FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a ps90 with standard optics. Can I add to this system? I opted not to go with the triple rail system, did I severly limit myself?

·
Registered
31 Posts
That seems like a question you can only answer yourself. If you are willing to replace the stock sight with an aftermarket rail system then you have not limited yourself. If you aren't willing to put a little work into it......(dramatic pause)..... you have limited yourself.

What do you want it to be? have? look like?

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
U can buy aftermarket side rails and an optic rail - and make your own tri rail.

There are many brands of rails that will work.

MPF Tech and Critical Dimension's are two sponsors here that ell them (CT doesn't have a website, but click on his subforum here and see his products)

·
Registered
569 Posts
It's very easy to remove the factory ringsight & replace it w/an optics rail, all you do is remove 2 screws. There are a number of optics rail options, I opted for the MagazineParts.com rail because my aging eyes can't handle the crude PS90 BUIS and the groove down the middle of the MP rail was perfect for adding my own fiber optic BUIS (see pic). Once you have an optics rail installed you're free to use an Aimpoint, Eotech, C-More or pretty much any other rail-mounted optic you want (I use the new Aimpoint CompM4, see 2nd pic). TROSUSA makes a custom PS90 mount for the Aimpoint M2/M3 series that places the optic extremely low, almost as low as the factory ringsight if that's important to you. The only real downside to using an optics rail is that mounted optics sit much higher than the factory ringsight so you end up w/chinweld instead of cheekweld. I use a dual mag clamp setup (also from MagazineParts) that provides excellent cheekweld when using raised optics like the Eotech or Aimpoint. HTH, keep us posted!...
Tomac

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
I you like profile and looks of the stock sight but are having problems seeing the reticle, you can always upgrade to a USG sight(USSS Black Reticle Sight).
It has a metal housing, brighter tritium bars, and retains the stock looks of a PS90.
You can find them for $400 if you look around.

·
Vendor
5,599 Posts
I don't want to hijack this thread but since you are asking about options for your optic.
The REM (Reticle Enhancement Module) is almost ready for sale. I should have the Prototype sometime next week to test out and if all goes well I will be taking orders in about 2 weeks.

here is a 3D CAD drawing. It fits in the sling well under the Ring Sight.
It has 11 illumination settings. The Price will be $69.00

Shot at 2007-08-09

Shot at 2007-08-09

Shot with hp 635 Digital Camera at 2007-08-09

I will set up an advertisment once the REM is ready.

Chris

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
Great! I'll have to pick one up when they are available M1P90.
Even though I still haven't used the last one I got from you :D
I still want it though. :idea:

·
Vendor
5,599 Posts
None I believe. The USSS sight is a black cross hair and is not illuminated.
I don't have one so I have not experimented with it.
The REM puts light in the rear light collector of the White Ring Sight so you can see the T bar. It fixes the poor sight picture in low light conditions.

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
andygold said:
What effect if any, would the REM have on the USSS sight?
If the REM2 works the same as the REM1 thne it will just light up the T bar as stated. I tested it on my USG and thats all the REM1 did.

Not sure how the REM2 would mount on a USG sight.
Just guessing from the CAD pics, I am assuming it mounts onto the top lip of the standard sight? Since the USG sight doesn't have the lips, I really don't know. Maybe M1P90 can chime in? :)

·
Vendor
5,599 Posts
I don't have the Prototype yet but here is how it is supposed to work.

It will fit in the Sling holder area that is just under the Ring Sight. It comes apart in the middle so you can slide the big part in one side of the well then slide the other part on the other side. Put the screws back in to hold it together and it will not slide out of the sling holder area. You can put the Rheostat on either the left or right side of the well depending on how you like it. (ambidextrous)
The wire comes out the top and has the LED at the end of it so the LED will fit in the rear light collector well. The LED and its housing will block any natural light from going into the rear light collector.(The rear collector didn't work all that good with natural light anyway)
Now you have the option of switching on the REM to 11 different brightness settings whenever you need it. :shock:

·
Vendor
5,599 Posts
Hey tqtran.
Does the REM light up the T bar on your Black Reticle sight? I have not worked with that sight. And... Does the Black Reticle sight really NEED to have the REM?
I built the REM to fix the weakness of the White Ring Sight. I figured people would buy a $69.00 REM to fix the sight instead of paying $400.00 to replace it.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
It should become the color of the light - so red. I played around with an LED briefly before I put my Eotech on mine.

·
Vendor
5,599 Posts
Actually the LED on the New REM will be an Amder color. It is 20% brighter then the red and 30% brighter then the green and the battery lasts longer. In the test we did the light went for 106 hours of CONTINIOUS use untill dead. You could see at 72 hours a noticeable dimming. I am STILL on the same batteries I started with last year on the REM 1. I use them for about 15 min at a time then turn the light off for a few minutes while I reload and then on again for the next round of fireing. The light is still bright as ever.

I'm sure once production is in full swing we can offer any color LED you want.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
So, even on a regularly lit day outside, would this still give a slight advantage by making the rings brighter and more noticable (and colored), or is it ONLY something for low light.

·
Vendor
5,599 Posts
Where I shoot there is a roof over the shooting area. So the "White Dohnut" sight picture (front light collector) is not as bright as if I was out in the open. I turn on the"red" REM and that illuminates the T-bar. (rear light collector). Now I get 2 sight pictures. :D (one white, one red) It really helps in aiming when you are shooting at a white or light colored background.
So the answer is ... YES. You can see it in the daylight.

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
M1P90 said:
Does the REM light up the T bar on your Black Reticle sight?
Yes just the T bar only.

M1P90 said:
Does the Black Reticle sight really NEED to have the REM?
NO, The black reticle is great. I only put it on just to see what it would do.
Only because I can :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts