FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read several topics about the Standard (White Ghost Ring) Sight on the PS90. I just don't understand why so many people don't like that sight. I took a PS90 from my local gun shop went outside in the bright sunlight. I did not have any trouble locating the white ghost ring even in the brightest conditions. If that is the case with all PS90's why is so many people against that sight? What am I missing here? Does the Standard
Sight not hold it's Zero?

I have ordered a new PS90 with the Standard White Ghost Ring Sight however, my gunshop has the TR version in stock. Should I possibly change my order and go with a TR. :?

·
Registered
39 Posts
its not that its a bad sight, its just that in certain light conditions, the white reticle will wash out, and is not viewable. i have noticed this when under a covered shooting area, and the target isn't covered, and in a bright area. with a white target in the same condition, its almost inpossible to see. i just upgraded to the black reticle sight, and love it.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
If the white ring site works for you that is great. You are the one that will be using it. So get what works for you.

Mine had the white ring sight on it and I had trouble seeing it with both eyes open. I am right handed but left eye dominant and the white ring is just not bright enough for me to keep the rifle on target in certain conditions without closing my left eye.

So I replaced mine with a Aimpoint that works much better for me. The Black ring is indeed better especially when aiming at a white target.

TA

·
Registered
980 Posts
Poseidon5 said:
its not that its a bad sight, its just that in certain light conditions, the white reticle will wash out, and is not viewable. i have noticed this when under a covered shooting area, and the target isn't covered, and in a bright area. with a white target in the same condition, its almost inpossible to see. i just upgraded to the black reticle sight, and love it.
yeah, the trijicon tripower has the same problem- washes out when shooting from shade into a bright area

·
Vendor
5,593 Posts
You can change your order and for $200.00 more (I think) you can get the PS90 with the USSS sight. It is 100% better then the white ghost ring. The white ring sight is not that bad when you consider it does'nt use batteries and has a good FOV.
It's up to you and your preference. Just remember the Tri-rail has very small side rails and will limit your selection of optics when you put on the tac-light and/or laser.

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
Texas Armadillo said:
If the white ring site works for you that is great. You are the one that will be using it. So get what works for you.
+1
You are the end user and only you know your vision capabilities.

·
Registered
54 Posts
It's a matter of personal opinion, peoples eyes react differently. Just like ACOGs. There are a lot of people out there who don't see threw ACOGs very well. The sight on the PS90 itself is fantasic, quality wise. i think they retail for around 700.00. Well made, good optic. Having said that, it's definatly not for everyone.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
The 1st PS90 I shot was in the evening, in the winter time. The sun was going down, and I could barely see the ringed sight. For whatever reason, the "T" wasn't coming up like it should in low light. So, it was very tough to use. After that, I knew that when I was going to buy mine, I'd replace the site.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Shootist, I'm with you, I have no trouble picking up the sight in all lighting conditions. My only issue is when target shooting the white sight is invisible against a paper white background. On anything but targets, however nothing is white like that, and it is cheapest just to buy black targets. If the black sight was the same price, I would get it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have yet to see the white sight with my own eyes. I've seen pictures of them and I know what it looks like. But whenever I go to a store and look through one I can never find it. That is the main reason I went with the TR model.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I can't pick up the sight picture without concentrating on the reticle. This is too much time wasted trying to make a shot. I have changed to the EOTECH 551.A65 with quick change cam. Wonderful, I can see red everyday. Both eyes open now, great field of vision. I wish I would have known the options when I laid out the cash, I would have orded zero optics and a triple rail. Love the rig, hate the optics. Without iron sites the optics have to work. 8)

·
Registered
25 Posts
whitetiger7654 said:
I have yet to see the white sight with my own eyes. I've seen pictures of them and I know what it looks like. But whenever I go to a store and look through one I can never find it. That is the main reason I went with the TR model.
I had this problem at first, and it's why I waited so long to buy one. I got one, figuring I'd yank the optic off and put an aimpoint there.

Anyway, once I got it home and played with it, and figured out where the ring was, now I'm good. Apparently, at the store, when I was holding it the ring would've been out of the Field of View. Now that I know where it is, I never have a problem picking it up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think the major problem with the factory sight was the fact that it was overengineered. Having 2 different reticles and 2 different places to gather light.

In very dark conditions the T shaped crosshair shows up nicely and is easy to see. It does have a tendency to washout even under low light situations. Had the fiberoptic window been set up to gather light and focus it on one reticle like Trijicon's ACOG or Accupoint instead using 2 windows to light 2 seperate day and night reticles we wouldn't be having the problems that we do. It wouldn't have been outside the realm of possibilities for them to still have the rings setup to be lit only during bright conditions.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
whs said:
I think the major problem with the factory sight was the fact that it was overengineered. Having 2 different reticles and 2 different places to gather light.

In very dark conditions the T shaped crosshair shows up nicely and is easy to see. It does have a tendency to washout even under low light situations. Had the fiberoptic window been set up to gather light and focus it on one reticle like Trijicon's ACOG or Accupoint instead using 2 windows to light 2 seperate day and night reticles we wouldn't be having the problems that we do. It wouldn't have been outside the realm of possibilities for them to still have the rings setup to be lit only during bright conditions.
I agree with you there.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I believe that all of the PS90 sighting systems are incredible. Just choose the one that you are most comfortable with.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have found that the standard factory sight works verywell for me in about every shooting enviroment.

There has been a slight problem with washout when viewing a target from a dark area or room and aiming to a high light background in a indoor range or covered area looking outward.

The standard sight is more than good enough for outdoor field use and easy to use on my black ps90. I have found it is to easy to get to much weight on modifications to the sight package and keeping the sight simple and gun light weight as posible is the ticket.

I out fitted my green ps90 with a tri rail and tri power only to have a over weight gun which was a big disadvantage. I pulled all the extras off the Ps90 and went with the USG/USSS sight to keep is easy and effective which i find is a superior streamlined package, something FNH originally provided. Live and learn i guess,.... :cry:

A

·
0 Posts
Well, that black reticle sight is a lot better than the white ringed one. Too bad FN won't offer some sort of trade in for people who own the white ringed one. A discounted price, maybe.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I do wish that Ring Sights would offer some of the different reticles. I think the one they have on the HC-10-62 would be great on a P90.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Well, I just got mine today, and it has the regular white sight.

I agree, under the bright light today, there were times when it was a bit hard to see.

Then I had an epiphany.. :D

You don't really NEED a reticule at all. Since the sight picture is a rather smallish round window, it's easy to just center the "center" of the whole sight picture on a target and hit it with no problem.

Now, you won't win a target shooting contest or shoot small groups like that, but you certainly WILL put rounds on target (ie man-size target)...

I'm gonna reserve judgement for now.

But so far, I love it...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts