like a charm and East German AK47 Magazines fit in the PS90 designated pouches. The Wife still pokes fun at the man purse though.:-D
DSCN2737.JPG DSCN2736.JPG DSCN2733.JPG DSCN2732.JPG DSCN2650_zpsb9a34113.jpg

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did entertain the idea that a mag dump from my M&P 15-22 with low recall could give someone a bad day. But, I hate to rely on a simple 22. Maybe up close - like down a hallway, it would be okay because you could really unload a lot of rounds. But at longer distances, I would feel undergunned, I think... On the flip side, I already have it and it is only worth about $450 with the add ons, plus the optic...

But, it's just a 22...

What do you guys think?

I guess I know the answer already - same as I would tell someone else. 22 is too small of a round. It's likely that suck a vehicle gun wuld never be used and would just sit there... So, I'm weighing my options over spending more money....

·
Registered
40 Posts
On the contrary, I think that a 22 could be an effective self defense firearm. Any gun is better than none(obviously) however the effectiveness of 22lr on class 4 body armor draws some attention, not to mention a mag of that is ridiculously light, and as my trapping partner skinny puts it "a hole in the head is a hole in the head"

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Go cheap!... That $400 AR is pretty appealing, and mount a light on it.

I have a sub-2000 in .40 with a light mounted on it for a truck gun. Bought/traded for it cheap, it has been rained on and rusted in spots. It folds down small and was cheap and shoots good. Would love to leave the PS90 in there, but it would be costly to replace if stolen / damaged, and I don't want to have to worry about crossing state lines.

I had a surprise camping trip in bear country not long ago and it sure was nice to have a rifle of some kind with a light on it, even if it was only a .40; It was not an emergency or anything but it was still a bit of an eye opener. Normally I'd have my pick of guns for whatever adventure I'm planning on embarking on. But when you can't "run by the house" it's sure nice to have rifle in the car ... and I was very thankful it had a light on it and a sling. Under cover of trees there was little moon light, and holding a flashlight and aiming a rifle is very awkward.

A shotgun would be good choice IMO. I don't think the range would bother me, but I would feel under gunned with a .22 against an angry animal or junky.

Reactions: ShipWreck

·
Vendor
3,284 Posts
How about 1 of these....
Just as many have mentioned above , and better yet a " pistol AR " always suffers on the retail end for the seller.... so I bet they can be had for a relatively cheap price.
Surprisingly enough without the T1... I have shot down to 200 with my bad eyes using BU sites.
JIMO
MISB 003.jpg

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I have a friend who owns a gunshop who can get me an M&P Sport for $589, if I want. When I change the grip to a magpul grip, and a magpul forend, I'm looking at probably $650 or so. Then I still gotta get some kinda optic... However, I don't really care for the fixed front sight, and I've never been a big DI fan. Although, this will admittedly be a gun I rarely will use.

Butfor $650, I could buy a CX4 Storm. Not DI, and nothing I gotta do to it but get an optic... Now, I had one years ago, and the crappy trigger kept me from shooting groups at 50 yards that I can get with my PS90. However - I think that for a car gun - group sizes don't matter that much. Who cares if my groups are 3-4" at 50 yards compared to the 1/2" groups I can get with the PS90 at 50 yards

Shotguns have been suggested to me too - but I am not a real shotgun fan. I've owned them before, but I prefer rifles. But, this is the cheapest option

Part of me just wants to hold onto the $630 or so I currently have and take my chances... Keeping the PS90 in there.

Not gonna keep the SCAR in there - with Optics, that is way too expensive

And, as mentioned before - the crazy thought of just throwing my M&P 15-22 in the back started to occur to me last night. Maybe put some minimag HPs in it instead.

I've decided to go spend some time at my local gun shops today to help me decide.

·
Vendor
5,623 Posts
Hey Ship! AKs are cheap in price and the 7.62x39 is a hell of a round ( and cheap) to penetrate car bodies if need be. Pick one with a folding stock so it is easier to maneuver inside the vehicle. Or better yet get an AK pistol!!! 30 rd mag an lots of bang for the buck. No need to add optics or anything else. Cheap and ready to scare the crap out of anyone who is looking at the wrong end of the barrel! :x

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Ship! AKs are cheap in price and the 7.62x39 is a hell of a round ( and cheap) to penetrate car bodies if need be. Pick one with a folding stock so it is easier to maneuver inside the vehicle. Or better yet get an AK pistol!!! 30 rd mag an lots of bang for the buck. No need to add optics or anything else. Cheap and ready to scare the crap out of anyone who is looking at the wrong end of the barrel! :x
Someone else suggest that to me. I'm not really a big open sight fan. And, I would have to stock another caliber. But, something to consider...

·
Registered
703 Posts
The M&P 15 sport is a light firearm and it handles well. Maybe a little longer than you want in the vehicle though for easy handling.
You don't need the Magpul grip and handguard if you are looking at building the added extra expense into the equation.

The Beretta CX4 Storm looks like a pretty good choice for a pistol caliber carbine.

What about that AR Pistol that was suggested? Could you imagine if you build one in 6.8 SPC II the firepower it would have?

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I decided on the CX4. I went and handled an M&P Sport and a CX4. I once had a CX4 years ago too. But, the size is perfect.

I did consider a 223 pistol. I've heard that they are loud as hell and have a lot of flash. Also read that you really need a sling setup to steady it.

But, I am gonna get the CX4

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
204 Posts
What if you used a Coleman cooler and put your gun in that? Wouldn't that help with the heat issue? I am not saying have some ice in there, just the fact of having it in the cooler should reduce heat? What do you think? At least it would be better for the ammo.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would think that this would increase moisture with the seal (ice chest being closed). Kinda like storing it in foam. Good concept, but I would suspect you would introduce other issues.

The CX4 is a bit different than an AR. I think if I reoil the internals 1x a week, I should be good. Only issue will be how the $100 red dot stands up to the heat over time. I think I'm gonna buy a bushnell trs-25

1 - 20 of 34 Posts