FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got off the phone with an ATF agent today (from NFA branch). I asked if I SBR my PS90 with new parts and kept my original 16+ inch complete barrel assembly if I would be able to switch back and forth. He said no problem!! It is like changing an AR upper, he said. I have seen threads here suggesting that it would be necessary to unregister it each time you changed back and forth and he told me that was NOT the case. Just information for fellow forum users.

Thanks

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Yes - U can swop back and forth. However - wasn't the issue was if people wanted to PERMANENTLY switch it back to a 16" barrel and try to get out from under the NFA restrictions....

I think if U plan to swop back and forth - it's easier to buy a 2nd receiver. Have 1 short barrel and 1 original length. And, just share the 1 stock.

On occassion, mag parts and others sell COMPLETE PS90 receivers.

·
Registered
163 Posts
PS90 SBR conversion

Once you have done the NFA registration on your PS90 and made an SBR, you can switch back and fourth. However, you CANNOT switch back and fourth as a means of not registering it with with the ATF. As soon as you put that short barrel on without a tax stamp, you're going to jail(if you get caught). Now as far as swapping reciever back and fourth(like ship suggested), having a second reciever that is NFA registered is the way to go, if you want to go somewhere that SBR's are not allowed, simply put on your 16" reciever, and you're good to go. In an SBR friendly state, pop on that short reciever and make some flame, noise, and awe.

As far as unregistering it, once the reciever is an NFA item, it is that way forever, and is subject to all of the rules regarding out of state transit, transfer of posession, and posession, so there is no registering and unregistering the reciever no matter what barrel it has. The only way that will satisfy the ATF that it is no longer an NFA item is if you furnish proof that it is destroyed. Sounds drastic, but that was straight from an examiner at the NFA, and a local agent at the Boston Field Office.

Hope that is helpful.

Gregg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: PS90 SBR conversion

Once you have done the NFA registration on your PS90 and made an SBR, you can switch back and fourth. However, you CANNOT switch back and fourth as a means of not registering it with with the ATF. As soon as you put that short barrel on without a tax stamp, you're going to jail(if you get caught). Now as far as swapping reciever back and fourth(like ship suggested), having a second reciever that is NFA registered is the way to go, if you want to go somewhere that SBR's are not allowed, simply put on your 16" reciever, and you're good to go. In an SBR friendly state, pop on that short reciever and make some flame, noise, and awe.

As far as unregistering it, once the reciever is an NFA item, it is that way forever, and is subject to all of the rules regarding out of state transit, transfer of posession, and posession, so there is no registering and unregistering the reciever no matter what barrel it has. The only way that will satisfy the ATF that it is no longer an NFA item is if you furnish proof that it is destroyed. Sounds drastic, but that was straight from an examiner at the NFA, and a local agent at the Boston Field Office.

Hope that is helpful.

Gregg
Yeah, didn't have a question, just sharing information and have no intention of doing anything without paperwork. St Paul agent also said if it were on one reciever and needed to go back to stock they needed to know the disposition of the short barrel....no wonder people get arrested when people working for the same agancy tell different people different stories.

·
Registered
163 Posts
NFA

Esteves

Wow, I'll have to point that out to them, thanks for digging that up. :?

Sorry bout' the missinformation, that's what they were feeding me.

Best, Gregg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts