FN Herstal Firearms banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm a noob here, and contemplating the purchase of a PS90. I'd like to mod it to a SBR. The last time I checked the NFA simple possession of an unregistered short barrel and the weapon it can be fitted to, regardless of whether it’s mounted or not, is a violation of the NFA Rules.

So my question is: What are the step by step procedures for complying with the NFA concerning the PS90? I tried Search and couldn’t find an answer. Got a link?

Thanks, Quentin

·
Registered
86 Posts
I believe you are correct
I think (read my opinion) that the correct order is to

1 purchase the rifle , youll need the serial # for the form 1
2 fill out the form 1 which can be ordered from atf.gov
3 have your local sherif sign the form and complete the fingerprint cards
4 submit the form 1 in duplicate with $200 check and pasport photos
5 shoot the rifle for a while until the approved form 1 arrives
6 purchase and instal the short bbl

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
panaceabeachbum said:
I believe you are correct
I think (read my opinion) that the correct order is to

1 purchase the rifle , youl'l need the serial # for the form 1
2 fill out the form 1 which can be ordered from atf.gov
3 have your local sheriff sign the form and complete the fingerprint cards
4 submit the form 1 in duplicate with $200 check and passport photos
5 shoot the rifle for a while until the approved form 1 arrives
6 purchase and install the short bbl
You are correct! I just got off the phone with the NFA Branch in Martinsburg, WV. The agent I spoke to said it is incumbent on the purchaser / manufacturer (you) to make sure they do NOT have both rifle and barrel in possession before approval.

Two additional steps:

7. Fill out Form 533.20, which essentially states you are an American Citizen. Send that in with Form 1.

8. AFTER approval you must have YOUR name and state engraved on the receiver. since you are "manufacturering" a "New" rifle. this can be done by a gunsmith.

Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Well, not all smiths will do the engraving. On other forums, I have seen guys always looking for places to ENgrave their guns after they do this (on various types of guns). A guy in Houston charges $80 to do it.

For the $100 CMMG will install the new barrel for ya and engrave it. Not a bad deal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ShipWreck said:
Well, not all smiths will do the engraving. On other forums, I have seen guys always looking for places to ENgrave their guns after they do this (on various types of guns). A guy in Houston charges $80 to do it.

For the $100 CMMG will install the new barrel for ya and engrave it. Not a bad deal.
Good to know! Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Yes, they sell the barrel anyway. When U get your paperwork - just call and give them the credit card # I guess. Then ship the receiver and paperwork to them, and they should handle it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Why is it that everyone talks about have their gun engraved when making a SBR? I just did a SBR AR-15 and left the form blank where it asks about engraving. NFA paper came back with no problems. And why would you want your name and social # on your gun anyways?

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Jerrod said:
Why is it that everyone talks about have their gun engraved when making a SBR? I just did a SBR AR-15 and left the form blank where it asks about engraving. NFA paper came back with no problems. And why would you want your name and social # on your gun anyways?
By law, U are to engrave the date it is done and the person who short barrelled it (company), from what I remember reading. U need not put your soc sec #. But, I've seen this talked about on many sites by guys who have short barreled them.

U better check into it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jerrod said:
The ATF Agent I spoke to made it clear you have to put YOUR name and the name of YOUR state of residence on the weapon. nothing about Social Secuirity number was mentioned. In fact I asked him twice: What specifically do you have to have engraved? Answer: Name and State.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You actually need to put your Name, city and state. (John D. Doe, Las Vegas, NV). You are making a new NFA firearm by filing a Form 1. If you don't want to put your name on it, send it to the company that puts the barrel on, have them file the from 1 (given they are a Class 3 dealer), than they put their name on it. They will transfer it back to you on a from 4 to your Class 3 dealer. You might end up paying more in fees to your dealer and it takes longer, but you might have a higher resale value.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Jerrod said:
Well again I'll ask: Why did my paperwork come back without any problem?
Since there is no box spec for "engraving" as mentioned in your above post I am guessing no one has answered since we are unsure which box on the form you are refering to .
I assume you are refrencing box 4h , additional description of markings which will appear on firearm . This entry can be left blank if you are not going to asign an additional model or serial # etc to the firearm.

Most importantly you would have had to fill out box # 3B for the form to be approved which is applicants name and address. If you filed the form 1 your self you would have written your name in this box, otherwise it would not have been approved . The name written in box #3B is considered the manufacturer and this name and city/state must appear on the firearms frame/receiver in text .065 high or greater and to a depth of .003 or greater to be in NFA compliance.

So basicly it doesnt matter if you leave box #4h blank or not , its the info in box 3B that must be permanetly engraved in the receiver of the newly manufactured NFA weapon, If you filed the form1 as an individual your name , city and state must be perm engraved in the firearm , like it or not.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Jerrod said:
to avoid being in possesion of contraband

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
So, let me get this straight.

I cannot own the PS90 with a 16" barrel if I also own a 9" barrel because the ATF would say such ownership constitutes me wanting to manufacture an illegal SBR.

So, if I own a flex saw, a hack saw or dremmel AND a PS90, same rules would apply - no?

Heck, if you own ANY legal length rifle or a shotgun AND a flex saw, hack saw or dremmel - you are in fact in collusion to manufacture NFA weapon and any reasonable ATF agent would see through the guise of your criminal mind.

-TH

·
Registered
857 Posts
Thermallator said:

I cannot own the PS90 with a 16" barrel if I also own a 9" barrel because the ATF would say such ownership constitutes me wanting to manufacture an illegal SBR.

So, if I own a flex saw, a hack saw or dremmel AND a PS90, same rules would apply - no?

Heck, if you own ANY legal length rifle or a shotgun AND a flex saw, hack saw or dremmel - you are in fact in collusion to manufacture NFA weapon and any reasonable ATF agent would see through the guise of your criminal mind.

-TH
What are you implying? That gun control laws have no effect? :shock:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thermallator said:

-TH
No one said it had to make SENSE, this is our Government at work. After all, beauracrats have to find SOMETHING wrong from time to time or they are not doing their jobs. :wink:

·
Registered
86 Posts
in the ATF reg book page 92 , subpartG 479.102 "How must Firearms be identified" states
"
(a) You, as the manufacurer or maker of a firearm must legibly identify the firearm

(1) by casting or engraving or otherwise conspiciously placing a serial#
(2) by casting engraving etc... certain additional information
(i) the model if such designation has been made
(ii) the caliber or gauge
(iii) your name or appropriate abreviation
(iv) in the case of a domesticly made firearm the city, and state where the firearm was made

I know the model, serial # and caliber are usualy on the gun but as the manufacturer of a new nfa firearm you as the manufacturer (on the form1) have to also have your name , city and state present.

Hope this helps

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.