FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you running a suppressor on your PS90 SBR have you seen any blast baffle erosion? I have read posts on silencertalk about serious baffle erosion on AR's with barrels less than 12.5" and want to know if this is the same for the PS90 shortened barrel.

·
Administrator
11,185 Posts
Any powder that does not completely burn in the barrel will burn in the can causing erosion. Short barrels usually mean no complete burn of powder.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
11hqfi9.jpg

After 3k of 5.56 - 10.5" Upper ^

brakeoutcloseup.jpg

1500- 10.5" upper^

5C29C1D5-0552-4D43-8FB4-C7079AAC9274-4664-0000026BD0BAE8A2_zps7935a464.jpg

5/600 rds split between 12" and 14.5"upper (SUREFIRE muzzle brake)

bottom line as HK stated above - a lot of un-burnt powder = erosion. SBRs will only increase wear on your suppressor - that's why most folks run a brake muzzle device to act as a sacrificial baffle - ergo you may marginally reduce the rate at which it will erode the surface (albeit the muzzle device or the blast baffle of the suppressor) you cannot completely prevent the act from happening (and a SBR/short barrel will only exacerbate erosion and wear)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the baffle erosion issue using the 10.4" barrel would it be best not to use a suppressor on the PS90 SBR?

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
With the baffle erosion issue using the 10.4" barrel would it be best not to use a suppressor on the PS90 SBR?
The factory sub rounds are made just for the short barrel of the P90 and a suppressor.

It also works great in a PS90 SBR with no problems and I have not seen any unusual baffle erosion.

Reactions: BigBuckeyeGuy

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Yeah as long as you can find the subs and do not mind spending about $5 a round for factory subs. This another reason I wish a company would come out with some subsonic 5.7 ammo

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
What about ss197, would the use of standard factory ammo cause significant premature baffle erosion?

·
Registered
876 Posts
I wouldn't worry to much about baffle erosion if you properly maintain your suppressor. All of my cans have some kinda erosion (except the ones with coated in unicorn tears). I've got a 5 gallon metal bucket with eds red. When ever I have time I'll leave the suppressor in the bucket over night and clean with baby bottle brush and dish soap. Wash it out and then immediately use my compressor to spray out the water. Spray some foaming CLP in it and spray again with compressor. Everything is going to wear down eventually like a cars engine, but you can perform maintenance to it running longer. Personally I don't see anymore erosion on the baffles on my SBR's vs 16+"'s. I do get more carbon fouling in the gun with SBR's though. But if you shoot SMG's or Semi Sub guns you are used to it.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Good thing I don't have to pay that much for them. :?
Still got some le connections huh:mrgreen: I hear ya!! Would love to have a few boxes myself. Have always wanted some just cannot justify GB prices. Keep hoping an alternative choice will come available.

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
Still got some le connections huh:mrgreen: I hear ya!! Would love to have a few boxes myself. Have always wanted some just cannot justify GB prices. Keep hoping an alternative choice will come available.
Last time I checked there were a few places that were reloading sub rounds for the platform.

I would never use them but there are options.

Reactions: sldcountry

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
I just want some 193, is that too much to ask for in life? He!!, at this point I am even happy to pay for it; with suppressors on the way I am definitely lacking in the 193 category:(

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I just want some 193, is that too much to ask for in life? He!!, at this point I am even happy to pay for it; with suppressors on the way I am definitely lacking in the 193 category:(
There are zero boxes of it on gun joker right now. When it is available expect to pay $250-400 a box. It is restricted because it is armor piercing thus us lowly civilians cannot have it. I only know of two other sources for subsonic ammo but have not heard any review's on either one. Getting my hands on some subsonic rounds has been something I have tried to do for a while now. Just do not have that kinda money to blow on 50 rounds even if it was available.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I was planning on using a M4-2000 on my PS90 and the SS197 rounds. Would a flash hider mount or a break mount be better? Was wonder if the break mount would be louder with the suppressor than the flash hider mount?

Or would it be better to just put a factory FN flash hider and call it a day?

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
SB193 I think has the same restriction as SS198? Or does it ship from bonded warehouse like SS190. SB193 is one of the cheapest restricted 5.7s to pick up for us civis bersides 198.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Which suppressor mount would be best for this situation a AAC Blackout flash hider mount or Blackout muzzle break?

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
SB193 I think has the same restriction as SS198? Or does it ship from bonded warehouse like SS190. SB193 is one of the cheapest restricted 5.7s to pick up for us civis bersides 198.
It ships just like the 190.

·
FN Supporter
433 Posts
Don't worry about it. The 5.7 has a LOT less pressure and heat than a 5.56. I've got 5.7 cans with 7075 aluminum guts with thousands of rounds, many on a P90, and while they do show wear, they're nowhere near worn out. With a stainless/inconel can the can life on a PS90 SBR is going to be well north of 100k, IMO. Put this way...if you can afford enough ammo to wear it out the cost of a new can won't be a problem for you.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts