FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got requests to put this back. This is a compilation of information and does not simply include the paperwork process which is only part of the problem when it comes to the PS90.

Think of this a a public note from myself to myself in the future.
This is what I did to get a tax stamped PS90.

First off. Take a deep breath. All of this stuff is easy. Most of it just takes a while. I've organized this so that it will be as fast as possible.

1.Get a gun.
2.Make a trust.
3.Order the parts. (DO NOT KEEP THE GUN AND THE PARTS AT THE SAME ADDRESS. WITHOUT A STAMP THIS IS CONSTRUCTIVE POSSESSION.)
4.Submit for the stamp.
5.Engrave the firearm.
6.Assemble.

Step 1.
Get a PS90. I got mine on Gunbroker for just about a grand. Get this started now because you're going to need the serial number for the tax stamp submission later. If you've never ordered a gun on the internet and you wish to do so: See 1a-1e
Step 1a.
Purchase the gun on the internet.
Step 1b.
Make note of the sellers information. Phone number, fax, Email address and your order number. You're going to need to get a local FFL to send them their information for shipping.
Step 1c.
Find a dealer or gunsmith who will accept the transfer. Tell them you bought a PS90 on whatever site and just ask them if they will accept the transfer. The gun cannot be shipped directly to you. This typically costs $10-$50. If the seller has not recently transferred firearms to your dealer or gunsmith of choice proceed to 1d.
Step 1d.
The dealer will likely ask you but if not ask the dealer or smith to send a copy of his FFL(Federal Firearms Licence) to the seller and make sure they note the order number. I've had more than one problem where the fax or email did not go through so make sure you call the seller when this is supposedly finished and double check to make sure everything is daisies.
Step 1e.
Supposing you can legally own a gun and nothing unforeseen happens you're done proceed to step 2 right now... that's right. Go to step 2 before your gun gets here.

Step 2.
Trust time. You're going to need two friends for this part. More importantly you're going to need two friends who support your ownership of scary assault weapons of doom... or Stargate fans either way You're going to go create a trust and you need the friends or hobos you paid or whatever to witness the trust in order to make it valid.
Step 2a.
I got my trust off of silencer shop. They make it really easy and that's the name of the game today. Make sure you name your trust something you'd want on your gun because you're going to have to engrave that on there later. The trust ran me $130.Step 2b.
Now that you've purchased the trust you will get an email. Click on the link. Yes that one. No the other one. Yes the one you got in the email. It will take you to silencer shops website and it will ask you a few questions. Answer them and only put trustees in there if you want them to also have to sign the trust document. If you want to lend out your new SBR you may want to just add them as Beneficiaries which you can do any time. Instructions for that are in your email. Answer all the questions and move on to 2c. 2b should have taken you no more than about 5 minutes.
Step 2c.
You'll get an email from silencer shop with a .PDF of the final trust document. Print that out. Just make one and for the love of all that is holy do not sign it yet.
Step 2d.
Go get the two homeless chaps you hired as witnesses and head down to the UPS store or some other notary with your as of yet unsigned trust. Tell the them that you would like to have them witness the signing of your trust. They'll have you sign and date and then they will affix their seal to it. Your trust is now valid. DO NOT LEAVE YET. This should cost $5 or $10.
Step 2d.
Ask the Notary to create a certified true copy of your trust. In fact have them make several. You'll need one every time you want to create an NFA item. NEVER SEND THE NFA YOUR ORIGINAL TRUST DOCUMENT. DO NOT EVER DO THIS.
Step 2e.
You're done with step 2. by this time you should have a gun or your gun should be on the way and you should have a valid trust and copies of that trust.

Step 3.
If your gun has not arrived do this now otherwise do this after the ATF forms. Do this after you have received your tax stamp if you don't have a second address like a friends house or an office at which to keep the parts separate from the gun or you will be committing a felony called constructive possession. You should do this step now if you can because unlike the world of the AR-15 parts for the PS90 are rarely readily available and it may take months to get them or they may not be in production by the time you get your forms back. The critical part here is of course the barrel but you must also have a muzzle device for the gun to function so you need to get both. Your first feeling is going to be that you're incredibly miffed that the ps90 uses non standard threads and that you've got to use an adapter to use anything from the AR15 world. Not only are the adapters expensive but so are the ps90 muzzle devices if you want to have that factory look. Here's the secret. The muzzle device is part of the unlock delay mechanism and regardless of thread pitch you'd need a PS90 specific muzzle device anyway. You'll understand when you get to physically making your PS90 into an SBR later.
Step 3a.
You need a barrel. You've got 3 options though there may be more that I don't know about. The first one. CMMG has started making barrels again but they've been on constant back order. it will take a couple months for you to get it. Your second option is High Desert Dog they will cut and thread your barrel to the correct size. They may or may not require you to have a tax stamp in hand before they will do any work. Your final option is to have TROS cut and thread your barrel but they will require that you send proof of your tax stamp which will add time to your build. Again Constructive possession is a felony. Keep the gun and barrel in different locations if you pre-order parts. I ordered a barrel from CMMG for my build but I have had dealings with both TROS and HDD. Mark with TROS was extremely responsive.
Step 3b.
Find a muzzle device. You've got two basic options. You can either have a native flash hider. or you can use an adapter so that you can use a suppressor or an AR15 hider or brake. CMMG, Tros, and High Desert dog all carry some type of muzzle device in addition gemtech is also an option. You must have a muzzle device or your SBR will not function.
Step 3c.
If your barrel and muzzle device are on their way you're done here. Move on to filling out the NFA paperwork. If they aren't come back here whenever you're ready. PS90 parts suck to acquire to the point where I sometimes buy two when I can find them. Keep that in mind when waiting. Move on to step 4 when you receive your gun.

Step 4.
You should have your gun. Now for the part you've been dreading. It's time to wade through the mire that is the ATF form 1 paperwork. Actually to tell you the truth I had a harder time finding a muzzle device I wanted. This should take you all of 30 minutes or maybe an hour.
Step 4a.
Gather the needed forms. Google ATF Form 1. You should see a link to the PDF at the top of your search on the ATF's website. Download that its the actual Application to make and register a firearm. That's right we're "Making" a firearm here. Next you'll need a copy of ATF form 5330.20 Just google it. its a certification of compliance. And says that on behalf of your trust you are a citizen or are at least are here legally. You will be filling out these forms on your computer. when you finally print them they must be printed DOUBLE SIDED. again. PRINT THEM DOUBLE SIDED.
Step 4b.
Take the form 1 and Provided that you're a US citizen in good legal standing and you're making a PS90 SBR copy the stuff in orange and replace the stuff in blue with your own information. Read over everything. This is a guide.Also this forum seems to not want me to rotate those images...
form1_p1.JPG form1_p2.JPG
Step 4c.
Now do the same with the your certification of compliance.
Cert_Comply.JPG
Step 4d.
When you're done filling those out. Print them out double sided in duplicate. If you fail on either of those points you will not get a stamp. Sign. Date. done.
Step 4e.
Write a check for $200 to The Department of Justice.
Step 4f.
You should now have Put this in a pile)
1.A certified true copy of your validated trust.
2.two double sided copies of the form 1.
3.two double sided copies of the certification of compliance.
4.A check made out to the DOJ for $200

Read over everything. Make sure everything is true and correct. Make sure everything is signed and dated. Make sure of everything again.
Step 4g.
Take this epic pile down to Fedex or wherever you want. and send it to: National Firearms Act Branch, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, 244 Needy Road, Suite 1250, Martinsburg, WV 25405
You'll find this address near the top of the form 1 in case you get to Fedex and realize you forgot what it was supposed to be.
Step 4h.
Ok, you're done with this step. Now you're going to wait a few months. Eventually you'll either get a stamp or an explanation. Before you get the stamp move onto step 5.

Step 5.
It's time to engrave your firearm. This is a legal requirement. IF you finish everything and assemble and you haven't done this you're guilty of a federal crime.
Step 5a
call up that FFL that you got your PS90 sent to and ask them where to get your firearm engraved.
Step 5b
Go to that place. Have them engrave your firearm like this:

My Trust
City, State

all of the other engraving requirements are already met by stampings that are already on your firearm.
Step 5c
Now it's really time to wait. you can't move on until you get the stamp.

Step 6
The final step. Assembly.
Step 6a
Get the old barrel off of the gun. This step is the same if bought a new barrel or if you are getting it cut and threaded. Eyeball a couple inches back from the base of the flash hider. Take a hacksaw. Cut. when you get through the barrel you'll notice the actual barrel is quite small and that there was a shroud around the whole thing. Pull the shroud off and all you'll have is this little tiny pencil barrel. You can just pull the barrel out from the back of the receiver. There are three springs. One in the front that was being held on by the shroud. That spring is what is held back by the muzzle device and why you need a muzzle device. the second spring is super long and is responsible for holding the charging handle in a forward position and the third is the spring that holds the receiver assembly button up.
Step 6b
put your new barrel in. Thread it through that long spring and make sure you put the unlock delay spring on in the front before you put the muzzle device on.
Step 6c
start threading on the muzzle device with the spring behind it. once you've got it going orient it in an up position and stop screwing it on from the front. Go to the back of the receiver and turn the barrel until the muzzle device is as tight as you can get it.
Step 6d
Go have fun. Keep a photocopy of your tax stamp with you. Keep the original in a very safe place.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Different thing JHS. That's for an individual submission which requires CLEO signoff and limits your flexibility down the line. The PS90 SBR process is not just the paperwork and its more complicated because of the relative lack of parts out there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
muzzle device adapter contacts my receiver when barrel is turned to tighten.

Hello all, one question;
Should the muzzle device adapter contact the receiver? I mean should there be a gap between the adapter and the receiver?

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Welcome!!! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think the gunsmith threaded my barrel too long. The thread adapter does not bottom out on the thread of the barrel. It hit the receiver first. Maybe he can eliminate some of the threading on the barrel so that the adapter bottoms out before the adapter hits the front of the receiver?

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
If the adaptor threads all the way down to the receiver, and you cannot move the barrel in the receiver, then the he cut the barrel too short. You should be able to push and pull, as well as turn the barrel slightly.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Hmm. :eek:

·
Registered
443 Posts
If your barrel isn't moving back slightly, yeah, someone fubared. If your talking about off a few, a trip to ace hardware might help. When my original barrel from HDD was messed up and "fixed" it ended up not moving anymore. Took a washer put in the muzzle nut to make it reciprocate again. Take the barrel and muzzle nut with you to fit and also make sure the washer won't interfere with the crown and fit in the muzzle nut. If your going to suppress, then might as well forget it. Otherwise this should work as it did for me unsuppressed.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
It's not the fact of the barrel being threaded too much. More of the adaptor not indexing on the end of the barrel.

Either the barrel is too short, or the internal area of the adaptor was cut too deep.

I'll have to dig out a barrel, and measure the total length.

Where did I put that stuff...

·
Registered
22,109 Posts

Starting end of ruler is bit used up, so used the rule further down.

I also measured the inside to the shoulder, where the barrel should stop. It was 7/8th's of an inch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sony - the measurement from the end of the adapter to the shoulder is 1", and 1/8" deeper than yours. Maybe this is the cause?? Maybe the gentleman above who mentioned the washer is correct. However, i dont trust a washer from the hardware store in my p90

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
The threading that was done on your barrel is right hand (clockwise), possibly SAE thread.

The Factory P/PS90 barrel is left hand (counter-clockwise), metric thread.

Having said that, you either have to put a washer, have the 'smith make a new adaptor to the correct internal dimension, or buy a SBR barrel, and adaptor.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts